• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Nice read on Hawks from Hoopsworld

Admin

this was posted by BOSH in the around the league forum......wanted it to get more press so reposting the Hawks part here.

Quote:

Hawks: The Hawks came to the RMR with 4 just drafted rookies on the roster and Travis Hansen. Hansen showed what he could do, hit the three occasionally, play defense and be a leader. He showed lots of athleticism. He will be a good player off the bench next season, he will be able to make sure plays are called correctly and be the best defender on the squad. Junior Harrington should have played himself onto a spot on the team. The Hawks don’t have a true point guard on the roster and this gives Harrington a great opportunity. He isn’t going to be the type of guy who scores in bunches for you, but he is going to run the point with no mistakes and pass the ball to the guys that need it.

Josh Smith showed the most athletic ability out of every player at the RMR. He is a streaky player, some games exploding for lots of points and boards. Other games, he just disappeared. Lots of this has to do with the fact he is right out of high school.
Given time, he could be the next Vince Carter in his first couple of years.
He can jump probably higher than anyone else at the RMR. His rebounding will help the Hawks and he should be able to bulk up to play the PF spot in a year or two. Will be an amazing player.
Josh Childress is going to be the next Scottie Pippen.
He is steady and never plays outside himself. He continually got around 14 ppg and 6-8 boards each game. Expect this same production for the coming season. He can handle the ball and does a good job distributing the rock. Look for him to start at SF. Donta Smith did not show me a lot, neither did Royal Ivey. Look for the both to be on the active roster most of the time, just not seeing the floor a lot. Ivey has more of a chance to play as he can play either guard position and the Hawks will be lacking help there.

These Hawks will see a lot of time this coming season as the team is young. They will be force in the league once these guys get a little time together under their belts.

Now, while I realize that this isnt Jerry West or even BK talking about our boys, its still nice to get some comparisons here and if we can come out of this draft with a VC type player (who also plays defense, is left handed, much younger, and hopefully healthier) plus the 2nd coming of Scottie Pippen I would be THRILLED. Gotta control the excitement though as its only summer league so far......but the one thing you have to say is that neither of them were busts in the summer league games and thats usually a pretty telling story as to the type of NBA game they have.

Some say any press is good press, as long as your name is mentioned; I much rather have good press. I read the write up in hoops world and thought, "boy they really liked what they saw in smooth and chill." One can only pray that they become the next vince and pipen....Keep up the good work fellas.

This goes against the other remarks I read on Chill. Then again, I've read a lot of biased views against Hawks' picks so far, so I don't know if I believe the negatives on him.

I'm thrilled that neither of these guys pulled a Dermarr in the summer. Sure, summer league doesn't mean a lot, but when a #6 pick looks helpless like Dermarr did his first, second...and third...summer, it makes you sick.

• Premium Member

Why?

Because it's not a team sport. A lot of guys don't do well in a me me me atmosphere. Hinrich last year looked like a bum with no structure.

About Demarr....

You say he looked bad in Summer league...

He did his summer league with Glover. However, he also played Summer league at the SoCal Summer League and he dominated. Putting up 36 and 41 with steals galore.

All of this to say that I wouldn't use Summer league stats and reviews to judge a player. A better yard stick is after they get to vet camp and they play with a team. Then you no longer have GUYS trying to get the coaches attention by being atheletic, but you have guys trying to do what the coach says...

Just chill to the preseason play start then you can start to make some reasonable judgements.