• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dampier force to sign with Hawks!!!

JTFan31

Quote:

Notes: Isiah Thomas flew to Chicago late yesterday morning along with Frank Murphy, the resident salary-cap expert, to meet with Bulls operations chief John Paxson and figure out a way to get Jamal Crawford to New York. "They're starting with a blank sheet of paper," said Aaron Goodwin, who represents the restricted free agent. "It'd be disappointing if they don't get something done." ... A league source yesterday indicated that Golden State agreed to send restricted free agent Erick Dampier to the Knicks two weeks ago, but the deal was called off by Warriors vice president of basketball operations Chris Mullin before anything was finalized. It now seems the capable big man will be forced to sign with Atlanta, which can trade him after 60 days. Memphis and Indiana have both contacted the Hawks about working something out along those lines.

Well we just have to see what The Pacers will be offering us, but I am sure the Memphis deal is much better because I am sure it will include Swift in it. So this means we don't have to wait till Dec. 15 to trade him, we can trade him anytime after September 30th?

• Premium Member

Nothing is completed until his name is on the dotted line.

He can elect to sign with Phoenix, Indy, or Memphis for the MCE...

Just like we got Jax last year.

Money doesn't always equal signed players.

Ask Utah.

We may just have to prove our pieces and coach before we can sign good free agents.

• Premium Member

Salary Concerns??

A SNT would ultimately be done to help GS. Do you think GS would sign Damp to a SNT that is as low as the hawks will? I think that the Warriors wanted both Swift and Battier out of the SNT deal. I think that the Warriors wanted both Bender and Foster out of the SNT deal.

However, we have put a limit on what we will sign Damp for and the reason may be to trade him. However, I heard Woodson and he really wants Damp...

The other reason may be:

All three teams are putting up questionable players.

Yes Damp had an awesome year last year, but the years before were crap.

Yes, Swift has the tools but has yet to break out.

Yes, Bender was a McDonald's MVP, but has yet to show anything as a pro.

Maybe all three teams want to see what they got and what they are getting.

Exactly...If we sign him, then we should keep him. From what I am reading and understanding, there aren't anymore true centers out there. So what are we going to be rebuilding with?

Centers are probably the only position an older (by NBA standards) person can play. That is why Shaq will have at 3 more good years in him. He doesn't need to be quick like a guard. Just man the middle!!

We can rebuild with Dampier at 30. Just make sure you bring in someone next year or the year after under Dampier to learn the position and philosophy of the team.

This Ogden kid comes out in 2006. He is the next Shaq from what I am hearing. We would have to be the sorriest team in the league to have any shot at getting him. I don't think we will ever be the sorriest team in the league even during our rebuilding years. We need to keep Dampier!!

Quote:

Centers are probably the only position an older (by NBA standards) person can play. That is why Shaq will have at 3 more good years in him. He doesn't need to be quick like a guard. Just man the middle!!

Thats a great point and I never thought of it that way. Damp can give us another 5-6 years there and still be productive, because he doesnt need to be that fast or quick, all we need is what he brings, man the middle, get the boards, block shots and do some dirty work inside offensively.

• Moderators

Centers don't always age that well. When the wheels fall off you can go just like Hakeem Olajuwon did for Toronto. He was much better start with and significantly older than Damp but by the end of his contract Damp may be done.

Remember, Hakeem carried a team to the NBA finals while Damp can't even carry a team to a winning record.

I also hope we trade Damp if we sign him.