• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Walker a Hawk?

Vafan

.....is Antoine's aversion to playing defense. He actually brings skills that are very complimentary to Al Harrington's. Harrington is a post oriented small forward, while Walker is a perimeter oriented power forward. Now, I don't want Walker chucking three pointers like he is known to do. However, Walker is a player who is an excellent ball handler with good passing instincts. He is a player that can handle the ball at the top of the key and set the offense at times. He did this a lot under Jim O'Brien in Boston.

This move may be a temporary move, but it is one that clears around $7-8 million off next year's cap in the form of Jason Terry. Realize that the only player left from all the losing times is now Chris Crawford.

Jaywalker told me that Billy Knight really likes Mo Williams, so don't be surprised to see Billy attempt to make a move to get Williams for the point guard spot.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, just saw it at this link and honestly I don't hate this too much. I really feel Antoine is not part of our future. We should know this. He will either be A) trade fodder at the deadline for picks or young talent or B) cap space at the end of the season so we can sign free agents.

I like Terry as a person and heck, he may blow up in Dallas, but it's obvious our uncertainty on what he can play, pg/sg, caused alot of stress. This removes that.

And one last thing. Let's say we don't pick up another free agent point guard or get one in trade, will we actually see Diaw at point? I know many of us don't think he's able to do that, but at least it looks as though he may be given that chance. Who knows? he may turn out to be pretty good and we stumbled onto a gem. then again he may not and we'll struggle mightily.

if we do this deal, does this mean we don't go after Swift as our power forward? i think that may be the case. you'd have antoine starting with josh smith backing up. antoine goes and josh platoons with chris crawford..so josh is the pf of the future...

so essentially we'd be trying to trade walker and dampier(possibly) at the trade deadline for maybe young center potential or future picks.

I think it only means that getting Stromile will be put on hold. Obviously, Billy Knight isn't going to overpay to get Stromile Swift, who has really yet to prove he is a starter in this league. It would take overpaying to get him away from Memphis at this point. I think Billy Knight would like to get him with a deal around the MCE, but Memphis will match that.

IMO, Billy will patiently await this and see if Stro ends up signing the one year tender that makes him an unrestricted free agent next year. If that happens, then Billy can get his man next year, which he has already cleared off $7 million from the cap. Atlanta will have a lot of money to spend next year.

If this trade goes down and it looks like it might. The Hawks just went from Bad to worst. We had a summer power ranking of 29, just above the Bobcats....well I think now they surpass us. The Hawks will absolutely blow this year and I guarantee this JT will be spectacular in Dallas.....mark my words.

JT will be spectacular in Dallas, they have a coach....the Hawks never did.

Has Billy ever said that Swift is his man? I know he may fit the profile and alot of people here like him, but I doubt that Billy Knight is making trades with the specific intent of landing Stromile Swift next year. If that were the case I hope he would aim a little higher.

I like the deal.

And for one reason only.

We get rid of Hendu now. Whether AW plays for us this year, or there is more deals to come. Hendu's 8 mil of salary will be working on the floor, not sitting in street clothes on the bench.

Sure, there will be more shoes to drop. Maybe this is what Damp needed to get off his a$$ and sign.

But the bottom line is it means we have a lot more $$$ on the floor this year instead of in street clothes.

I still hope it's not true, or if it is, then BK has a follow up move already set. Otherwise, I dont even think Pete Babcock would have made that move. I'd give up Hendu and the extra cap space to get Walker, well actually I probably wouldnt, but no way I would throw in JT as well. It's not gonna happen, no way!

• Moderators

Walker is more likely to be an All-Star in Atlanta than JT in Dallas, IMO. JT isn't the distributor that Nash was and he will have to share shots with Dirk, Finley, Daniels, etc. That won't leave him enough shots to garner All-Star consideration in the West and he isn't enough of a playmaker to make it over people like Parker, Baron Davis or Nash in the West, IMO.

• Premium Member

Is that what this boils down to? Already hurting at PG and bloated at the swing position, we trade our most experienced "PG" and basically pick up a big SF... I need the big picture here, because I do not see Walker in our future plans - near or forseeable.

As far as what we are giving up?

Nelson will have JT running and gunning in Dallas. I think he'll improve to where he can be serviceable at the point, if unspectacular; but he will be able to put up numbers. The defense will cheat, they'll kick it to JT, and he will have a picnic.

Hendu is entering a contract year, is anxious to play, and wants to prove himself. I've always liked the way that he approached the game and I look for him to stay in Dallas when it's all done. He's going to prove a lot of people wrong.

Both of them have something to prove and they'll both get a chance to do it in Dallas. I've always been in favor of moving JT for equal value, but I don't think this equal value makes sense for us. I would have at least kept him until the trade deadline. Hendu was coming off the books at the end of the season. So freeing up his space, just to bring on 'Toine seems like a lateral move.

Bottom line for me: As a done deal with nothing to follow, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

well reportedly we get a PG back in delk

As for Walker, he gives us options. First we can re-sign him if things work out. Second we can trade him this season. Third we can SNT him like we did Stephen Jackson and get good talent back. Fourth we can let him go if we think we can attract a top free agent.

I like this move because it finishes what BK started: cleaning out the house. (CC excluded)