• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We are basically Damps only option now

Admin

With the Bulls about to get Stro and the Knicks dealing for Crawford, both SnT options the Warriors had potentially talked about are over. That would leave us as the only team that can offer more than the MLE to Dampier and no teams out there who have reportedly tried to trade for him.

If we get Walker and Damp and still keep enough cap room to sign a few decent hard working vet players I will definitely applaud Knight for what he has done with us. This team is drastically more talented than our team from last midseason and we will have some nice things to look forward to in the future.

It seems to be the opinion of the media and Dampier that the Knicks are better off than the Hawks. First, the Hawks have a lot of flexibility with their salary situation down the road, which the Knicks do not have. The Knicks have a lot of untradeable long term contracts that will keep them from being under the cap at any point in the near future. They have a lot of overpaid players.

Secondly, the Knicks aren't considerably better when you compare the team's position wise.

Let's say the Hawks are about to sign Mike James or Damon Jones to play point guard. Two guys who are good distributors, don't turn the ball over, and play good defense. Not to mention they can knock down the open J.

Of course, New York has Marbury at point guard. They will have the advantage there, regardless.

Childress and Houston match up pretty well. Houston obviously has the experience advantage, but Childress is far more athletic and defensive oriented.

Al Harrington would be an upgrade over Tim Thomas everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

Antoine Walker brings some different things to the table than Kurt Thomas, but Walker is clearly the more skilled player. Thomas is a better defender, but Walker is better at pretty much everything else.

If Dampier decides to sign with Atlanta, his competition on the Knicks is Nazr Mohammed. Dampier is clearly the better player between the two.

Quote:

Childress and Houston match up pretty well. Houston obviously has the experience advantage, but Childress is far more athletic and defensive oriented.

let's not get carried away here. I like our position better also, but childress can't even be mentionned in comparison to houston. Houston is one of the best shooters in the world and while overpaid, can do alot. Childress is an unproven rookie who looked bad in summer leagues.

Also you can't include dampier on our roster when comparing NY and ATL as far as where Damp should go. If you put Damp in NY, Damp and Nazr would destroy Collier.

I think that IF WE GOT DAMP, we're as good as NY this year and much better off for the future. If we don't get Damp, NY is way better than us this year, but I still like our position and flexibility for the future. NY will not contend for a championship any time soon.

• Premium Member

If we sign Damp I don't believe it will be along term contract. On the other hand if he happens to wind up in Atlanta maybe Woodson can light a fire under his butt. Old habits are hard to break though.

Antoine Walker can take over a game when he wants to. Very talented player that needs to be with the right coach. Woodson is going to be a good coach, so let's see what happens.

The Knicks - this team is in the worst situnation in the league period, they are a joke. Look at the long term contracts they have, no one wants their old overpaid players and it is Isiah's fault. At the trade deadline he brought in Marbury who is a playground type very talented player but he has never won wherever he's played and that says a lot. I just laughed my tail off when Isiah came in and made that trade. They will be a .500 team for a while uinless of course the league finds a way to help them out again (i.e. Ewing).

My .02

• Premium Member

I don't think it's a case of Damp not wanting us, I think it's a case of Damp wanting more money before he ends his career.

Let's face it, this is Damp's last significant contract. He got out of a 2 year deal to sign a new deal. He's 30. We offer him 3 yrs and he's done? He wants maybe 5 yrs. I can't blame him for waiting it out. However, the money becomes a bigger factor. Because the teams that can give him 6 yr can only give him the MLE. And Nobody has come up with a SNT to satisfy GS. So, we have him over a barrell. He has to be thinking of taking a 1 year deal with somebody... BUT will he get a better deal next year? Prolly not.

I think that he will play well for 2 years maybe 3. I would even give him a 4 yr deal and he prolly would accept it... But if we are offering 3 yrs 26.4 million, we are really gansta in our dealing and we should expect that he will hold out and think about it.

The alternative is 6 years 33 million...

If we say 4 yrs 35.2 million... I'm sure he would have to take it.

If we say 5 yrs 40 million, I know he'd take it.