• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Knight article from AJC this morning

Admin

Quote:

Billy Knight readily admits there is much more work to be done --- "We need to get bigger, we need shooters, rebounding, defense, shot-blocking --- other than that, we're all right," he said Wednesday. But Knight let it slip that he believes his latest acquisitions are promising for his bluprint to rebuild the Hawks.

The additions of all-star forward Antoine Walker and serviceable guard Tony Delk from Dallas became official, prompting Knight to say: "I think we can be competitive."

Of course, that is a relative term. "Competitive" does not translate into playoff contender, but it does display how Knight is cautiously optimistic about the steps taken since the end of another abysmal season in April.

"I don't like to put labels on anything," Knight said. "It still comes down to practicing hard, playing hard, having a professional attitude. . . . That's all I expect --- to be professional about it. Let's go and do it."

The Hawks are surely a long way from where Knight would like them to get. But moving point guard Jason Terry and longtime forward Alan Henderson for Walker and Delk added size and consistent scoring to a club lacking in both.

"And they are two proven players who I think are proven winners," Knight said. "We needed more size, more big people."

Walker is the major cog in the deal. He is a 6-foot-9 power forward who has vast skills --- he can shoot from 3-point range, score in the low post, pass it and rebound --- and "plays to win [every] game," Knight said.

With the run-and-shoot Mavericks, Walker was less the force he had been with the Celtics, where he averaged more than 20 points and made the 2003 All-Star Game. He was unhappy with his role in which his scoring average shrank to 14 a game.

He has no such worries with the Hawks. As it stands, he is the team's No. 1 option, with fellow forward Al Harrington as the second viable source of points. "Those two are pretty interchangeable," Knight said. "Either can play the other forward position."

Knight remains hopeful that the team will land coveted free-agent center Erick Dampier, who has yet to accept or reject a $50 million offer from the Hawks.

"We're still working on it," Knight said of Dampier, who visited the New York Knicks on Wednesday. "We will pursue it until I think it's not applicable anymore."

Delk is a scoring guard who can play the point for limited spells. Knight did not seem comfortable with Delk as the starting floor leader, indicating the point guard situation "has to be addressed."

Knight credited Terry as an important part of the team that had to be dealt to make the trade possible. Dallas lost its point guard, Steve Nash, who signed as a free agent with Phoenix. Terry steps into the Mavs' starting role.

Henderson, meanwhile, proclaims himself fit after back troubles severely limited his playing time last year. "We all liked Jason," Knight said. "He did a good job for us. But things change in this league. That's the nature of it. . . . And Alan has had injury problems, but he has been playing and ready to go. . . . [but] I was looking to change the team around and improve the best we can."

Knight did not seem concerned about changing Walker's penchant for forcing shots in tight situations. "He's a competitor. He gets a reputation for taking on the burden of winning the game," Knight said. "People say he's selfish. How I look at it is he's someone with confidence to take the burden of the last shot. A lot of guys don't want that responsibility. He has no problem being the hero or the goat."

Knight will continue to try to add talent to a depleted roster. "I don't want to put a time frame on [a turnaround], but we're going to continue to work hard at it and see how it plays out," he said.