• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

HAWKS ACQUIRE DROBNJAK

Lascar78

On the front page of hawks.com

TLANTA, GA -- (August 16, 2004) The Atlanta Hawks have obtained veteran center/forward Predrag “Peja” Drobnjak from the Charlotte Bobcats in exchange for a 2005 second-round draft pick (from the New York Knicks), according to Hawks’ General Manager Billy Knight.

“With his NBA and international background, Peja is an experienced and physical big man who can also shoot the ball from the perimeter,” Knight said. “He has a good feel for the game and strong work ethic. We’re pleased to add him to our roster.”

Drobnjak is currently playing for the Serbian and Montenegro team in the Olympics in Athens, Greece. In an 83-82 loss to Argentina yesterday, Drobnjak played nine minutes off the bench, totalling 5 points (2-2 FGs) and a rebound.

The Bobcats agreed to select the 6-foot-11 Drobnjak (pronounced DROB-nee-ack) in the June 22 NBA Expansion draft, as part of a trade with the Clippers that gave Charlotte the second overall pick in the 2004 NBA Draft in exchange for the fourth and 33rd selections.

Last season, Drobnjak played in 61 games (14 starts) for the Clippers, averaging 6.3 points and 3.2 rebounds per contest (39.3% FGs, 30.6% 3FGs, 84.9% FTs). He scored in double figures 17 times, hitting 20 or more four times. He was acquired by the Clippers from Seattle on September 28, 2003.

In 2002-03, he was the only Sonic to appear in all 82 games (started 69), and averaged a career-best 9.4 ppg and 3.9 rpg (41.2% FGs, 35.3% 3FGs, 79.1% FTs). He logged 36 double-digit games, and scored 20 or more six times. He also played for Seattle in 2001-02, when he put in 6.8 ppg and 3.4 rpg (46.1% FGs, 75.3% FTs) in 64 games.

A member of the Yugoslavian national team that won the gold medal at the 2002 World Championships in Indianapolis, Drobnjak was originally selected by Washington in the second round (49th overall) of the 1997 NBA Draft. He was sent by the Wizards to the Sonics for the draft rights to Bobby Simmons on June 27, 2001.

Drobnjak has further international experience, having played for the Serbian and Montenegro team in the Eurobasket 2003, and in Turkey from 1998-2001. He also was a member of three Yugoslavian national championship teams (1994-95, 1995-96, 1996-97). Drobnjak began his professional career in 1992, playing for Partizan Beograd (Belgrade) through 1998.

Well at least we finally have a real center. Not a great one by any means, but a center with a center's body. And he only makes 2+ million this year, 3+ million the next 2 years.

I find it interesting however that we got him on the day when rumors are swirling about Damp finally accepting the ATL offer. I still expect Damp to take our money.

Then we'll probably sign Kenny anderson and be looking at

Anderson/Delk/Ivey

Childress/D Smith

Harrington/Diaw/J Smith

Walker/CC

Dampier/Drobjnak/Collier

With the exception of the SG spot we have a very nice starting lineup with very decent backups all around. I am however concerned that our PF might be our best shooter...

Wow, thats pretty good. Drob is a pretty darn good backup for PG and Center, he can shoot the rock and has a good offensive game. Little by little the pieces are coming together and next is Damp. All we really need now is a good PG and this team can very easily can contend for a playoff spot. CC only one left from Babs era, look for CC to be dealt this fall for a very serviceable PG.

Quote:

Drob is a pretty darn good backup for PG and Center,

JT I think we are talking about different players here. While DRobs is slightly versatile and can probably slide to PF without a problem, I dont see him being able to run an offense.

I think that everyone is a little too excited about this guy though. He isnt better than Collier, Pryz, or Rebraca as far as I am concerned, so I am a little disappointed that we have acquired him instead of resigning Pryz or Rebraca.

I have to disagree. While this is not an earth shattering signing whatsoever, I do think Drobjnak is better than Pryz, Collier and Rebraca. They guy has much more playing (starting) experience than all 3 and has averaged about 8 points in his career. Having games of 20 points or better several times. And he has Olympic international experience which we all now know is starting to be important.

Solid backup signing....We still need Dampier.

he's got one of the most hilarious websites I've ever seen. HILARIOUS!!!

Some are upset with his signing...and I can't be, I do'nt know enough about his skill set. I know he's a Euro big, which one would assume means that he is fundamentally sound with a decent 12 footer. He's not uber athletic...but, think aobut this...how many centers can you name that are? If he can board, box out...what more do you want? we're already slated to have athletic guys at the 2-4 positions, at almost all times. defensive matchup nightmares. what "defensive" nightmare do you want at center? name a player outside shaq or yao...

simply my take. innocent until proven guilty.