• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Where is J-Smooth?

NYHawk

hell, i dont think a 50-60 win season will get the city of ATL excited about the hawks. the city of ATL just doesnt support the hawks.

however, i do think its important that we play our best. we need to create an environment in ATL and show the NBA world that we are competitors and are serious about winning (or trying to win). our situation is very similar to DENVER. they were known as the team that lacked MAJOR TALENT, but played hard for 48 minutes on the basketball court. next thing u know, Carmelo Anthonys there. FAs are interested.

we need to build a foundation for the team and it needs to start NOW!

---------------------------------

true that Kenny Anderson/John Barry and Jason Collier are not going to scare anyone... but this is basketball. i mean, who woulda thought a team like DETROIT could beat a WESTERN heavyweight like the LAKERS?

even teams like the BUCKS... they were like 4th-5th seed in the playoffs, right? i mean, combination of TIM THOMAS/rookie TJ FORD/KUKOC/etc- doesnt really seem much on paper. and guys like MICHAEL REDD stepped up and surprised EVERYONE (esp the past year). who would thought that REDD would be a top 10 SG?

all i gotta say is that we need to win... and try our best to win. the draft isint going to help us... theres no LEBRON JAMES next year. We need to win, build a reputation, and attract FREE AGENTS.

we are in an AWESOME-AWESOME position financially w/ our salary situation. im sure friends (FA) wouldnt mind coming here TOGETHER if we built up a good rep.

hell, the MAGIC were close to signing TMAC + DUNCAN. and if GRANT HILL was healthy the whole time, they woulda went to the playoffs every year.

we need to win... and win NOW!

but you've consistently stated earlier that merely 'making the playoffs' is not good enough for you...that its unacceptable. had we upped the anty to get damp @ those prices..we would have paid even more for him, hurting (greatly) our future cap space...and thus not had the ability to do a lot more than 'make the playoffs' unless the guys we drafted this year are the ones that take us there.

the bucks were the 5th seed in the playoffs last year; quick, who was their starting center?

but you've consistently stated earlier that merely 'making the playoffs' is not good enough for you...that its unacceptable. had we upped the anty to get damp @ those prices..we would have paid even more for him, hurting (greatly) our future cap space...and thus not had the ability to do a lot more than 'make the playoffs' unless the guys we drafted this year are the ones that take us there."

Where did I say that is the best way to go? I simply stated

the playoffs where more likely to happen with Damp therefore

pushing to win could be understable.

"the bucks were the 5th seed in the playoffs last year; quick, who was their starting center?"

Joe Smith and Brian Skinner are better than Jason Collier

who should be in the minor leagues. Also... The Bucks where

a fairly deep east team last year. Not alot of star power,

but good east depth.

redd is opting out

if we make the playoffs ala denver, we may have a chance to nab him...

we may have a chance to nab parker if he doesn't extend with SA

we may have a chance to sign ray allen

etc etc

we need to sign a good fa at pg, sg or c this summer...plus resign walker or get a good forward

all we really have for long term that is good RIGHT NOW is al harrington...walker may not be long term and the rookies aren't good yet

we need to win and build respectability

at the same time, we NEED at LEAST ONE of the following to become starting caliber on a playoff team: Chill/Smooth/Ivey/Donta

plus we need DIAW to continue to improve and start shooting more

so we need a lot

but we are in better position than the past 5 years and we have a lot to be excited about

You still haven't given me a good reason why Smith

can't get any playing time in preseason. Because

there is no excuse. Kevin Willis and Kenny Anderson

hasn't helped any team win games in years. But the

point is that not playing your rookies in preseason

doesn't have benefits. It's no very hard to understand

that winning these games mean nothing and they have

nothing to do with the regular season. You don't

build respectability in the preseason. Nobody cares

if you win these games or not and nobody in there

right minds believes they effect how you are going

to play in the regular season.

• Premium Member

When the young guys start making mistakes, and coach sees games that could have went either way...at that point, it's up to the organization to determine which way they want to go - play to win/play the rooks.

He's obligated to give the young guys a look. In fact, I wouldn't doubt it if someone in the front office said something to him. Still, I have a feeling if it comes down to close games, Woodson will make a push to win with whomever he deems is most capable.