• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Deng Does It Again!

sinctybldh

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well for one I am on the East Coast and I saw a single game from Stanford last year. Speaking for myself I knew very little about Josh Childress and I think most people on the East Coast will have the same analysis. We just didn't see him play day in and day out like we saw Deng. I saw Deng almost every week, so I can only vouch for his game.

I don't like Childress's mechanics. His shot mechanics are terrible. They may have worked for a Forward in college, but I don't think he can create his shots as a SG in the NBA. Two totally different levels!! 29 - 1 doesn't translate to success in the NBA.

Whereas Deng as already proven he can play effectively in the NBA right now!!

• Premium Member

I think I have put together Links from Just about Everybody.... Especially Mock drafts... I dare you to read them because they have been there all the time. In the search for truth, don't try to remake History.... The truth is that many people saw Childress as a top 10 pick...

SF rankings

Mock 1

Commentary of all SFs.

Quote:

Josh Childress — Stanford

Height: 6-7 Weight: 196 Last season's stats: 15.7 ppg, 7.5 rpg

By Robert Hanashiro , USA TODAY

OVERVIEW: Childress is an early-entry candidate from Stanford, where he averaged 15.7 points for the Cardinal after missing the pre-conference portion of the schedule due to a stress reaction in his left foot. Childress also led the team in rebounding at 7.5 per game and made a career-best 39.5% of his 3-pointers, demonstrating improvement in both areas. Childress is a terrific athlete who uses a wingspan of a 7-footer to excel on defense. The Southern California native is a former McDonald's All-American whose all-around game makes him an attractive selection.

LIKELY DRAFT POSITION: Childress is projected as a late lottery selection. There are rumblings that Chicago (3) and Charlotte (4) are interested, but more realistically, Childress slides past them. Philadelphia (9) might be the first legitimate suitor, with Cleveland (10) and Golden State (11) not far behind.

COMPARATIVE UPSIDE: Willie Anderson, Shane Battier COMPARATIVE DOWNSIDE: Willie Burton, Chris Jeffries

ROLE PROJECTION: Immediate starter.

POSITIVES: Childress is a well-rounded player who is all the things that a swingman should be — he's athletic and good shooter, solid defender and decision-maker. Additionally, Childress' rebounding and shot-blocking prowess show that he plays bigger than he stands. He will be capable of stepping into a starting lineup right away, unlike most of the prospects in this draft, and his sound game ensures he won't be prone to making typical rookie mistakes.

SHORTCOMINGS: Lacking a take-charge attitude, Childress was never a prolific scorer at the collegiate level, so there is no reason to believe he will be one in the NBA. More than anything, Childress is a glue guy, but not the type of player one can build a franchise around.

WHAT THEY'RE SAYING: "Some people are saying he'll be a top-three pick. He can really defend, really understands the game and (former Stanford and current Golden State head coach Mike) Montgomery did a great job coaching him. I know Golden State probably wished they had an earlier pick." — Memphis Grizzlies scout Rodney Heard

Luol Deng — Duke

Height: 6-8 Weight: 220 Last season's stats: 15.1 ppg, 6.9 rpg

By H. Darr Beiser, USA TODAY

OVERVIEW: Deng spent just one season of college ball at Duke, averaging 15.1 points and 6.9 rebounds while putting on display his unique talents to help the Blue Devils reach the Final Four. Deng is an excellent passer for a player his size while also rebounding and shooting well. Deng made 36% of his 3-pointers, a deceiving figure for a player with a tremendous shooting stroke. The native of the Sudan is also an excellent passer, a skill he used in high school in a motion-oriented system at Blair Academy in New Jersey. Deng is one of nine children and was raised in London, where his father was granted political asylum in 1993.

LIKELY DRAFT POSITION: Chicago (3) and Charlotte (4) are the favorites. If Deng slides, however, his free-fall probably will last only a pick or two. The Duke freshman is one of the draft's few sure things, and any club situated in the lottery will be hard-pressed to pass that up.

COMPARATIVE UPSIDE: Mark Aguirre, Carmelo Anthony, Caron Butler COMPARATIVE DOWNSIDE: Shane Battier, Josh Howard

ROLE PROJECTION: Starting forward

POSITIVES: Deng has the prototypical small forward body and an outstanding wingspan. He shows great balance on drives, is aggressive following his own shot, can hit the standstill 3-pointer and enjoys operating with his back to the basket. Furthermore, he is potentially a great defender who hits the glass and blocks shots. Deng has a nose for the ball and plays with a lot of tenacity.

SHORTCOMINGS: Deng is neither a superb athlete nor outside shooter. One of those elements usually is required for stardom at a perimeter position in the NBA. If he had unusual size for his position, he could possibly compensate, but at 6-8, Deng is not big by NBA standards and it forces him to the wing. As it stands, Deng is largely an interior player with good perimeter skills, and not the other way around. He should be a force at the next level; just don't expect him to become a superstar.

WHAT THEY'RE SAYING: "I don't think they (his representatives) have found a home for him just yet, but it seems like they'll find a home for him in the first dozen picks. I think it's a little uncertain as to how it's going to unfold in the top-10 but it seems like he's in there. — Boston Celtics director of player personnel Leo Papile

ESPN's insiders top ten.

CBS Mocks

Hoopsworld Mock Inside Hoops Mock

This is absolutely crazy that all of a sudden because he's not Deng, people on the board are saying he wasn't worthy of a top 10 pick or that they never heard of him. Not only was he highly touted out of high school, but a lot of recruiting coordinators gave Stanford outstanding marks for getting Childress. We're not talking college game, but we're talking about someone who stepped up his game after injury and led Stanford to a 29-1 record. Does he not get credit for that? It doesn't mean anything? Tell that to Okafor..

Point is, just because he's struggling doesn't mean he was a bad pick in my mind. Everyone wants him to score 20 dish 10 Assists and have 5 steals. Give him time...I don't think we'll be disappointed in him.

Thanks again Diesel.

• Premium Member

I think he's part of the puzzle and the more he plays the better he will look.

People are talking about Deng...

Deng is a Pro sized SF who plays post up basketball. Like I have said before, it's very possible that we had a deal for Harrington in place before draft night. That being the case, why draft a guy who is the exact same player?

Moreover, Childress is more atheletic and possibly smarter/BBIQ. Still, I'm not downing Deng... His game is good, I'm just saying, let's wait for all the results to come in on J-Chill. Meanwhile, the truth is named J-Smooth...

Even the Mocks that have Chill going high have him going AFTER Deng. In addition, I know it is one man's opinion but it is kind of disheartening when Chill's UPSIDE is seen as Shane Battier while Battier is seen as Deng's downside.

I am more than willing to give Chill every chance in the world because honestly, what choice do we have? That being said, the early poll results have Deng WAY out in front.

• Premium Member

That wasn't the point... However, you didn't check the inside hoops mock did you??

I think right now, Deng's ability is showing... however, the question is can he get better? While, everyone knows that Chillz will get better. The ultimate question is who fits our needs the most. With Harrington in Hand, I think it would have been a waste to take Deng... They are the same player. Give Chillz time.

That wasn't the point... However, you didn't check the inside hoops mock did you??

I think right now, Deng's ability is showing... however, the question is can he get better? While, everyone knows that Chillz will get better. The ultimate question is who fits our needs the most. With Harrington in Hand, I think it would have been a waste to take Deng... They are the same player. Give Chillz time.

>

The guy is scary good right now. If he is able to get better you are talking about a top 10 talent in the NBA and I am totally serious. I know you all have seen his stats but have you actually seen him play the first two games? He does everything well and he has a dead eye shot just before three point land. His form on his shot is perfect. He does have three point range too but a little less accurate. He is way more athletic than Josh Childress. No comparison there. Even if Josh Childress improves he will not be half the player that Deng will be. I guarantee you that.

• Premium Member

I watched many Duke games and I watched the Chicago game the other night (Pacers). While it's true his game is good enough to be mention ROY and NBA elite... From what I have seen and see, he's not as good as his stats make him out to be. He's got the advantage of coming in strong and big. I call him pro sized Sf. The problem is that he lacks speed and quickness. He's like Big Dog in his rookie year. Not to say that that's a bad thing, I just think that in time, people are going to catch up and leave him. Basketball still remains an athelete's game. Those who are exceptional atheletes will always prevail over those who are good technicians. Deng is a good technician. Soon, J-Smooth will make everyone forget about Deng...

Just like KG made everyone forget about Googs...

With Harrington in Hand, I think it would have been a waste to take Deng... They are the same player. Give Chillz time."

You guys act like Harrington is some kind of star or

something. His game is EXTREMELY limited. He can't do

anything other than score inside.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/al_harringto...x.html?nav=page

-Way below average shot blocker

-Lack of jumpshot

-Lack of basketball IQ

-Lack of rebounding

Harrington really isn't good enough that you can afford

to not go after the best player.

Quote:

Those who are exceptional atheletes will always prevail over those who are good technicians.

Just like the USA athletes did...

• Premium Member

Quote:

Deng looks to be able to shoot....Too bad Al

Harrington can't.

You're going to make me find the %s... IN fact, you find them...

Let's not talk about the putback numbers...(FG%)..

Let's talk about where shooters show up...

3pt % and FT%...

whoose better?

Now, Al may not be better, but he's not much farther behind. Al's been playing with a hurt finger, but I have seen Deng miss the open looks...

Mock Drafts?? I wasn't talking about mock draft sites. Read my post I said on THIS FORUM. Most people ON THIS FORUM didn't have Childress as their pick. There is a thread where everyone voted for their pick and very few had Childress as their pick, if any. The majority of the people on this board had Iggy, Deng or the kid from Wisconsin as their pick. I know the mock drafts had Childress in the Hawks slot, but Deng was ranked higher and that is why I thought we would have picked Deng.

Secondly, Of course Deng will get even better. There is always room for improvement, he is still a rookie. So this argument that Deng will not get better and Childress will some how miraculously pass him and be a better player at some point is crazy talk, as if Deng can't get better...only Childress can get better. Deng is better now and will get even better in the future.

Al's hurt finger...blah blah

Al has range to about 12 feet. And even then he isn't

that good. Heck, even though guys like O'Neal and Artest

draw attention Harrington could only shoot a SORRY 43%

as a PF last year. The guy just isn't all that and a

bag of chips. He's really been overrated by some and

looks like Indy didn't mind showing him the door.

You are right, the discussion was about trying to move up and if we didn't move up and had to stay at 6 then what?

Most of our responses were Deng, Iggy, the High school guard and the Wisconsin kid. I don't remember anyone on this board saying "We should draft Childress at 6".

Josh Smith was a big surprise for me at 17. I was elated to get him at 17. He will only get better as his confidence grows, which comes with playing time.

Listen, I really, really hope Childress proves everyone on this board wrong. I mean that sincerely, but thus far he has not impressed me as the 6 pick in the draft. I am an Atlanta Hawks fan regardless and I do think BK has done some nice things overall. I just hope we will not regret not getting a higher rated Deng at the 6 pick. Regardless the show goes on!!

• Admin

You're theory about Athletes vs. technicians is down right embarassing. I look around the league at the losing teams full of Athletes, devoid of technicians. I see scores of players who can jump out of the building. but don't have the brain power to dribble and chew gum at the same time and couldn't see a fast break developing without a powerpoint presentation. I look at many/most of the greats of the NBA and I see technicians first, athletes second. Athlete is the hype that drove the NBA to its lowest popularity ever.

Besides, this was never about Deng Vs. Smith. It's about the wasted pick(childress) vs. the pick that should have been (Deng). If they had a deal in the works for Harrington, they gave money away. Not that AH isn't a good player, or won't get better. But if they could have had the "same player", why not get the cheaper guy who has just as much upside?

• Premium Member

Let's discuss it then....

For years, Big Dog was said to be the Best Midrange Shooter in the game. At Sf, who would you rather have.... Big Dog (the technician) or Marion (the pure Athelete)?

When you find something embarrassing.... Let me know.

The reason why the league is full of atheletes is because Non Atheletic Technicians don't get it done.