• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Return of TONY DELK!!!!!!!!

Employee8

http://www.ajc.com/friday/content/epaper/e...8841ef007a.html

BASKETBALL: Delk might be ready

John Manasso - Staff

Friday, November 19, 2004

The Hawks could learn today whether guard Tony Delk is ready to come off the injured list and play Saturday against Utah.

Delk, who has averaged 8.8 points per game during his eight-year career, has missed the first eight games of the season with a sore right knee, on which he had surgery in July.

"I've got to make some decisions as to what will happen with [injured reserve]," coach Mike Woodson said. "Hopefully, Saturday he'll be back."

This is better news than we probably realize. There goes KA's minutes. Delk is a much superior scorer both outside and driving to the basket compared to KA and plays much better defense. Delk/Ivey at the PG means the opposing PG is going to have a tough time all night. Once Delk is 100%:

Delk/Ivey/KA

Chill/Barry

Al/Diaw

AW/Willis/J.Smith

Collier/Drobnjak

IL: D.Smith/J.McCoy

yeah, Delk scoring is better, and scoring is an issue that we've been struggling with relative to other teams' averages in the A, but I've been impressed with KA's ability to run the team, control tempo, etc.

I don't think Ivey's near ready for that responsibility full-time yet, and don't know of Delk's capability in doing the same things (Essential for a pg).

That's the key to Anderson right now. He may not be hitting shots, but he does set a good pace for this young Hawks team and can run the offense.

I think that is what will be lost with Delk in the game. We may get superior shooting and defense from Delk, but we will lose out on the actual point guard ability.

Royal Ivey is gradually being given more and more responsibility. It may eventually get to the point where they rely on him at the point guard spot instead of the vets.

Kevin Willis was brought on board as much for his

leadership as his playing. He's supposed to act as

a mentor for our very young rookies.

He didn't expect to play a lot of minutes, but was forced

to due to the illness of Collier. What he brings to

this team, at practice and on the road, is probably

more important than what he does in the games.

Hopefully, Tony Delk will bring some extra points with

him. We need that.

cool.gif

my biggest fear: people on this board have talked greatly about not judging rooks too soon, till after 20 games or so...I only hope that removing willis from active duty isn't a hasty move, that mgt. and coaches haven't placed too much in the glimpses of 'solid' provided by collier and drobs...because in early games willis was outstanding, showing the way...

The beauty of Tony Delk is he doesn't need 30 minutes to be effective. He can come in and if he is hitting his shot you leave him in if not you yank him.

I see him playing some PG with Barry Childress Toine and Peja during the second unit but I wouldn't be surprised if this team goes real small and has Toine playing center sometime....its not like Peja and Collier are shot blockers.

I hope Ivy's time doesn't get cut and Anderson needs to be on the court to keep turnovers down....it will be interesting how Woodson plays this....we will see tonight

jr