• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My mind has changed about this team...

ATownStomp

After watching tonights game against NY, I saw that we are very dangerous when we run the floor. I know Coach Woodson is looking for the right rotation, and I hope he found it tonight. I think that the younger line up is the right one for this team. But also I think(by the playing time Kevin Willis got tonight) that we need a touch of veturan leadership on the floor. I hope to be seeing this rotation for the rest of this season:

Delk/Ivey(when he comes back)/KA

J-Chill/Delk/D. Smith

Harrington/Diaw

AW/Sooth(I want to see him get more PT)

Willis/Collier/Drob

I think if we run more, this team will be much better than people think

The 1st quater was horrible to say the least, but the 2nd was a complete turn around. I think we had the right mix of players on the court at the end and i agree they looked good while running. Josh Smith looked really good on the open court, and I also hope he gets more playing time.

I think the biggest problem with the team right now is the lack of a defensive presence in the middle. Hawks need a center that can rebound, block shots and defend. Getting a player like that is easier said then done though.

Also, Kenny, Delk and Diaw cannot guard quick point guards like Starbury. Way to much dribble penetration last night. Ivey has shown the ability to help in that regard.

The thing is, some teams can get away with not having a great or even good center. Those that do usually have a power forward though that brings a true low post offensive game, rebounding and some semblence of defense/shotblocking. I am thinking of Indiana w/ O'Neal and Phoenix with Stoudamire in particular.

Walker, as gifted and frustrating a playmaker as he is, is not that type of presence. Neither is Harrington - though I think he has potential to be a little tougher in the paint on defense. Josh Smith has potential as a defensive demon, but I am not sure he will ever be big enough to handle a 6'10" 250 lb power forward (he certaintly is not there yet in terms of being able to guard these guys on an extended basis, short term energy notwithstanding). I have not grown an inch since I was 15-16 so not sure if Josh is going to get any larger then the 6'7" he was measured at the combine (w/o shoes).

This creates an interesting dilemma for BK. Walker's offense is essential to the teams competitiveness at this point, but unless a defensive center with some size can be added to the roster then the hawks will have problems implementing Woodson's defensive gameplan.

I think Swift would work as a power forward but not center - although he is better then what we have. It is tough though because the rest of the team, Harrington and Childress in particular, really need to step up their offensive games before the Hawks can wean themselves off of Walker's offensive game. Neither is a number one scoring option at this point in their careers.

When Walker is out of the game it does force others to be more assertive. I am definitely not bashing Walker because his playmaking is needed. I think having a good point guard who can set up the offense and get others involved would help limit some of Walker's mistakes (because he tries to do to much) and help others find their game.

Quote:

When Walker is out of the game it does force others to be more assertive. I am definitely not bashing Walker because his playmaking is needed. I think having a good point guard who can set up the offense and get others involved would help limit some of Walker's mistakes (because he tries to do to much) and help others find their game.

FANTASTIC POST, my friend. smile.gif