• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

AJC article: FT shooting, JT, and Walker trade

Admin

PRO BASKETBALL: HAWKS REPORT

Karen Rosen - Staff

Thursday, December 23, 2004

'Shot docs' want to treat Hawks

Coach Mike Woodson has been getting calls and letters from self-described "shot doctors" who think they can fix the Hawks' poor free-throw shooting.

"People watch your team and offer advice," Woodson said. "They want to come in. If I'm going to bring somebody in, I'm going to bring in Mark Price, who works for us a little bit [as a broadcaster]. He was a great free-throw shooter."

The Hawks are making 65.3 percent of their free throws, compared to 78.1 percent for opponents.

But Woodson said he isn't looking to hire outside help.

"That's why I have my coaches here," he said. "We've just got to do a better job of teaching guys how to shoot and feeling good about themselves."

A familiar face

Former Hawks guard Jason Terry returned to Philips Arena and paused out of habit in the corridor outside the Hawks' locker room. After 403 games in five seasons with Atlanta, he was traded in August as part of the deal that brought Antoine Walker and Tony Delk to town.

"It's a great feeling just to walk in the building, see some of the people I worked with in the organization," Terry said, admitting his feelings are a little bittersweet. "Atlanta's special to me; it's my first home. You always wish you could still be here."

But Dallas is a winning team so far this season.

"It's a better opportunity for me to win and take my game to the next level," said Terry, who is averaging nine points and leads the team in assists with 3.6 per game. "I always appreciate everything the [Hawks] organization did for me."

Terry, who still has a home in Atlanta, said he had about 20 people in his personal cheering section, plus "all the Hawks fans that I left behind."

Walker report denied

Woodson refuted a New York Post report that Walker is not part of the Hawks' future plans.

"That's not true," Woodson said. "They didn't hear that out of our camp. We can't sit here and say he's not in our future plans, because the reason he's here is because he's in our future."

The Post also reported that Boston GM Danny Ainge regretted trading Walker and wanted to bring him back to the Celtics. Walker will be a free agent after this season.