• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Offseason Talk?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Ok..

Let's say nothing changes.

Let's say we come to the table with Walker and resign him for about 5 yrs 55 million. That's very reasonable.

After we sign a draft pick, we still would have about 9 million left.

For argument sake, let's say that we sign the best defender/shooter out of Paul/Gilchrist/Felton/Jack/Williams. Let's say we take a chance on Felton...

Then lastly, we look for a big man with 9 million. Let's say that we get Dalembert by overpaying for him... Maybe a 6 yr 58.5 million dollar deal.

I know... Grossly overpaid. But this is after we tried the same deal for Curry and Chicago matched.

Dalembert/Walker/Harrington/Smoove/Felton.

Could this team win?

I guess they would await the rise of Chill before they move either Harrington or Walker?

Quote:

I doubt we'd win much, we might make the playoffs and be a first round out only because the east is such a weak conference. We'd be more competitive because of the Defensive improvements Dalembert would bring.

Well if THAT'S the case, then we should do it. Remember....If we start making the playoffs, then we attract more FREE AGENTS. Right now we are attracting FLIES at this point... grin.gif

Quote:

I would love to land Dalembert and Felton but would rather sign a shooter like Redd then Walker. Josh smith is a forward, not a shooting guard, and needs to play there full time as of next season. In order for that to happen either Walker or Harrington has to go.

Why does Walker have to go in order to sign Redd? Atlanta HAS the Cap room to keep Walker AND sign Redd. I don't understand your logic.... confused.gif

Quote:

I would love to land Dalembert and Felton but would rather sign a shooter like Redd then Walker. Josh smith is a forward, not a shooting guard, and needs to play there full time as of next season. In order for that to happen either Walker or Harrington has to go.

and what makes you think Michael Redd would play for the Hawks?

Seriously, no one wants to play here and Michael Redd will be getting offer's for what he is worth. Unless you want to max contract the guy then he isn't coming here.

People need to start being realistic.

The Mavericks want Dalembert. Where does he go, Here or Dallas?

• Premium Member

I believe that Dalembert follows the Money.

Philly is not going to just sign and trade him for anything. OBrien actually likes him. But Philly has their share of bad contracts too.

I think because of Philly's money woes, we may be able to get Dalembert... Unfortunately, I think we would have to overpay him. Dallas will not have the money to match what we can do. Plus, they just gave Damp Big money and they may have to prepare to pay Terry.

Another Free agent Big man that we probably can afford is Kwame. I mean, I fully expect Washington to give Hughes big money. If they do, I don't think that they would be willing to match a deal for Kwame. What they may try is to extend Kwame now.... But they are not playing him enough to justify that.

Still.... It's a possibility.

I like Swift.

His defensive numbers are better than Dalembert's.

He's 6'9 235 or so though. I wouldn't necessarily call him C material.

You say, I like Swift.

Most folks around here apparently share your feelings and

assume the Hawks will go after him this off season.

He's 6'9" = 235 or so - Though.

So what? That's a real problem ? Why ? If he can get

the job done, which apparently he is doing right now,

when you look at his stats, why the worry?

Over and over, here on this board, many posters have

said how bad we need Swift and the talents that he would

bring, yet, seemingly without fail, everyone says something

about his size.

Question: Can he get the job done, right now??

Question: Is he going to grow any taller??

Solution: If Hawks do sign him, we either take him

the size he is or we take him and somehow get elevator shoes for him and sneak them by the officials.

Diesel, I ain't jumping your case. Just wanted to make

a point to all the posters on Hawksquawk. Whether or

not Hawks sign him in the off season:

SWIFT AIN'T GOING TO GET ANY TALLER THAN HE IS NOW!!!

All that being said, I agree. Lets sign him for next

season. We need his short body to rebound for us.

cool.gif

To reply to the first question, if we add Dalembert and Felton, I think we'll win about 25-30 games, maybe more but I dont think that team would ever be good due to the pieces not fitting. Walker would be the team leader but the rest of the team is made up of athletic runners. Also JSmoove hurts a decent team at SG due to his inconsistent outside shot.

I dont think it's an issue. Walker or Harrington or both will be moved, somewhat due to salary but moreso to make room for our future. I actually see many trades coming before next year, including even moving our first pick or possibly even one of our rookies.

Quote:

Quote:

and what makes you think Michael Redd would play for the Hawks?

Seriously, no one wants to play here and Michael Redd will be getting offer's for what he is worth. Unless you want to max contract the guy then he isn't coming here.

People need to start being realistic.

The Mavericks want Dalembert. Where does he go, Here or Dallas?

I don't think Redd is a realistic option (but I could be wrong), all I am saying is that the team would be better and more balanced with a quality shooting guard then three starting caliber forwards.

• Premium Member

Well, in short, because the best way to get to a championship is with a true C on your team.

Lakers/San Antonio/Houston....

All did it with a true C who was somewhat dominant. When you take a Count. OVer the last 20 yrs.

13 - 7 .

That's 13 championship teams had a true C who was somewhat Dominant. 7 had something else. Those 7 were Detroit last year and those 6 Bulls teams. On those 6 bulls teams, they did have a 7 footer at 7, the C just wasn't dominant.

When you look at Swift, he's a PF. He's played C.. But he's a small C. They can get away with that in Memphis because Gasol is 7'0. However, if we go out and get Swift and let's say we put him next to Harrington playing PF....

For one, Harrington will be bigger than Swift. For 2, Our rebounding will suffer.

Honestly, I think it's a better thought to trade away Harrington/Walker and bring in Dalembert/Swift and try to get Redd or Allen to come if you want defense.

Still, the space where we are now... It's a hard call, but I would be reluctant to put Swift at C with what we have.

Quote:

Honestly, I think it's a better thought to trade away Harrington/Walker and bring in Dalembert/Swift and try to get Redd or Allen to come if you want defense.

I agree, as much as I like Harrington, Swift would be the better PF between the two, he is more athletic, would block more shots, and has always played PF and C unlike Harrington. If we are able to get Swift/Dalembert as our PF/C combo to go with J-Smoove at the 3 and Felton at the one, that is just straight Defense that will Run-n-Gun, Felton is actually a great defensive player and all UNC runs is fast break. I really think he could be the next J-Kidd, and he could be with that team as he is such a great passer. Think about all the blocked shots we would have with that team. If we could get someone like Johnson, Allen, or Redd to play the 2 I think we could be a Championship caliber team in a couple years. Even if we don't get one of them, we can still use Chill as a good long defensive 2, and Harrington would still be GREAT off the bench. We would also have many trade options with Harrington on the team and also Chill, Delk. Our starting lineup would be..

Felton

FA 2 guard or Chill

J. Smith

Swift

Dalembert

with possibly Harrington, Ivey, Lue, Chill, Delk AND Drobnjak as our backups and no really bad contracts. We would be one of the deepest teams in the League and we would have soo many options trade wise if we needed..

would u be ok if trades/draft/signings brought us this team next year:

felton(paul,etc)/ivey/lue

johnson/chill/delk

smoove/chill/donta

swift/smoove

kwame(dalembert)/drobs/bogut

we'd still have about 5mil in cap space as well...

we'd have lue/delk as vets that fit while the rooks and 2nd years continue to improve...we'd have two more great prospects in felton and bogut...we'd have cap space...

johnson plays 1/2

chill plays 2/3

smoove plays 2/3/4

swift plays 4/5

kwame plays 4/5

bogut plays 4/5

some lineups we'd see...

johnson/chill/smoove/swift/kwame

felton/johnson/chill/smoove/swift

felton/johnson/smoove/swift/kwame

felton/johnson/chill/smoove/kwame

instead of johnson we could get redd or hughes or jacobsen...

i'd only get rid of harrington if we knew we could 100% for sure get swift + one of kwame/chandler/dalembert...

and even then, maybe only if it is needed to get us that big man or is needed to give us cap space for redd or johnson...or gets us a top 3 pick...

• Premium Member

I said added Redd or Allen...

In short, this team would be made around one offensive star, a good defense, and a PG who could distribute.

But there is another alternative...

Say we can get Dalembert/Swift....

Have Dalembert/Swift/Smoove.

The thing that sticks out about this threesome is that there is NO SCORING and good defense.

Is there a player in this league who could lift a team virtually by himself??

YES...

AI...

One person to consider is AI....

AI/Chillz/Smoove/Swift/Dalembert.

Ok, I hear the chants... Yeah, but AI is on the "downside of his career".

This may be true.

How about TMAC?

Houston's plan is not working. They may want to get their hands on a top PG. They may want to get some players to fit around Yao..

Walker/Harrington/First to Houston for Tmac/Filler.

Ok... Only in a pipe dream.

OH.. Here's my final rendition... This is very possible.

We get Swift/Dalembert... We add Joe Johnson/Felton.

Felton/Johnson/Smoove/Swift/Dalembert.

One thing is for certain... Smoove will have to become better...