• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We should get a Big in this years draft

Buzzard

I am really not worried about the free agents at this point. What we do in free agency will depend on who we get in the draft.

Right now Charlotte has the top pick and they will in all likelyhood take Paul. That leaves us drafting a big man simply because there is not another pg worth using a 2nd or 3rd pick on.

We need another pick in this draft to ensure we get a good point guard and a big. Its a incredibly deep draft at the pg guard position this year. But the top 5 big men will in all likelyhood be gone after the lottery picks.

If BK trades down to say the 8th or 10th pick and takes a pg, we lose out on Taft and probably any of top 5 big men. Just not sure he would do this nor should do this.

The only excuse for us not getting a Big in this years draft will be because we were able to get Paul.

We need a middle 1st round pick to use on a PG, say in a trade for Walker, otherwise I think we will have to go one more year without one. Which sorta makes sense if your goal is to build through the draft.

It is still early so obviously a lot will change between now and the draft, but right now it is hard to get real excited about any of the big men in the draft.

Bogut, Taft, Martynas A. (sorry I cannot spell his last name), Splitter and even Boone have been mentioned as potential top 5 big men but all have questions. Bogut has had a great season but is he strong and athletic enough to translate his game to the pros? Taft has the athletic ability but where is the heart and production? Martynas is a mystery. Splitter has potential but is real thin and more of a power forward, which we don't really need anyway. Boone is o.k. but is he athletic enough and what position does he play?

Right now if I had to pick any of them I would go with Bogut just based on production, but I am not sure he is the right fit for the Hawks (unless we get rid of both potential power forwards Al and Toine and sign someone with some defensive presence).

Taft just seems like one of those guys that will go fat and lazy on you like Kwame, Kandi, Kemp, etc.

I think you make good points about this year's crop of big men. I have not watched all of the big men play (Bogut in paticular) but I have not been impressed with the other big men I have watched. Taft especially looks lazy and does not not dominate the game in any facet. My theory about drafting a big man with a very early draft pick is that big man should DOMINATE on his then level of play (college, HS or international). Big man "projects" drafted very early in the draft rarely work out, like Shawn Bradley, "Candi-man", Big Country, Darko? If I am going to draft a big man early then I want big guys who dominate, like Okafor, D. Howard, Ewing, Hakeem, Zo, Shaq, etc. Unless some international big man fits this ideal this year then I would not use our early pick on a big man.

I dont think that is where we will go. This is a draft for PGs and its what we need. I know that Knight doesnt like to draft for position but I would be very suprised if when we pick there isnt a PG we like there then we trade up or down to get one. The bigs this year are all projects and likely wont be ready for primetime for a few years. I think the plan is to draft a PG and sign 1-2 big men even if we have to overpay.

If we pick top3, we have to find a star and I dont know if I see any. Marvin Williams maybe, and the Green kid sounds good. I think some team with a high pick will want to move higher and we'll move down and still get who we want plus another pick or something. The tournament and workouts are still gonna move opinion alot this year.

First of all, we have a worse record than charlotte right now. Only N.O. is behind us, and only by 1.5 games I think. Add the lottery factor to that, and even with the absolute worst record we could still end up with the 4th pick, and any lotto team can get the 1st pick. So there's no point guessing where we'll be.

The bottom line is we need a center and a point guard REALLY bad. When we draft, we will get the best man available at either position. My money's on Paul

Trade scenario: If we decided to trade down to get Raymond Felton

Atlanta sends #2pick in draft to Portland. Portland gives us the #7pick in the draft plus the rights to Dereck Anderson. We draft Raymond Felton and get Dereck Anderson to help our woes at shooting guard

I am not sure this would work but I am sure if we don't like the kid Lithuania Portland would be willing to take a chance on him since his tutor is former blazer Arvidas Sabonis.