• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Teams with cap space next year:

mrhonline

• Premium Member

I thought I would make an early list of teams that have cap space available to sign free agents (esp., for more than the MLE) next year. Key free agents are in parenthesis.

Note that this amount does NOT include the cost of draft picks and is based on a similar cap of $44M (which *might* change by a couple of million dollars, but shouldn't alter this list). Key free agents who are restricted FA's are counted vs. the cap, meaning that teams like Chicago & Washington really don't have cap space unless they want to renounce their free agents.

1. Atlanta (Walker) - $24M

2. Charlotte (Wallace, Bogans) - $17M

3. Cleveland (Ilgauskas) - $19M

4. Denver (none) - $6M

5. LA Clippers (Kittles, Jaric, Simmons) - $14M

6. Milwaukee (Redd, Gadzuric) - $7M

7. Seattle (Allen, Radmanovic, Murray) - $20M

Now, notice the following:

Charlotte - Okafor

Cleveland - Gooden

Denver - Martin

LA Clippers - Brand

Only Milwaukee & Seattle have the cap space & a need at PF. Plus, both teams also have holes at center & don't need a defensive liability like Walker. Plus, remember that Shareef is also a free agent that a team like Seattle might pursue.

Conclusion: Walker getting significantly more than the MLE isn't happening UNLESS the Hawks S&T him to a team over the cap (e.g., New York).

I'm betting that Walker will either a.) resign with Atlanta for ~5 yr., $45M-$50M or b.) be traded to a team for more $ as part of a S&T.

I don't see him taking the MLE because it would be a loss of at least $10M-$15M over the life of the contract. If he doesn't want to resign in Atlanta, he will likely be open to a S&T.

Unless something drastically changes, the Hawks are in the driver's seat re: Walker.

Just wondering if anyone is of the opinion that we should let it ride. Then again, Collier, Harrington, and Delk will come off the books after the following year, so we would have more if we spent some of it.

I'm OK with another year of losing, personally, if it means we can get a lot better down the road.

the situation as I see it. There is no reason to panic and trade Toine for fear of losing him for nothing. We will likely be able to S&T him next year to a team who offers us a good package or we can probably resign him to a "reasonable" contract in the range you suggested.

I would not re-sign Walker unless Al Harrington is traded as well. Not trying to pick sides on the Al vs. Toine debate, but it is one or the other next year, not both.

That being said, Al is already signed for next year so my guess is Toine is the more likely to be elswhere when next season starts.

Thats a pretty good point. Unless someone blows us away with an offer for Antione, there seems to be a good chance he will be here for some time. However, do we really want Antione as our leader for the next 4-5 years? He plays hard, but raises eyebrows with his shot selection, defense, and free throws. I'm still not sure if I want Antione as a building block for the future.

Well Vdiletto,

If he re-signs here(providing he isn't dealt), then that shows he wants to stay a hawk for the rest of his career and try to see this rebuilding(for real this time!) through to the end. You will have no choice but to root for him, despite the many headaches that he could give us on the court. Hey....That's just what makes him a fascinating player to watch 'cause you never know what he will do next but DO KNOW that he is Trying to help HIS TEAM WIN a basketball game. smile.gif