• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

espn analysts

VDiLetto

• Premium Member

Ain't no doubt about that. The Knicks aren't a young team, but they aren't old either. Marbury and Crawford are vets, but they aren't over the hill. Neither is Nazr. I guy like Toine would be perfect for them.

Quote:

Antoine gets to make the decisions correct? If he doesn't want to do a sign and trade he can do what he wants and go anywhere. Isn't it all up to him?

Hmmm...Tip makes a good point. If he was still signed for another year with the team, he couldn't do anything about it if he was dealt. But now that he would be an UFA, he could simply refuse and go elsewhere....At least, that's how I think it works. confused.gif

• Premium Member

People continually overlook that. It's cool when you're an unrestricted free agent because...hey! You don't have to do anything. The problem is a little thing called a salary cap. Anyone with substantial money available under the cap can sign Antoine outright. There are only a handful of teams with substantial money.

What's more, most of these teams already have a decent frontline and almost all of them are bottom dwellers like us (because they have no talent that they have to pay for). So not only are there few teams with any money to sign Antoine, there are even fewer teams with money that have a need to sign him.

The bottom line is AW needs us more than we need him, especially if he is looking to get paid and/or play for a decent team. It's not the case every year because some years LOTS of teams have money. But it most certainly is the case this year.

For those who still don't understand, you may want to take a look at this thread here

Antoine needs the Hawks more than the Hawks need Antoine? WHAAA???

So the Hawks don't need an Allstar who could continue to help this team improve and ATTRACT FREE AGENTS, is that right?

I think you have it backwards....THE HAWKS NEED ANTOINE MORE THAN ANTOINE NEEDS THEM! Why? Because all Antoine had to do up to this point is demand a trade and/or voice his displeasure(ala Stephen Jackson) and he would be gone to the Sixers or Celtics for Garbage. He could've been what many of you guys were thinking he'd be when he was signed but he HASN'T and I don't see how that warrants getting rid of him 'cause that's what is implied here with the S&T junk.

Did you forget that Walker actually WANTS TO STAY HERE? Or did that completely go over your head? How many players say that nowadays ABOUT THE HAWKS??? I want to remain a Hawk? Any other time it's "I want to remain [insert any team other than the Hawks here]"

We have two Draft picks(I think)...Let's use them, re-sign Walker, sign Swift, go after Michael Redd(HARD!), and draft Bogut/Felton.

• Premium Member

You are the best fan I have ever met. I think it's just...funky fresh how you always stick up for 'Toine. *lol* Seriously man, you are a true fan.

But the Hawks really don't need Toine as much as he needs us.

We're losing, so if he wasn't here the worst thing that could happen is...we continue to lose. We've got Harrington who can play the 3 or 4. We've got a draft pick and we can draft a Taft or Bogut who could play 4/5. And who knows, Smoove may even turn out to be a decent 4. We've got all the time in the world to develop players and a winning team. Toine is at his prime now and in 4 or 5 years (when we will probably be ready to do something) will not likely be producing like he does now.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the guy. I didn't have anything against him when he came here, but I didn't think he'd stay long. His game has absolutely grown on me...

But I think a situation where we get a good draft pick (like NY's likely lotto pick) and Toine heads to a playoff team is best for both sides. In the end, again, I think Walker needs us more than we need him.

Y'know what...that sounds like a good poll. grin.gif