• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Chicago Tribune interesting rumors

Admin

The Chicago Tribune suggests the Bulls might try to pry Walker out of Atlanta if the Hawks are willing to take back Antiono Davis' contract, which has one more year, and rookie Andres Nocioni. However, the paper also suggests Atlanta might be more interested in dealing Al Harrington, citing "insiders" who believe the team made a mistake in trying to build around the former Pacers forward.

Walker is in the last year of a contract that pays him $14.6 million this season, and he will provide cap relief for whichever team owns his rights at the end of the season.

• Premium Member

It's hard to take any rumor seriously this week. Everybody especially Sam Smith wants to get the scoop even if it means making up news...

However, Harrington goes to the IR... Smoove, Chillz are shining? Could it have been a mistake?

Who knows what's true??

I know 1 thing... Smith is going to get KB all in a tisy!

smile.gif

Anyway, let's postulate here.

I have a trade thought involving Harrington... It's new.

Harrington/2nd to Charlotte for Smitty/1st (unprotected 2005).

Harrington/Okafor is better than what they can draft.

We get fan favorite Smitty. We also get 2 lottery picks...

Can you say Bogut/Williams? or Bogut/Paul?

• Premium Member

The problem is that I see the NBA draft as being weaker year by year...

Not that the players themselves are no good, but that each year, the players are less fundamentally sound BUT we require them to get on the floor and contribute sooner?

Look over my history, I hate the way that college exploits young players and think that if they can get in the league earlier good. However, I also dislike the fact that all some can do when they come to the pros is dunk...

It's a sad predicament, but while there's still some talent coming out, we might as well try to get it.

What you propose will not make us any better as a team but loading up on talent can never be bad?

Please let me in on this trend of loading up on lottery picks? Have you not paid attention to the Bulls or the Clippers? Do you expect to be able to resign all of these guys? Having Childress, Smoove, Bogut and Williams all FA's within a year of eachother would be a disaster. How about some veterans? You know ones that understand how to win.

I think like this trade could go down on draft night if Charlotte cannot get Marvin Williams. We may have to include Diaw as well though, but Charlotte will be way under the cap so we wouldn't have to take back anything in exchange. If they got a shot at Williams, I believe they'll do all they can to get him. He would be an immediate fan fovorite coming from UNC.

well trading walker/harrington for picks wouldn't mean we would be like the clips...

we would also have 30+mil to bring in talent...

in a perfect offseason, we do the following

draft bogut/best pg/best available/best outside shooter w/our 1/1/1/2nd round picks

sign joe johnson or larry hughes to a somewhat reasonable contract

sign swift to backup pf/c spots

sign casey jacobsen to a decent contract

pg/ivey/diaw

johnson/jacobsen/chill

chill/smoove/danta

smoove/swift/bogut

bogut/swift/drobs

that's 11/13 active guys...the other 2 draft picks would fill this out...

johnson/swift/drobs are our vets for next year

we still have 10+mil cap space for the next summer

we let everyone play and click together and then next year we pick up some veterans that fill needs in order to make our playoff push...

maybe we get a kwame or chandler or dalembert this offseason as well, but if we get bogut/swift, then i say we wait until next summer to see what our needs are...

One thing that people like Sam Smith don't take into account concerning the Hawks is that Billy Knight is actually trying to build something here. The Atlanta Hawks isn't an organization that will trade good players to teams and take bad contract's in return.

A little over half a season in the books, and some "insiders" can already tell that Atlanta may have made a mistake in trying to build around Al Harrington?

First of all, Harrington wasn't acquired to be the building block. He was acquired to be a part of the foundation, because he has a good contract and is young with loads of potential.

Secondly, any trade rumor that has Atlanta taking back a bad contract can be shot down the moment you read it.

Quote:

The Chicago Tribune suggests the Bulls might try to pry Walker out of Atlanta if the Hawks are willing to take back Antiono Davis' contract, which has one more year, and rookie Andres Nocioni. However, the paper also suggests Atlanta might be more interested in dealing Al Harrington, citing "insiders" who believe the team made a mistake in trying to build around the former Pacers forward.

Walker is in the last year of a contract that pays him $14.6 million this season, and he will provide cap relief for whichever team owns his rights at the end of the season.

This rumor makes some good and bad points, which I think most of us on this board are aware of. 1st off it does exagerate Harrington's status.

He is a solid young player that we got for nothing since we were going to lose Jackson anyway. He called that a mistake? I think this writer may be a little envious of this deal. This was a great job of aquiring talent on our part and no Harrington is not our superstar ( Bird, Magic, Jordan, anyone) and he was never thought of that way.

Walker and Harrington are tradeable but not for anything less than a solid young player or a draft pick. Which brings up the other ridiculous part of this rumor. Antiono Davis' and Andres Nocioni. Not going to happen.

Walker and Harrington bring solid production at the 3 and/or 4 spot. You only get that with a sure fire pick in the draft, so you only give it up for nice draft pick. Though Walkers's worth may be a little lower than Harringtons simply because he is free to leave next year no strings attached.

Whoever has Harrington has him locked in for a full season next year.

This guy would love for the Bulls to be able to add either one of these guys. Its obvious he thinks a lot of them and they would help the Bulls out for the stretch run. But we may not move anyone. Certainly not for those two.

I think these two players offer whoever gets them or has them (us) two very stable choices going into the CBA negotiations at the end of the season.

Walker ask for too much money we cut him loose or do a sign and trade. Harrington is a nice young talent that we can trade anytime if someone ever makes an offer worth what he brings to the table.

Not alot going on out there with the trade deadline right around the corner. A few teams want to make a move, Lakers, Knicks, Twolves, Bulls etc. . . the rumor list is long. But who is willing to give up the pick? That is the million dollar question that this guy did not answer.

It makes very little sense to trade Al Harrington for a "solid" young player when Al Harrington is a very good young player himself.

The people who want Al Harrington traded or even suggest it simply want instant gratification. They can't see the big picture. Good thing Billy Knight can see the big picture.

There is no way that Childress, Smoove, Harrington and Walker will all be here next year. Josh Smith is going to be a starter forever just because he is so much damn fun to watch. Childress is showing what he can do with starter minutes. Harrington is gonna inconsistently put up 18/8 a night while Tione is gonna get you a double double with about 25 shots. I don't see any of those players coming off the bench next year. In fact, I want to see the team of Diaw, Childress, Smith play out the rest of the year as starters. I don't care if Harrington or walker is the other starter but if we trade either, I want to see us get a center who is better than my 5'9" sorry ass. Or at least see Peja back when he is healthy.

Quote:

The people who want Al Harrington traded or even suggest it simply want instant gratification. They can't see the big picture. Good thing Billy Knight can see the big picture.

I do not want anything instantly. The big picture is that Harrington can play the four and score but not really dominate the four. Especially on the defensive end. Smoove and Childress make up our big picture 2 and 3. At least that is what I hope they do, since we did draft them.

The only reason I mention Harrington in a trade is because he is BEING mentioned all over the NBA along with Walker. The article is what I was commenting on. I did not write it that's for sure smirk.gif

Question for KB. What do you think Harrington's trade value is? If you could trade him for the #1 pick in the draft, surely you would. So, where is the cutoff point for keeping Harrington or trading him? Is it the 7th pick? 12th pick? 15th pick?

Didn't the Pacers try to trade Harrington for a top 15 pick last year? His value didn't demand it, and I don't think that has changed. Truthfully none of us know what BK's intentions are. We can only guess. I personally think Harrington has been a bit of a let down, but not terribly so.

Most of the people on this board mention Harrington in trades because he is one of our only pieces that can be traded. We're not gonna trade Chill or Smoove, and that leaves Walker and Harrington as our most valuable assets for trade. Maybe BK thinks the same way you do, but it's equally likely that he doesn't. So, I think it's valid to consider what Harrington might bring in a trade.

Quote:

So, I think it's valid to consider what Harrington might bring in a trade.

I agree it's a valid consideration. Especially so, if we get Bogut with our 1st pick and then end up with a draft pick that turns into a much needed pg.

Like you also stated though, none of us really knows what BK is thinking. Maybe he has no plans at all to trade Harrington and/or draft Bogut or even a pg if available. He could very well take a potential superstar wing man just like some of the other posters are hoping for on this board.

BK will not let anything out concerning his plans until its already done. Drives us just as crazy as it does the "insiders". He keeps his cards close to his vest and that is just being smart, which is what we need.

I do think Harrington has improved his value since last year. He is proving this year that he can post consistent numbers if given the minutes and the daily starts. Something he never got to do for more than ten or fifteen games in a row in Indiana.

I also think, do not know if BK does, that he is a better 3 (more powerfull) than a 4. Due mainly to his size. If he was at least 6" 10' he would be a awesome 4.