• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Question about draft-

ATL_BALLER

In the mockdraft at nbadraft.net, they have us taking Bogut with the #1 pick. I know this has been discussed before -- but if we do land the top spot, would we really pass on Paul, who has a chance to be special?

I like Bogut, but he seems like the safe pick because we need size - Paul is truly dynamic (even at his size).

Thoughts?

Quote:

I like Bogut, but he seems like the safe pick because we need size - Paul is truly dynamic (even at his size).

Thoughts?

Bogut has been my choice since day one this year. Not because he is just big. I think he could be a special player as well. He lit up Tim Duncan for the better part of a international game last year and that was just about enough to convince me.

Unless he just bombs in the NCAA tourney and his pre-draft workouts, he is the best player in the draft. He can play the 4 or center position (ala Duncan) and bigs with already developed talents and skills only come around every two or three years.

Paul could be a bigtime player at the point. But as a lot of others on this board have already pointed out, he seems to have problems with bigger point guards. A lot of big pg's in the NBA.

Unless he truly has the quickness and gamemanship that Iverson, Kidd and Francis have, he may not be as great in the pro's as he is in college or was in highschool.

bogut is not the 'safe pick' or a 'pick because of size'

bogut is truly dominant

and he is VERY VERY dynamic...not only does he efficiently score like Duncan, but he can pass out of double/triple-teams like divac...he can also rebound; a walking double-double...and he can block shots as well

besides that, he's limber and athletic, not some big stiff...he can run and jump...

bogut has a chance to be special...he may never be near the level of a duncan, but there is a very decent chance he'll be a top 3 center within a few years...

also, whereas paul has done worse against better nba-like competition (tall college pgs), bogut did very well against actual nba competition (ie duncan) in international play last year for the olympics

Paul has done pretty well against both Duke and UNC, which have potential NBA prospects Daniel Ewing (6'3") and Raymond Felton (6').

Size at the point guard position is very overrated. so many teams have made mistakes drafting guys because they are 6'3" or taller in the hopes that they become the next magic. What happens is they either move to shooting guard (A. Hardaway, S. Smith, J. Crawford, L. Hughes, etc.), struggle and don't make it in the NBA (J. Sasser, M. Moore, R. Gaines, etc.) or bounce around for a few years before making an impact (C. Billups, A. Daniels, B. Sura, etc.).

I am not saying Paul is necessarily better then Bogut (I am not qualified to make that determination), but to say he won't succeed because he had a rough game or two and is short is crazy. Kevin Johnson, Terrell Brandon, T.J. Ford, Tim Hardaway and others all had success at 6' or under point guards.

not saying because he's short...

but the fact is that he struggles against taller pgs across the NCAA...

he may still be The Answer Part 2...

but even still, I like Bogut better because I like centers who can efficiently score, can rebound and block, and can pass outta double/triple teams...while at the same time being agile and athletic and being tall enough...and for gravy, i like it when they are already tested against NBA players, including the 2nd best player in the league: Duncan...

• Premium Member

Even though we traded for Lue, I doubt that BK will draft a short PG. I think he takes either Bogut or Marvin Williams.

I can almost imagine us getting a pick for Harrington. Let's say a top 5 pick... (Charlotte)... They should have 2?

If so, I can see us taking Bogut and Williams...

Can you imagine:

Bogut/Smoove/Williams/Chillz/ and a PG?

Yeah. I doubt it too. I think that we probably will take Bogut...

• Premium Member

I agree. I think Paul is going to be a very good pro, probably an allstar. It doesn't take long watching him to realize that he knows what he's doing out there and that this level is easy for him.

I think Bogut has been tested but there are still some questions in my mind. I think the personal workouts will point to the truth. We have heard a lot about these Euro Centers before... A lot of hype... A lot of CRAP. None of them have turned out to be what was stated about them...

Hawksquawk1

Diesel on Europlayers 1

• Premium Member

Other than being a Hometownie... What does Marvin Williams bring them that they don't already have?

Remember, they have Gerald Wallace. About that PG?? I wouldn't think that PG was a big concern?? They have Brevin Knight and Jason Hart both of which are having very good seasons.

What they lack is a SG and a guy who can play with Okafor in the halfcourt set. Okafor may just be able to move to C and they can play a Power halcourt game with the right halfcourt PF. That guy is not Melvin Ely... however, Harrington would come in with his 17 ppg and be it.

They have a pretty good center already - Primo Brezac. The only place for Harrington on their team is small forward - which is exactly where Williams would play. They do need a shooting guard but they are better off getting one via free agency or the draft - such as your favorite Gerald Green. As for point guard, there is a reason why Brevin Knight has not been a starter for one team on an extended basis.

I am not sold on Chris Paul yet. J.J. Reddick ate Paul's lunch last week scoring at will on him and Reddick won't be a star in the NBA. The lottery part of the draft is weak this year, than drafts in the past. If Paul had of came out in the 1999 draft with Terry and Francis he would have been a late lottery pick instead of a top5pick.