• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

All this talk about RFAs.....

Diesel

• Premium Member

Why hasn't anybody mentioned Udonis Haslem?

He is going on the market this summer. We can outbid Miami for him. I would say with a 4 yr 27 million dollar deal. Miami can't match.

Haslem is defensive and a good rebounder. He's pulling down about 10 rpg and he's playing next to Shaq. He could be our version of Ben Wallace?

• Premium Member

It's good that you are not the GM either...

because you don't know the value of players...

Haslem will get more than what I suggested... What I suggest is a little less than 7 million per. That's almost 6 million in the first year. That's a little more than the MCE.

That's for a player putting up 11/9 per game in 27 mpg.

Do you know how good that really is?

I meant he is like Wallace in that he's a hard working guy who rarely gets any credit for what he does... Just like you now... You would think CC type money would be good enough for that huh?

• Premium Member

We have a lot of Forwards, but no true PF.

Harrington is not a PF.

Smoove is not a PF yet.

What we have is 3 SF who we pretend are a 2, 3, and 4.

Haslem is the banger who could be a PF. If we don't get our hands on Swift, I think Haslem is a guy who could be just as good as PF.

• Admin

I agree with you that he is a defensive banger. But I think that his production is a direct result of playing along side Shaq-Fu. Some people might say "absurd, Shaq would get those boards". But Shaq is not as nimble as he once was. Haslim is an energy player who will go after AND get, the balls that Shaq can't. I think you put him out there alone and expect him to post those same numbers night in and night out, you'll be disappointed.

I would like to have him. But I wouldn't pay more than 2-3m per, MAX. If another team wants to overpay for him, I say we let them. But I don't want us to do it.

If we're going to take a chance on guys, I'd prefer we do it via the draft. If we're going to sign players to sizey contracts, they have to have be a little more proven.

• Premium Member

Before you get too much applause...

UH Stats

Check out his nuymbers.

in his Rookie year, without Shaq, he got 7.3 ppg, 6.3 rpg in 23 mpg.

This year with Shaq, he gets 11.3 ppg, 9.3 rpg in 33 mpg.

I would suggest that his increase is due to more mpg and not neccessarily due to some inverse Shaq effect...

Indy game.

This year without Shaq against Indiana... Jermaine Oneal in the game..

Haslem - 11 pts, 18 rebs...

Against the Magic it was 9 pts 8 rebs & 10 pts, 12 rebs.

I think that Haslem could do it without Shaq. Maybe the contract size could be looked at but in comparison to Curry.. I think Haslem is probably a much better choice.

• Moderators

I like Haslem too. But this is what we though Ekezie would bring and he hasn't been that effective. My question is not whether he can perform without Shaq but whether he can do it for the Hawks. Good role players can look real bad on rebuilding teams.

preclude us from getting someone like Brown, Chandler or Swift as a PF. Why give Haslem 4 yrs/$27M when you could likely get Brown or Swift for the same or slightly more? Chandler would likely be significantly more but still, I'd rather pay Chandler starting at $8M than Haslem starting at $6M.

• Premium Member

I think that Swift will cost us more.

I think you have a point with effectiveness.

I think Chandler would probably be more effective because of his size and Shot blocking.

I think that Swift would be move effective because he can score and rebound.

Curry though??

In the grand scheme of things here is how I would rank the FAs PF/C this year:

1. Walker.

2. Big Z

3. Swift

4. Reef

5. Chandler

6. Dally

7. Haslem

8. Kwame

9. Curry

10. Pachulia

11. Radman

12. O. Harrington

13. James

14. Hendu

15. Deke

16. Rebracca

17. Ekezie

18. Allen

19. Laettner

20. Potapenko

Brown. Kwame could very well get an offer exceeding $7M a season to start as that is the qualifying offer that WAS has to make in order to keep him as a restricted FA. As for Curry, someone will give him a lot of money based on potential alone.

Here's how I think the top 10 PF/C FAs will rank in the size of the contract they will get.

1. Big Z

2. Curry

3. Chandler

4. Walker

5. Dalembert

6. Brown

7. Swift

8. Reef

9. Radmanovich

10. Haslem

Actually, I think Curry, Big Z, Chandler and Walker will get deals around $9M-$10M a season to start. I think Dalembert, Brown, Swift and Reef will get deals around $7M-$8M a season to start. I think Radmanovich and Haslem will be slightly above the MCE.

Note - I don't think the above list reflects who is better 1-10, just what they will get on the open market.

when I look at that list...I can't help but think ok, guy A would be great on this team, probably garner a larger contract than guy B...but then reconsider when I think about guy B on team x...

so much of that list depends on what a team has, where they are in terms of 'building/what they are competing for'...

only thing for certain for the Hawks...is that we'd need a 4/5...and definitely not a 3/4/5 type guy. Must be center eligible for at least half of his playing time...