• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith vs. Gerald Green

Diesel

Even with Green having the better offensive versatility in high school I wouldn't trade him for Smith. Smith is the better dunker and more built for Nba play because of his extra weight. Also Josh can improve his offensive game but I don't believe Green can learn how to have the timing that Smith has when it comes to blocking shots and if you saw the blocks agains the Clippers how can you give that up. I felt sorry for Wilcox after I stopped laughing.

I wouldn't call Green's propensity to wander around the three point line a better offensive skill set. Green has no in between game. It's either dunk off the break or shoot it from deep.

This is a case of people trying to lop a high school kid, who wouldn't even have been in the top 8 players from last year's class, into the same class with those guys.

There is just no way this guy is as good as Dwight Howard, Shaun Livingston, Josh Smith, J.R. Smith, Al Jefferson, Sebastian Telfair, Marvin Williams, or Rudy Gay. If there is a player that he closely resembles from last year's draft, it is Dorrel Wright, who went around the 19th pick or so.

Last year's class was incredible, because you have the guys that are in the NBA currently, two players who would likely be the top two picks this year if they declared (Marvin Williams and Rudy Gay), and players who could be top 10 picks if they declared this year like Malik Hairston and Daniel Gibson.

• Premium Member

Hmm.....

Lebron went to HS with:

Luol Deng, Chris Paul, Chris Taft, Charlie V., Marcus Slaughter, Outlaw, Ebi, and Perkins...

Jordan went to HS with:

? John Stockton and Charles Barkley?

Shaq was in HS with:

And Let's not forget the Fab 5....

Didn't they start the same year that Grant Hill started? Or was it Mashburn?

The best high school class ever was 1998, the class that produced Alonzo Mourning, Christian Laettner, Billy Owens, Shawn Kemp, Stanley Roberts, Chris Jackson, Malik Sealy, LaPhonso Ellis, Don McLean, Chris Mills, Anthony Peeler and Derrick Martin. Obviously, not all of these guys became superstars but Mourning, Laettner and Kemp all achieved all-star status, but the depth of the class is truely impressive.

well if the new rule goes into place, then there won't be another hs class to consider...

i don't consider anyone in the class that didn't make the leap to the nba...if they went to college, then they are in a college class, not a high school class...

so within 3-4 years, we should know what the best class was...i guarantee it'll be better than 98...

I meant 1988, sorry. I don't think you can look at a high school class and rate it based solely on who went pro right away, and not include players that went to college.

If you look back, Alonzo Morning (stronger more physical Dwight Howard), Billy Owens (highly touted do everything forward - think Marvin Williams), Shawn Kemp (super-athletic big - bigger Josh Smith), Stanley Roberts (massive low post scoring machine - bigger Al Jefferson)and maybe others would have been top 10 picks. Mourning and Owens appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated, so they were hyped. Look at the 1988 draft, the Clippers would have had to make the same decision as the Magic this year - proven Collegian fresh off a national championship (Manning/Okafor)versus potential laden highschool prospect (Mourning/Howard):

1988 NBA Draft

--------------

1st Round

---------

1. Danny Manning Kansas LA Clippers

2. Rik Smits Marist Indiana

3. Charles Smith Pittsburgh Philadelphia

4. Chris Morris Auburn New Jersey

5. Mitch Richmond Kansas State Golden State

6. Hersey Hawkins Bradley LA Clippers

7. Tim Perry Temple Phoenix

8. Rex Chapman Kentucky Charlotte

9. Rony Seikaly Syracuse Miami

10. Willie Anderson Georgia San Antonio

11. Will Perdue Vanderbilt Chicago

12. Harvey Grant Oklahoma Washington

13. Jeff Grayer Iowa State Milwaukee

14. Dan Majerle Central Michigan Phoenix

15. Gary Grant Michigan LA Clippers

16. Derrick Chievous Missouri Houston

17. Eric Leckner Wyoming Utah

18. Rickey Berry San Jose State Sacramento

19. Rod Strickland DePaul New York

20. Kevin Edwards DePaul Miami

21. Mark Bryant Seton Hall Portland

22. Randolph Keys Southern Mississipi Cleveland

23. Jerome Lane Pittsburgh Denver

24. Brian Shaw UC Santa Barbara Boston

25. David Rivers Notre Dame LA Lakers

it just isn't a hs class if u include college players...

u may as well say...1970 was the best year for nba players born...

if u talk about best college class ever, then u mean those that were drafted from college that year...

if u talk about best hs class ever, u mean those that were drafted from hs that year

I don't think most people would agree with your narrow interpretation of what constitutes a high school class. My more inclusive definition, which I believe is the how the term is traditionally used, is much more practical becomes it defines all players of a certain age. This way you can compare them versus their true peers. For example, if Marvin Williams someday surpasses the basketball exploits of Dwight Howard, he will be remembered as the greatest player from the 2004 high school class.

• Premium Member

Well Nicholas,

The reason why it's considerable because for years we have had the McDonalds HS All American game and the round ball classic. A part of the strength of a HS player who makes the jump is "Who did he play against in HS".

When you look at Howard... he had all the gusy of that class.

Lebron had Luol Deng and they had a great rivalry.

Curry had Diop.

and so on and so fourth...

The strength of a HS player will be rated by who is in his class.

When you consider guys he played against, it makes you realize how strong he is... Even if it's after the fact.