• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My perfect offseason

Admin

This is what I would consider to be my perfect offseason.

In the draft I would trade out of the #1 pick, down a few picks, as long as I had assurances of still being able to get Deron Williams. Utah would be perfect to trade with, getting their late 1st as well. He would start at PG from day 1.

PG: Deron Williams (6'3 210)

In FA I would make Larry Hughes my #1 priority. He is the prototype SG that we need. I realize that Childress is our #2 right now, but he could easily slide to SF when Hughes is on the floor. Hughes is perfect for the type of team that Billy likes to have. Long, athletic, great slasher, and terrific defender. With him being unrestricted we have nothing to lose by going after him at midnight the night FA opens.

SG: Larry Hughes (6'5 184)

SF: Josh Childress (6'8 210)

Now, I realize that puts Smooth on the bench, which I am not a huge fan of, but to get Hughes I would be willing to do it. I think that with him being able to rotate in at the 2, 3, and 4 positions he can still get 30-35 mpg easily. There has been talk that Harrington will try and slim down to play SF, but I cant see him ever getting small and quick enough to be able to hold his own out there defensively. Thats why I keep him at the 4.

PF: Al Harrington (6'9 250)

Here comes the big part of the offseason, where we need to get 2 good players, through a combo of FA and the draft. Channing Frye would be my choice late in the 1st with the pick we got from Utah. If we knew he he would last until our 2nd rounder of course I would hold off so that we didnt have to guarantee him. He isnt a prototype C, but he is tall enough, mature, with a high basketball IQ, and is very athletic. I think he fits in very well with the type of player that Billy likes.

In FA after Hughes I would make a huge offer to Dalembert. I know some of you arent convinced with him and he still has some consistency issues, but I honestly believe he is on the verge of becoming an All-Star C. He has had some huge games for the Sixers this year and last year and just needs to continue along this path, but as the full time starter. I dont believe that Philly wouldnt make a huge offer for him, so we should be able to get him. Chandler would be my fallback, but I am worried too much about his back to make him my first choice.

PF: Al Harrington (6'9 250)

C: Samuel Dalembert (6'11 250)

So, that would be my starting 5. After that 5, my bench would look like this. I think that in FA I would also go after Vo Lenard. He may very well go back to Denver, but then again he might not. He would be a tremendous shooter for us off the bench. With the top pick of the 2nd round I would take another off guard. Rashad McCants would be my first choice if he is still there (as DraftCity predicts).

PG: T. Lue, R. Ivey

SG: V. Lenard, R. McCants

SF: J. Smith, D. Smith (B. Diaw backs up the 1,2,3)

PF: T. Gugliotta (Smooth could play here as well)

C: O. Ekezie, C. Frye (both could play the 4 as well)

This team would be more athletic, with better shooting than this years version. We may be able to to contend for the last playoff spot next year, but at the very least we should see a nice improvement.

• Premium Member

Quote:

This is what I would consider to be my perfect offseason.

In the draft I would trade out of the #1 pick, down a few picks, as long as I had assurances of still being able to get Deron Williams. Utah would be perfect to trade with, getting their late 1st as well. He would start at PG from day 1.

PG:
Deron Williams (6'3 210)

I would do it too if we were guarenteed to pick up frye with the second 1st round pick. But the only problem is that Utah has identified the point guard position as their main position to be up graded and they like Deron Williams. So they might not be willing to do the trade.

i like deron, too...

but we CANNOT pass up bogut...

bogut is absolutely the BPA and u don't finally get the #1 to trade it down

besides, deron may be gone by utah's pick...especially if paul and/or marvin don't come out

what we need is to trade al for a top 10 pick and get deron or felton (or ukic/jack worst case) to go with bogut, chill, smoove

then we need to offer hughes money at midnight on the day...

then get dalembert and/or chandler

deron/ivey/diaw

hughes/chill/delk/diaw

chill/smoove/danta/diaw

smoove/chandler/bogut

bogut/dalembert/chandler

if u wanna go after a korver or jacobsen as well for more outside shooting, then go ahead...

u could also go for jaric or watson to start pg until the drafted one was ready...doesn't hurt to be deep

I agree, Bogut is the guy the needs are neededing, and hopefully we are able to draft him. I'm sick of seeing guys at center for us like Ekezie who is undersized, and can't even block a shot.

It's been awhile since we've had a true big center who can holds his own, so I'm wanting to see the Aussie center wave his finger like our past Dikembe Mutombo did.

I want Deron Williams also, but maybe we can trade for another lottery pick.

I'm not so sure Bogut is clearly the BPA after watching Deron Williams' performance in the tourney.

It is very difficult to find a Big with Bogut's skills, but you certainly don't want to pass up on a Jason Kidd type point guard in Williams either.

I personally would not be upset at all if we took Deron Williams with the first overall pick. After watching him in the tourney, I think he is that damn good. We still could address the Bigs in Free Agency.

Remember guys the hawks will invite all these possible draft picks to tryout for them so BK can make the best decision possible.I would love to see felton,williams,paul,jack play against each other.BK better bring in some big men for bogut to see if he can play well against them!

Rome was not built in a day. It is not realistic to believe that the Hawks can sign Hughes, Dalembert and Chandler.

Bogut is a great prospect but, for this Hawks team, I think a combo of Deron Williams and Dalembert is a better fit then Bogut and FA point guard. Dalembert would give the hawks some much needed defensive presence in the paint and Deron Williams reminds me of a Jason Kidd/Steve Nash franchise point guard that makes everyone around him better. Williams could do for Chills and Smoove what Kidd did for Kenyon and Jefferson, and what Nash is doing for Stoudamire and Marion.

Quote:

a) bogut is BPA

b) bogut is a big

c) no guarantee we can sign ANY big this offseason...

d) this is PERFECT OFFSEASON...i know we won't get hughes/daly/chandler

e) we can trade up to get ukic/jack or even trade al to get deron/felton/paul(ugh)

a. What makes you so sure?

b. ok

c. I'd say are chances are very good as we are well below the cap.

d. I seriously doubt trading AH gets you into the top 5, which is where all of those prospects are likely to be.

Exactly, Harrington will not bring a top 10 1st round pick back in a trade. Remember, he is due an extension at the end of next year so most teams would rather keep their own draft pick and use it on a player who will be much cheaper over the next four years. Remember, Indiana tried to trade Al last year for a top 10 pick and no one took the bait. By the way, he's not good enough IMO and give up a top 10 pick so I don't fault other GM's for not making that trade especially since they would have to sign him to an extension in a year.

We should draft Deron Williams if available, otherwise I would draft Bogut and try to get another 1st round pick and draft Jack. I would also go after Dalembert regardless of who we get in the draft.

Quote:

a. What makes you so sure?

b. ok

c. I'd say are chances are very good as we are well below the cap.

d. I seriously doubt trading AH gets you into the top 5, which is where all of those prospects are likely to be.

a) his skillset, scouting reports, etc

c) they are all (but swift, who has ties to NOLA) RFA, which means their teams can match

d) jamison got mavs #5 last year...lots of teams think they are one player away...

Trading down from the #1 spot? I've been rolling that idea in my head too and I'm with you. Sure you don't get the top pick only to trade down from it but if you have an opportunity to get some additional picks and a player or two who can help you out immediately (i.e., a guy who otherwise wouldn't be here), why not at least explore your options? Of course, the starting price for teams willing to make this move with the Hawks will have to be high (their lotto pick, a future lotto pick, and a player that knows what a 16/7 career average looks like for starters). Think about it, folks. Why wait 2-3 years on Bogut to be the next Dirk Nowitski (or worse, the next Jim McIlvaine) when you could get immediate value from the pick right away by getting a good player in return, a future pick, and STILL have a lottery pick to play with THIS YEAR? Although Billy Knight did a good job with the draft last year, this team hasn't drafted an All-Star in 21 SEASONS, so I'm STILL not sold on this franchise finally being able to make a historic pick like the top one overall without it folding like a cheap card table. If Bogut proves to be everything that the 'experts' say he is during the workouts, I say draft him. Otherwise, you have to trade down....

Alot of people don't think Harrington is worth a top ten pick, but what if we included someone or something else. Toronto has the number 9 and 14 picks this draft.

If we give them harrington and the Lakers pick next year I think it would be worth the number 9 pick they have and if we get the number one pick get Bogut and pick the best PG available with the 9 pick. Deron Williams will probably be gone especially if Chris Paul doesn't enter the draft but shipping out Harrington and taking the chance at getting Deron would be worth it IMO.

What is Sean May is still around for the 9th pick.