• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What's the board's feeling on Channing Frye.

Diesel

I like him alot as a prospect, but I don't think he is a defensive monster in the making. Okafor was a defensive monster in the making at UConn, but he is still working on that at the NBA level.

He does have some nice skills, excellent athleticism and good size.

Frye would be the shotblocker the hawks need since interior defense is atrocious.Pair him with Bogut add childress and Josh Smith you have the makings of a dominate team.Harrington,I have said before I like his game but he is a tweener and the hawks must get a true power forward.If we traded harrington I would think the hawks could get near the top 10 pick.Would you take frye then or if a point guard was there in felotn take him? I think Frye goes 15-20 in draft.

• Premium Member

I never looked at Okafor as being a great pro defensive player. I guess it was back problems, but he never exhibited quickness with his feet. I thought he'd be a good rebounder and that's about it. Which is why I wanted Howard so much more than Okafor... Looking at it now, I'd still take Howard... I love his offense/defense.

I wonder why you guys don't mention Howard in the rookie of the yr talks? Just Gordon/Okafor... I think Howard has been steady (and good) all season. He's even getting better. I have a feeling that the ROY will remain in the hands of somebody right out of HS....

Amare/Lebron/Howard...

Back to the issue.

Channing Frye.. I think has more defense. He's lighter but he's a quick jumper, has good timing on his shot blocking, has good footwork. I think that until he makes weight, he should start off in a Zone... Or at least in a system with a PF that can give Double help.

Frye/Bogut in the frontcourt might not be a match this first season... It's hard to start 2 rookie Big men. For that reason, i would look to add a vet big man. Googs could be the man. He could play some Pf to their C rotation...

Or we could play Drobs/Bogut and let Bogut learn as a PF, however, we'd have the weakest Defense in the world.

Channing Frye is Loren woods Part II. The guy is tooo skinny and likes to shoot fifteen footers. Even in Arizona he seems mentally out of the game at some times and never really asserts himself in the paint. Plus, he is nowhere near Chandler in terms of man to man defense. He won't be a nba starter.

During the tourney I had a thread saying as much. I really like Frye (and not just because he hails from Arizona). I think, though at the moment he is sort of slender, he could become anything between very decent to VERY great. Not to make any sort of comparison but I could see Smoove and Frye becoming the Matrix and Amare of the East. Wouldn't that be great!

Quote:

Channing Frye is Loren woods Part II. The guy is tooo skinny and likes to shoot fifteen footers. Even in Arizona he seems mentally out of the game at some times and never really asserts himself in the paint. Plus, he is nowhere near Chandler in terms of man to man defense. He won't be a nba starter.

I have to disagree with you on pretty much everything you say here. Sure, he's slightly slender but there is bulk there, and that can be worked on. Also, what's so bad about shooting fifteen footers? That just means we would spread the defense some. I hope your not referring to his play in the tourney because I saw nothing of the sort; he was constently busting his arse out there. And to finish up, Frye will be starting for some team at some point in his career (hopefully with us).