• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Here's your offseason

Diesel

• Premium Member

We trade Al/Delk/Stewart/2nd (SA) to the Knicks for Penny/1st.

With the first pick we take Bogut.

With the 8th pick we take Frye.

With the 2nd rounder we take Eddie Basden.

IN FAcy, we sign E. Watson, Googs, Hendu, and we make a strong bid for Dally.

We trade Diaw/Drobs to Houston for Mike James.

Our team:

James/Watson/Ivy

Childress/Basden

Smoove/Donta

Bogut/Hendu/Googs

Dally/Frye

This will be an interesting off-season for the Hawks. Currently in the NBA there does not seem to be one single formula for success.

Teams like the Lakers and now the Heat are successful because they have a truly dominant big man and a multi-talented athletically gifted wing. That is an impossible forumla to copy because Shaq is one of a kind. The same could be said of the Spurs with Duncan. Only difference being that instead of a truly great wing they have a collection of players that fill out the picture.

Detroit, is an interesting paradigm in that there is no one dominant player. Ben Wallace is the closest but his dominance is somewhat limited in that he brings little to the table offensively. That said, his defensive prowess certainly allows the team to succeed without a true superstar offensive weapon. The Pistons are a well coached, opportunistic team that gets contributions from multiple sources, but really everything revolves around defense.

Phoenix this year, and the Nets in years past thrive because of the brilliance of their point guards. Make no mistake, Nash and Kidd unquestionably elevate their teammates level of play. Both teams have talented athletes on the wings, but the point guard play sets the tone for those teams.

So you have three pasic paradigms of success - truly dominant big man, defensive team approach or truly gifted pass-first oriented point guard.

In the draft, at this point the top two to three picks are likely Bogut and Deron Williams and Chris Paul, if he is in the draft. Bogut certainly looks to be an excellent center prospect, question is - is he a dominant big man or just a very good big man? Is he more Duncan or more Brad Miller/Z. Ilglauskas?

Is Deron Williams or Chris Paul a Jason Kidd or Steve Nash type point guard?

If Bogut is considered the next Duncan, you take him, no questions asked. If not, then you get to the question of how good are Williams and Paul. If either is a Kidd/Nash, you take that player. If neither is at that level, then you are back to Bogut even if he is not the next Duncan.

As a Rockets fan, there is no way you get James for that.

He and Wesley came in and turned the Rockets season around. James combines with Sura to be an adequate PG and Wesley is an adequate SG (and they all fit the system) - when you add Yao and T-Mac that puts you in the playoffs.

Now, you could get Juwan Howard (and Vin Baker/weatherspoon if you need someone to keep the bench warm) pretty cheap - you just gotta take his contract.

Seriously, the Rockets may part with James if someone was willing to take the bad contracts (which are not so bad because they expire after one more year) but otherwise he stays.

The one move the Rockets are likely to make is adding something to Juwan (who has a little value) and trying to get a bruising PF to complement Yao.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Currently in the NBA there does not seem to be one single formula for success.

Teams like the Lakers and now the Heat are successful because they have a truly dominant big man and a multi-talented athletically gifted wing.

I think that Defense has always won out. The only championship teams without defense that I can call are: Houston/Lakers (Showtime)... And I wouldn't say that they didn't have defense, I will say that defense wasn't the first thing you noted when you saw them.

But a championship team has to be able to stop the other team.

It's why the Lakers beat Philly.

It's why Detroit beat the Lakers.

It's why San Antonio will play Miami in the finals and Phoenix will be watching from home.

I see Frye's value steadily rising. He did very well (numbers-wise - I didn't see the game so I don't know truly how it went) against Bogut when they played this past season and after seeing him play in the tourney I truly see him doing things in the league.

Arizona 67, Utah 62

Frye - 28min, 7-12FGs, 9reb, 2ast, 19pts, 3blks

Bogut - 36min, 8-10FGs, 10reb, 3ast, 20pts, 0blks

Please take notice to the blocks category. Frye also played less but still averaged around the same.

Quote:

Scouting Report: Thinly-built big man with a smooth back to the basket repertoire ... Makes use of the ball fake in the post, he is very adept at getting his defender in the air ... Keeps the ball high and cuts to his position well ... Long arms allow him to do a lot of good as his reach allows him to come over the top of his opponent ... Loves the jump hook, and should be able to develop a game facing the basket ... Good shot-blocker, and runs the floor well ... Great recovery quickness, he's able to get up and down for a second and third jump very quickly ... Possesses a nice set of hands to pull in caroms and feeds ... Has improved his decision making on the floor, with regard to not only shot selection, but in terms of avoiding foul trouble and finding his teammates on offense.

Keep in mind Frye is two years older, three inches shorter, and the coaching he receives at Arizona is far superior to anything Bogut received at Utah.

I wouldn't touch Frye before the second round.

He had a nice tournament and all, but just.. no. He has no mental toughness.

For bigs we need guys who are at least 6'11. Stoudamire is certainly undersized, but he is a very solid player, an incredible scorer, great shooter, and is big time clutch. Sure he didnt come through against Illinois, but he was there every other time that I saw. IMO when you can get a player of his caliber later in the 1st or maybe early 2nd you cant pass that up. Players with his mentality usually become very good pros. I love his aggression and his belief in himself. Those are things that certainly translate to the NBA.

Having said that, I would love to have Frye. I love his versatility, however I wouldnt take him over Stoudamire.

One thing that would be interesting, if we drafted Stoudamire, would Mighty Mouse want to come here? He has matured quite a bit over the past couple of years and would be a major upgrade to our offense. For the right price, I might take a shot at him.

ok, so they both had four fouls...I'm not going to review the 'minutes' of the game, but if anyone recalls watching it and can provide insight on to how and when each player got into 'foul troulbe' it would actually be interesting to look at...

• Premium Member

I saw the game...

Frye got into early foul trouble, let the game.

When he came back, Arizona went on a run and Utah went scoreless for what seemed like forver... The only guy who could score when Frye got back in the game was Marc Jackson and Bogut from outside 1 time. Frye also took Bogut into the low post and used the jump hook and his lateral quickness to put up at least 6 points in a row on their run.

All this talk about Frye being a second rounder is the only joke on this board...

Frye might not be on your mock radar now, but draft night, he will be a lottery pick...

He's Theo at 7 feet with an offensive game.