• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How do we get better at defending the 3point shot?

Blunt91

This Hawks team has lost alot of games against good shooting teams because we do not defend the perimeter shooters of other teams. Our pointguards don't do a good job of fighting threw the pick that is set and then our bigmen aren't athletic enough to keep up with the guard that is driving to the basket. Do we need to find players who are better one on one defenders? Would having a quicker and more athletic center or Powerforward solve the problem of geting beat on some of the pick and roll plays? The reason I say this is because let's say if we had of had Tyson Chandler on our team last night instead of Kevin Willis, Tyson Chandler would have had enough speed and hops to keep up and defend guards like a Kirk Hinrich that are driving to the basket on these plays. We wouldn't have to send help because he is quick enough to keep up with them unlike the unathletic jason Collier, Peja and the old guy Kevin Willis. I think this team needs the right balance of Offensive players and defensive players. We have some guys already who are decent one on one defenders like Smoove, Harrington, Ivey etc. but none of these guys can shoot the ball consistently. We should be running more plays where the shooter is coming off of picks(That's how all the other teams use their shooters)instead of dumping the ball into the lowpost and moving the ball around the perimeter. We need to find out the best way to solve our defensive lapses. I don't understand why we keep having these lapses when the coaches have already told you how to defend against the teams 3point shooting but yet they fail to excute it on the court.

we leave men open because we go to help out and double team

we need better interior defense

smoove at pf (no longer having to leave a man open at the 3 to go in for a block) and bogut at c with chandler or daly backing them up would help a lot...adding in deron on the perimeter to limit their pg penetration would do wonders as well

Well, I think Woodson is trying to cover up the fact that the Hawks have a few players who are defensive liabilities.

I also think, for the zone to work, the Hawks players need to be more active. A couple times Diaw or Josh Smith would not get out to cover the wing after a cross-court pass.

If we had some interior defense, it would help also. If you have Jason Collier behind you, you have to worry about someone driving by you for an easy layup. If you have shaq, you go balls out after the shooter and let him drive. Having no center kills us in so many aspects.