9.4ppg

6.1rpg

1.7apg

.82spg

1.94bpg

.458fg%

.680ft%

.200 3pt%

and that's the whole year...smoove has averaged much more than 9.4ppg the past 2.5 months...

so tell me, why should we give swift even the MLE when we have smoove?

Yeah I was never so big on Swift. But we need talent regardless. A good NBA team needs 8-9 really talented players. After the draft, we'll have 3-4 that have the potential to be good. We need more talented big men and little men. We just can't overpay

Also, are they both really 6'9? I would have guessed that swift was a good 2 inches taller than smoove. I guess it's just because he's so lanky and smoove jumps so high

Good point, we do need players. That's one reason I wouldnt just give up on Harrington for a pick, even though he creates problems due to his position and size. Swift would be a nice PF/C to come off the bench. Playing beside our current bigmen he wouldnt help much since we need more size. I'd rather look at other options at this point but I'd still make Swift an offer, apparently not a big enough one given who seems to want him. I'd rather overpay for Hughes.

we are going to have to overpay for any FA that has 'proven' themselves in the L to any degree.

why did we get SJax on the cheap? because he wanted to 'prove his starter potential and status'...and he walked after having done so.

want that to happen again for any guy that's semi-established? we're going to have to overpay, period.

what makes you think he'll go to NO? because he played ball at LSU?

their team is further behind in rebuilding than are the Hawks, plus they're in the 'bigger' Western conference...

given our mgt, the city of atlanta, and the 'point' of rebuiding of the two teams, I think we're clearly 'more desireable' than NO...

As mentioned as well, keep in mind that Swift is 'much easier' to obtain than Dally or Chandler, as he's an urFA; that fact alone changes things drastically.

who cares if he is easier to obtain?

he doesn't do anything that smoove and harrington don't do...

he plays the same position as smoove and al

why again do we pay him 7+mil/year?

if we get daly, we'll get a true center who can get 10/10/3

if we get chandler we'll get a 7'er who can get 10/10/3

if we get swift we get yet another 6'9 230lb tweener who can get 10/7/2

but not that smoove can't do

he'll be our backup no matter how u slice it

if we trade al for a pick, smoove is gonna be our pf

if we keep al, him or smoove will be our pf

u wanna pay 7+ for a backup at this stage in our rebuilding?

is swift gonna put us anywhere near the top, much less over it?

that's a mid-range contract for a guy that's what, 27?

the funny thing is, I think Al's a better 'allround' player than Swift, but he doesnt fit well at all with the younger guys that most here are pegging as our future.

Swift is a tremendous athlete, has played in the playoffs (twice with this year), blocks shots and rarely demands plays for him...which I think is a perfect fit to play with Smoove and Chill, as well as any other center we want to bring in here.

He's also shown ability to come off the bench in the case that we want Smoove to start at pf~ something that cannot be overlooked. He just seems to fit in well, and that's the best thing I can say about wanting him. He would fit with nearly any team in teh league.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Swift is a tremendous athlete, has played in the playoffs (twice with this year), blocks shots and rarely demands plays for him...which I think is a perfect fit to play with Smoove and Chill, as well as any other center we want to bring in here.

He's also shown ability to come off the bench in the case that we want Smoove to start at pf~ something that cannot be overlooked. He just seems to fit in well, and that's the best thing I can say about wanting him. He would fit with nearly any team in teh league.

No one is saying that Swift is a bad player or we wouldn't want him on the team. We are simply saying that 7mil would be too much for his type of talent. For half of that 7 million, bring him on.

I would much rather give Al Harrington that contract. He is the better player. I think Harrington works better at forward with Josh Smith because they are both tweener types and thus can be rotated defensively depending on match-ups. Yes the Hawks can run plays for Al, which is a good thing because they do not have anyone else they run plays for.

Also, given how well Josh Smith and Josh Childress rebound, does it really matter if Al is a great rebounder? The real weak point is center, so I rather spend 8-10 million on a Dalembert then 7 on Swift.