• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Only Way I draft Bogut...

LastDon

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

I wonder how good Drobs and Okur would Look against the same competition Bogut played against??

Maybe they would pass 10x better, rebound 4x better, and look to have 5x more room to improve!

Drobs and Okur have played at the highest level in Europe and produced heavily so I know that both could average anywhere to 25-30 points a game at a mid major.

Boguts Olympic stats are overated because we really didn't have that much scouting information on him and some of the rest of the guys that participated during the basketball events. However during the course of an 82 game season teams no every detail about what a player is capable of doing

• Premium Member

Dude.. I won an international MVP when Boris Spassky's team visited Piedmont Park and challenged My team: Forrest, X-Ray Hip, Craig Neal, and D. A. Layne...

Bogut's Olympic showing was good offensively, but defensively he SUCKED..

So all we have left is a weak schedule for UTah.

I realize during the Modern Era of guys playing the Center position that the successful franchise centers all were athletic.

The Center Position is the only spot were an the lack of athletism will hender you from being dominant. Guys who lack athletism like Brad Miller, Big Z are good players but because of their lack of athletism they are not dominant. Therefore, neither of those guys would warrant being an #1 overall pick.

We need someone who is going to provide dominance offensively and on D. B/S stats about block shots against guys who's average height is about 6'8 isn't going to cut the cake and those are the type of stats that are presented in reference to Bogut D.

A good Measurement would be the number of Blocks he had against team U.S.A. or Argentina in the Olympics.

Quote:

The Center Position is the only spot were an the lack of athletism will hender you from being dominant.

That is the most nonsensical thing I have heard in some time....and I read most of Diesel's posts, so that's saying something. A lack of athletism [sic] henders [sic] a player from being dominant at any position, just as a lack of height reduces one's chances of being dominant at any position on the floor. That's not to say that short or non-athletic players can't occasionally be great; rather, those things are a strike against them. Clearly, most of the dominant players in the NBA at all positions are tall and athletic.

I have nothing personally for or against Bogut, but I do understand that he's rated as high as he is for a reason. You guys who are comparing him to Drobs have not the reasoning ability to project a player's performance at the NBA level. You only say Drobs because he's a Euro center that you know who has white skin, not because Bogut's game is ANYTHING like his. Bogut is a tenacious rebounder, and whether he translates that or not, that's what he is at this point. Drobs doesn't have it in him to play in the post. He's a 6'11" small forward.

• Admin

You're holding out for dominant player when there is clearly no such player in this draft. So knowing that there is no dominant player, you would pass on taking a very good player who plays a position, with size, that is the most sought after commodity in the league? That is...absurd.

If every player has a limitation, you take the player who gives you something that nobody else can has or can get. Game limited PG's, SG's and SF's are , sorry to say, a dime a dozen in basketball. 7' centers, albeit limited, are not dime a dozen. Especially ones with the un-limited abilities that Bogut exhibits.

• Premium Member

I wouldn't call it a lack of athleticism.. That word has been stereotyped horridly.

I would say lack of latteral movement.

IN INTERIOR defense, there is NOTHING that can make up for Slow latteral quickness. Nothing. Because if a Center can not move from side to side with quickness or mobility, he's done...

This is the problem I see with Bogut. And the stats bare it out. More Mobile players have had success against Bogut's defense. Less Mobile players are the guys who Bogut wants to play against.

• Premium Member

A lot of people try to muddy the conversation by bringing race into it.

What's the difference between Bogut and Olowakhandi?

Both had dominate stats at Small Programs.

Both were lauded for the international play.

Both could be picked first overall in a mediocre draft.

Style wise however, Bogut PLAYS like a lot of the Europlayers...

He passes more than the average player. He defends less than the average player. The only difference is rebounding in which he gets bloated numbers the same way Olowakhandi did... Being a 7 footer in a field filled with 6'7 people..

• Premium Member

Quote:

I have nothing personally for or against Bogut, but I do understand that he's rated as high as he is for a reason. You guys who are comparing him to Drobs have not the reasoning ability to project a player's performance at the NBA level. You only say Drobs because he's a Euro center that you know who has white skin, not because Bogut's game is ANYTHING like his. Bogut is a tenacious rebounder, and whether he translates that or not, that's what he is at this point. Drobs doesn't have it in him to play in the post. He's a 6'11" small forward.

Just honestly take a look at Drobs... Let's not mention Bogut for the time being...

What things do Drobs do well and what things do Drobs not do well?

• Admin

Drobs is a good shooter, mediocre inside scorer, decent rebounder (below average for his size).

Bogut is a good shooter, excellent insider scorer, excellent rebounder.

The biggest difference between them, and it also applies to Olowakandi whom you mentioned in a previous post, is attitude and desire. Drobs has the typical subservient attitude of most euro players. He doesn't know how to exert his will on teh game because their game isn't played that way, or at least wasn't in his time. Kandi has always been questioned for his desire, even before he was drafted #1. Bogut trumps both of tehm by having the attitude that "you are going to have to stop me" and by having a tremendous desire to improve.

That same attitude and desire is what many here, you included, have used to justify picking lower ranked US streetballer types over more highly ranked euro prospects. Why consistantly overlook that attitude and desire when comparing Bogut to everyone else?