• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Players from a business standpoint

tmac13

In trying to predict what the Hawks will do this offseason I think most of us have not taken into account BK's steadfast determination to never pay too much for a player.The top big guys on the market will be :

Chandler

Dalembert

Curry

Swift

Gadzuric

Kwame

The top point guards will be:

Watson

Stoudamire

The top big guys will get 6 or 7 year deals of at least 55 to 60 million dollars, maybe more if there is a bidding war..The guards will demand cosiderably less, and for less years..

A top 4 draft choice will get 3 guaranteed years in the neighborhood or 11 ior 12 million..

The conclusion is that if we draft a point(Paul or Williams) and sign a big(Swift, Dalembert, or Chandler/Curry) we will be investing between 70 and 80 million dollars in 2 players..If we draft a big(Bogut) and sign a point guard, even if we overpay a guy like Stoudamire(say 4 years 36 million) we have invested less than 50 million in those 2 position and only tied our money up for 4 years instead of 6 or 7. I think Kwame is the one big with potential we might get for a lessor deal(maybe 4 years 35 million?)

So my plan is to draft Bogut, sign Stoudamire,try to sign Kwame reasonably, resign Lue, go find us another cheaper big like Keon Clark or Stephen Hunter to provide depth..Maybe grab Salim Stoudamire with our 31 pick for offense off the bench..We end up with:

Stoudamire,Lue, Ivy

Childress, Delk, Salim

Smoove, Diaw, Donta

Harrington,Kwame

Bogut, Clark,Project(Diop?)

Just a thought...

Sounds reasonible tmac. I could live with that lineup.I wonder if anyone or BK himself has looked at next year's draft in order to possibly effect who is taken this year? You can get a decent point guard at least with the 15th pick which probably holds true for next year so point guards are easier to obtain.There is no reason to blow money on players who may never live up to promise.

I just wish we had another number 1 pick to get Fernandez,Jack etc etc.Then again if we do it your way the power foward at least needs to block shots and rebound.

putting a lot of stock in non-existent defense (with that lineup) would be my concern.

While possibly in favor of Bogut (lots of thigns yet to be determined), and I DO NOT believe that he and Al would have a good tandem inside. augh. shuddering thinking about it, esp. with suspect D inherent with DS.

Very logical thinking and as a guess is probably most likely how we'll look next year. With all our capspace we can chase more players but probably wont overspend and probably wont get one. If we get the top pick it'll also be tough for us to pass up on Bogut. I also like the smaller pickups of a center like Diop and Salim as a shooter.

If the value of the centers does go to high, BK wont chase, especially in years. We need some bigs but when you can get Walker or Reef for potentially a lot less than some unproven center prospect it makes the draft bigs an even smarter stategy.

I am with Weez on this, that line-up does not look great defensively. I would not sign Damon Stoudamire for a bag of pretzels let alone multiple millions of dollars for a number of years. Stoudamire is light years removed from his best seasons and far from and ideal fit for the Hawks. His production will only decline as he continues to age.

If I am not mistaken, next year Greg Oden, high schooler, has been talked about as a potential number 1 pick (although he may not be as good as advertised). The year after that is O.J. Mayo, who is supposed to be the next LeBron.