• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Say No to Louis Williams at the 31st pick

clrumph

If Louis Williams is available to the Hawks at the top of round 2 I think that BK should pass. I know Williams is a good kid from a local school but the fact of the matter is he's 6-2 and 175 pounds with no PG skills yet. Let someone else groom him for the next 2-4 years because we all know the Hawks need IMMEDIATE help.

I would much prefer Ronny Turiaf or even Salim Stoudamire because those players can provide depth and scoring off the bench right away. Now if Williams slips all the way down to our other 2nd round pick (#59) then grab him, but there is no way he falls that far IMO.

Why would you prefer Salim Stoudamire over Louis Williams? Stoudamire is no more of a point guard than Williams is, and he has the same size limitations. All Stoudamire will be in the NBA is a spot up jump shooter. The potential for Louis Williams to become a dynamic point guard is there though. To pass on that kind of potential for a jump shooter would be mind boggling to me.

I believe Louis Williams is a lot closer to being a point guard than Monta Ellis is. Williams at least showed that he could run an offense in some of the postseason high school all star games. Monta struggled with his shot and also turned the ball over a lot.

Quote:

Why would you prefer Salim Stoudamire over Louis Williams? Stoudamire is no more of a point guard than Williams is, and he has the same size limitations. All Stoudamire will be in the NBA is a spot up jump shooter. The potential for Louis Williams to become a dynamic point guard is there though. To pass on that kind of potential for a jump shooter would be mind boggling to me.

Stoudamire is one of the best shooters to come out of the draft in years. He is what this Hawks team needs off the bench next year, a Ben Gordon type who can change the game with his outside shooting and his ability to hit big shots in the clutch. This Hawks team lacks any perimeter shooting outside of Lue and he is a FA so he might not return, and there is no way of knowing if he will because free agency starts after the draft.

Look, I'm not saying the Louis Williams doesn't have great potential, but there is a one man list of smallish shooting guards being highly successful in the NBA (Allen Iverson). Williams will not be able to help next year because of his inexperience, inconsistent jumper (especially from NBA 3 point range), lack of defensive skills and his inability to step in and play the point right away. At best I see him as another Jason Terry (they are basically the same size except that Terry weighs 20 more pounds), not another Iverson, and it will take him at least 2-4 years to be as good as Terry was when he was a combo guard with the Hawks.

Basically it comes down to this: do you want a player such as Stoudamire who has four years of college experience and is ready to contribute immediately with his long range shooting off the bench, or are you willing to wait 2-4 years to see if Williams turns out to be the next Jason Terry, Allen Iverson, or Rodney Monroe (old school Hawks fans know who I'm talking about).

I'm just saying that I would prefer us take someone who can contribute immediately off the bench while drafting our PG of the future earlier in the draft (D. Williams, Chris Paul, Felton, or Jack). If we don't get one in the draft we we can sign Earl Watson and re-sign Lue instead and try to draft a real franchise PG again next year.

Gilchrist has character issues so I doubt that BK would draft him. I would actually prefer a big man like Turiaf of Frye with our 2nd round pick, but those two might get drafted during the 1st round.

Stoudamire would be my pick among the guards because he has a speciality that this team sorely lacks, which is outside shooting from long range.

By the way, I don't see Stoudamire as true PG either, but as a combo guard who can provide instant offense off the bench he could fit the bill (a la Ben Gordon or Juan Dixon). I believe we can get a true PG with our 1st round pick or through FA, so there would be no need to draft another PG at the top of the 2nd round.

Salim is a spot up shooter, and whoever said he would be like Gordon is mistaken. However, you have to take a moment to think about how great a shooter Stoudamire is.

I believe that Stoudamire will be one of the top 15 players in this coming draft for the duration of his career. The problem is, he doesn't have a chance to be one of the top 10, as Louis Williams does. The question is, are we more interested in a proven commodity in Stoudamire or a player who has such great bust potential as Louis Williams.

I think this team needs Stoudamire more than any other team in the league. He may never start, but he's the guy in this draft who could be sixth man of the year for a few years. That's a pretty good player. There has not been such a natural shooter to come out of college that I remember in my lifetime. Ever. Even Reggie Miller, as tremendous as he was at UCLA, was not draining 3's like Stoudamire did at Arizona last year.

If he is there at #31, I would seriously think about taking him. I would take Jack first, of course. I might give Gilchrist and Garcia a hard look, too. Maybe Blatche, too.

My point exactly. Our team needs a deadly deep shooter like Stoudamire over the potential of Louis Williams IMO. We were 30th (that right dead last) in the league in 3 pointers made and 3-pt%. No one under contract for next year has any legitimate range outside of 20 feet and since the 3 point line is 23ft. 9in that is a major problem.

Kapono would be a fine pickup if he came cheap but how many minutes will he get behind Childress and Josh Smith? At least Stoudamire can play both guard positions won't take time from either of our young stars.

If we do pick Williams over Stoudamire I won't be crushed even though I won't agree with it, but we'd better pick up at least 2 or 3 shooters somehow in the draft or FA. Kapono, Kareem Rush, Matt Bullard, and Voshon Lenard are names that come to mind as far as FA's. Of course those guys are not great players but at least they can come off the bench and knock down some long range jumpers when the starters are laying bricks.

Quote:

If we do pick Williams over Stoudamire I won't be crushed even though I won't agree with it, but we'd better pick up at least 2 or 3 shooters somehow in the draft or FA. Kapono, Kareem Rush, Matt Bullard, and Voshon Lenard are names that come to mind as far as FA's. Of course those guys are not great players but at least they can come off the bench and knock down some long range jumpers when the starters are laying bricks.

Oops!! I meant to say Matt Bonner from the Toronto Raptors, not Matt Bullard. I think Bullard won the ESPN Dream Job contest right?

Who says the hawks need to win?

I know many of you are going to tell me how in the 2nd round you are supposed to draft proven players, but there is so much potential here we would be stupid not to draft him. So what if he can't run the point. The difference with every other person compared to Iverson they don't have half of his athleticism. Louis was named Naismith player of the year, doesn't that count for something. If there is any chance in hell he maked it to the 2nd round, why wouldn't we draft a mini Walker who we can groove correctly into a great player.

His athleticism alone should get him in the 1st round, not to mention his handles. I right now would draft Louis over Jack.

At least Louis has the chance to be something better than a power guard. Who can make the open mid-range shot.

I have to disagree....

If Louis Williams is available at 31 and we pick Bogut 1st, we should take Williams with that pick no question about it. Paul, Jack, Felton, Deron will be gone by then and he would be the only guard with the most upside left on the board then.

Trust me Louis Williams (Allen Iverson like) will be a star in the NBA...mark my words!!

His situation is kind of like Josh Smith before the draft, where he was ranked in the top 5 players in the draft early on and his stock just dropped. Louis Williams is the same way. He was in the Top 10 early on and his stock has dropped after the All-Star games. This is exactly what happened to Josh Smith and we got him at 17 and look what a jewel we have in Josh Smith.

Also, he is a local kid (like Josh Smith and a good friend of Josh Smith). And like Josh Smith he will bring out even more locals to the game especially in Gwinnett County. So economically it makes sense to draft him, not to mention the kid is very talented.

His situation is similar to J. Smooth last year and I say he is a steal at 31.