• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Teams looking to trade out of the first round

Final_quest

Can anyone think of a few teams that want to trade their 1st rounder because they want space for the cap? Similar to what Phoenix did last year.

Wonder if we couldn't trade either a protected future first, the Laker first, or a 2nd rounder and filler to grab someones pick. Cleveland and Golden State need room to resign players, who else?

The other way to get a pick would be to trade Al, but I'm not sure if he could fetch even a mid first rounder.

Don't look at what Jamison has done since the trade. You have to look at the two players at the time of the trade. What is Al's value now compared to Jamison's value last year at the draft. I think it's similar. If you factor in his much more agreeable contract, Al is equivalent to a Jamison of last year.

If Washington knew just how good Jamison would be for them, they would've given up more. Similarly, if Boston knew Walker would make them the third best team in the conference, they might've given us Jefferson. Trades are not made on hindsight, though.

actually, that may help us

al summer 05 is considered on par with jamison circa spring 04...so a team may see that jamison trade that got washington into the playoffs (maybe 2nd+ round?!?) and they may bite...

i can also see toronto (run by babcock), biting...they have two firsts and babcocks always think they are one piece away...if not toronto, then some GM will think they are one 17/7 player away from competing...

We like Al, but we don't really think we should keep him because we have Smoove, who's a 3/4, and Chill, who's a 2/3. We think they will be starters for a long time.

Al is a 3/4 tweener who is a fair player (definitely a 3rd option if you have 2 stars), but he's going to command star salary after next season. Why should we keep him, given that we have the aforementioned players manning the same position(s) that he plays?

We also might be able to get a point guard AND a center out of the same draft if we trade Al. Bogut and Felton/Jack would be great, in my opinion. It is not that I think Felton or Jack could come in and score 17 ppg. Rather, they are both more cost effective players for us who play positions that we need.

• Moderators

Like it or not but Al is not at the same level as Jamison. Jamison was a high lottery pick and starter for his career when he was traded to Dallas. He then spent one season being an outstanding player off the bench for Dallas but everyone could see the Mavericks had too many forwards and needed to trade some redundant part. Jamison's pedigree was better than someone who was a slow-bloomer like Al and who started for only one team in his career who now wanted to trade him after only one season.

I don't think they are worlds apart or anything in value (particularly in light of salary) but Al has not had the success in his career through 2005 that Jamison had through 2004 and I don't think his overall value is as high as Jamison's was.

• Moderators

I agree Harrington should fetch a pick in the late lottery or early teens. It is still a product of finding needs, though. Washington desperately needed someone in the frontcourt. We should easily find a match in a slot to get Jack but Felton would be tougher (based on projected draft status).