How about this team....

Diesel

I don't like that team at all. No way I trade Al for just Jason Williams - there is a reason he sits in the 4th quarter. Also, Marvin Williams is the same player as Al, so might as well keep Al and draft a good point guard. Kwame is soft so the Hawks interior defense will still be weak.

But I like Chill and Smoove in the starting lineup!

• Premium Member

True...

We would be in position to acquire more talent.

However, this is bourne out of what I consider reasonable, possible deals.

for instnace, I don't think it's possible for us to get Chandler or even Curry.

I do think it's possible that we can get Kwame here.

I do think it's possible for us to get J-Will in trade for Al.

If we get that, then there's no need to get Williams or Paul in the draft.

I do think it's possible that BK might draft M. Williams. Depending on his workouts, he might be the best talent in the draft (potential wise) and because he is a BK type player, I don't see us passing on him easily.

I do think it's possible for us to get Swift. BK scouted and drafted him.

As far as Kwame at C, why not? He's 7'0 250. That's Center size if you ask me. Deke was 7'2 262. Swift and Theo has played C at 235.

• Premium Member

No.

I have to disagree with your here.

Even though Williams is not high on my list of players to get, I think he's far different from Al. Also, I think it may be possible to get Jason Williams/#19 for Al/Diaw. That's a trade I would do all day.

I think they are similar physically - same size, similar athleticism. As far as their skill set, Al has the better inside game. Marvin appears to have the potential to be the better perimeter player. He is like Luol Deng, good at many things, not great at anything. Now, obviously that translates into a good player but since the Hawks already have some well-rounded wing men in Chill and Smoove I would rather focus on a position of need - center or point.

• Admin

Deke had an unmatched intensity and desire. Kwame has the intensity and desire of a duct-taped gerbil...

As i've stated many times before. I believe in people, ALL people, earning their way. Kwame hasn't earned his way, which, IMO is part of his problem. He's been given opportunities and didn't make anything out of them. I think it's time he earn something.

I have no problems with us getting him on the cheap (5m over 2 years w/ 3rd team option). But he certainly doesn't deserve to be penciled in as the starter until he proves that he's up for it and beats out the competition for the spot.

Personally I would rather have Paul or Williams over J-will. I think both of those guys are going to be better traditional PG's than J-will is.

kwame quit on his team in the playoffs. do you guys really want him starting on the hawks? i agree with chillz, if you go after him give him a cheap 2-3 year deal. he hasnt proven anything. only #1 pick worse than him in recent years is the Kandi-Girl.

wouldnt take J-Will either. i think you guys should go after PG that can shoot and is steady. Williams is a streaky shooter and the opposite of steady. with the wings the hawks having not being the best shooter, a shooting point is a must.

I don't like it too much, but for once you've put together a plan that actually could happen if things went our way. This wouldn't be ideal for me, but I could live with it. We still wouldn't have a starting center, but no matter what we probably can't get a starting center and point guard this year.

• Premium Member

Nobody said that Kwame was a permanent fix. Even you said for a reasonable contract you would give him a try..

What's up now?

You just can't keep flip flopping Mr. Kerry!

Quote:

But he certainly doesn't deserve to be penciled in as the starter until he proves that he's up for it and beats out the competition for the spot.

As with any lineup, this is a projected one. Nothing is set in stone... Not J-Smoove, J-Chill or M. Williams. But according to talent and potential this is how I see it.

It could just as easily be Swift starting..

I just put out a realistic view of what this offseason could bring based on who would probably come here and who fits our GM's plan.

I agree, that's a pretty realistic team for next year. I dont think we'd keep Googs though, more likely we'd sign another center/PF, Diop would be a good choice. I think that team would win 25 or so games max. I think the same team but without the Harrington for JWill deal would be better, but just with too many 3/4's. We could pick up McGinnis, etc to play the point and still deal Harrington at the deadline if Williams and Smoove were coming on strong. Really, if we are somewhat forced to draft Marvin due to position, potential, etc and cant make a move then we'll still be a lot of moves from being a good team.

• Admin

no flip flopping here. I don't like the kid and have never hidden that fact. But I have maintained that I would sign him here for a reasonable offer. Even I recognize his, dear god I will say it, "potential".

My problem with that projected lineup, and as you said it IS projected. It just seems like we're settling when we could do so much better. Some may disagree, but I see a C rotation of Drobs and Kwame as... settling for less, MUCH less. Especially when we could have, yes here it comes...Bogut.

If Al would get us J-will, why not draft Bogut and skip the pansy center game all together? I know you don't think highly of him. But I don't think you or anyone can argue that he alone is an upgrade over what Kwame and Drobs will give us combined.

J-will/Chillz/SF/Smoove/Bogut

We pick up a solid SF via FA or draft, which is very doable and we're set. Heck, even Diaw could play the position if he would just learn to shoot the ball more. To me that is a much much more solid lineup with a lot more potential. Everyone talks about emulating Phoenix adn that's EXACTLY what this lineup could do. High scoring, fast breaking, quick passing, fun to watch team.

I know you want a defensive team. But I don't see any one player, or even two, that's available to us that will make us a good enough team defensively for it to pay off. We're better off going for high scoring and fun to watch. That brings in the fans and gets us some media attention. Then, once we have that base, we slowly tweak it to improve our defense and bring our opponent PPG down to a level of parity. Also, keep in mind, we don't know just how good Chillz or Smoove will end up becoming defensively. They could both turn out to be stoppers. They certainly have the athletic ability. If that happened, we would be a very good defensive team.

• Premium Member

I want a defensive team iS right.

But also, I want a player at the first overall who has the ability to be a star or ...I'm about to say it... A superstar at this level.. Bogut is not that. I think Bogut will be a steady Center who is good offensively and poor defensively. That's not what I would want with a top pick. I am more prone to take either: The Star potential/Floor Generalship of DWilliams/Paul OR the SuperStar potential of M. Williams. If we get J-Will in trade for Al, then in my mind, it sets the table for us to take the gamble on M. Williams.

With all the free agent Centers that will be available this year and NExT, I think we can take the risk.

I think most are willing to say that we got that player (definite star potential, possibility at superstar) in JSmoove...and are thereby 'willing' to 'accept' the more sure thing...a solid bigman.

Not to be underestimated, they definitely have their worth...but few are superstars...BUT...with Jsmoove, and a hopefully consistent borderline allstar player (like Marion) in JChill...

most are willing to accept the safe bet, be it at the number 4 or number 1. If Smoove weren't here...people would be wanting Williams. But he is...and most don't want to have to 'put that burden' on two players, or be willing to 'hope' for two superstars...

that's the problem you're running into D.

• Premium Member

You don’t go into the top of the lottery, in ANY given year hoping to come away with a Brad or Andre Miller. You don’t say, well…we got star potential, so let’s not think about adding anymore. Let’s just go after “solid” potential. That’s the kind of thinking you do with a 7 – 13 pick. With a top 3 or 4 pick, you have to go in thinking to come away with a cornerstone…a franchise maker.

You go into the top of the draft looking for…

LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Yao Ming, Vince Carter, Tim Duncan, Allen Iverson, Stephon Marbury, Ray Allen, Antonio McDyess, Rasheed Wallace, Kevin Garnett, Jason Kidd, Grant Hill, Chris Webber, Anfernee Hardaway, Jamal Mashburn, Shaquille O'Neal, Alonzo Mourning, Kenny Anderson, Dikembe Mutombo, Steve Smith, Gary Payton, Glen Rice, Rik Smits, Mitch Richmond, David Robinson, Scottie Pippen, Patrick Ewing, Hakeem Olajuwon, Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley, James Worthy, Dominique Wilkins, Isiah Thomas, Kevin McHale, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird

Yes, some of these guys are legends and some of them represent the tip top. But you draw the line underneath a Marbury or Elton Brand and say, this is the floor of the player that I want with a top 4 pick.

You don’t just settle for “solid.” Not with a top pick. Regardless of how much talent you already have. Again, maybe y’know Utah, Minnesota, or even Cleveland can go in with that mindset…but even then it’s selling yourself short. Imagine if Detroit had taken Carmelo or Wade instead of a big man with “solid” potential.

All that being said…

There is NO WAY that Billy Knight is going into this draft, with a guaranteed top 4 pick, looking for a solid contributor, for this miserable franchise that is DESPERATELY seeking stars.

Not a chance in hell.

• Admin

For me his analysis of Bogut has been so far off from what the "experts" have put out there, that it seems unrealistic and almost staged. He consistantly calls him a "poor defender". But I've not read one analysis that agrees with. The closest thing to it is the "questionable lateral quickness". But anyone who knows anything about basketball knows that lateral quickness is NOT the only key to being a good defender, not even close. Most of the expert analysis considers him a solid defender who lacks lateral quickness. So at best he's an average defender. Which still makes him a better defender than 70% of the centers in the league. That's a far far cry from being a poor defender.

I was just listening to 2liveStews on 790thezone and they had this Jeff guy on there, some NBA/Bball analyst from somewhere. they were specifically talking about the Hawks and the draft. They all basically agreed that the Hawks should take Bogut with the #1, if they get it. This Jeff guy went on to say "this draft is loaded". He didn't mean that it's loaded with superstars. But he meant that there isn't a huge gap talent-wise from 14-40 and that all of those players are very good players that can/should be impact players. He felt that we can meet our needs at PG with one of these late picks which makes taking Bogut an easy decision if we get the #1.

I basically take that to mean, why spend a #1 pick on a PG when we could get one that is nearly as good later and that we should use that pick to get the rare commodity (center).

He also went on to talk about some realistic possibilities like moving Al for a pick to take Jarret Jack. One of teh stews suggested Felton. But he didn't think that was realistic.

As a side note, he mentioned that the consensus top 4 is Bogut, Paul, M.Williams and D. Williams. Not in that order. But his point was, at worst we get #4 and we're gonna take one of those guys. Which is a good thing regardless. Which I agree with.