• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Should I just be resigned that we're keeping AL?

Diesel

• Premium Member

It makes no sense, especially if we don't intend to pay him 9- 10 million per... But one intangible is that Al is BK's boy.

BK might make a deal with AL.. starting at 8, because let's face it, nobody else will pay much more for Al and he will be bench fodder if they do.

Al's role will probably be one of a transitional leader. However, I think that having AL will stop us from ever getting a real PF...

If we draft Bogut and overpay Allen (may 6 yr 84 million) then that means that our lineup will look something like this:

Bogut/Al/Josh/Allen/Lue.

Can that team win?

• Admin

I think we'll start hearing a lot more rumors as to BK's plans. Especially if we get the #1. IF that happens, expect th e Hawks to pretty much dominate all non-playoff news from now till the start of the season.

As to that lineup. I think they could win, in the east. I'm not sure Lue would be the PG though. I still think we can get a solid PG with our late pick too. Lue is solid backup material. But not a season long starter, IMO.

If we get the #1 and the players continue to shake out as is, BK will have to take Bogut. The media would bury him otherwise. Which may force his hand to move Al in order to move up to select a more prominant PG. Again, lots of speculation. But fairly realistic possibilities.

• Premium Member

I don't think the media will bury BK for not taking Bogut. It's not as clear cut as some would have you all to believe. In fact, this is the first draft in a long time where there has been lots of speculation as to the top 5. People want to see Paul go to Charlotte and N.O. getting Williams. They suspect that Atlanta will just take a C. However, too many people jumped before the workouts. I recall many a workouts that set the draft. From Josh Smith's bad workouts with Phoenix and Charlotte to Podkolzine's workouts taking him out of the top 3 to the middle of the draft. And let's not forget Mihm in Orlando...

• Admin

yah I agree. But that's why I said if they shake down as they are right now. Meaning, if the workouts don't change anything and Bogut remains the consesus #1. If the workouts hit and one of the Williams blows up, I would full expect BK to take one fo thsoe guys. Though I think he might trade down if we get teh #1 and Marvin elevates himself to the top pick. Simply because we're so overstocked with wings that it doesn't make much sense to pick up another. Especially considering the progress Chillz showed and the mark Smooth has already made on the city.

If we go by the "Bk type guy" model. I just can't see him taking Paul. He's too short and too defensively limited to fit the type team BK has shown he wants to build.

That's the beauty of the workouts though. One of those guys that's kinda off the radar could come out and dominate everyone, changing the entire landscape of the draft.

Quote:

But one intangible is that Al is BK's boy.

based on what? I don't get that feeling at all. You need a veteran presence, a leader, and that was Al for the 2nd half of the year. But I don't think BK sees him as a long term part of the true core. I imagine he'll be traded, though I don't know what year. While I would love to get rid of him to draft a PG, you need a guy like Al here to have any hope whatsoever of signing a good FA. Nobody will come here to be only with 1st-2nd year players. I think that is why Al is still around

I heard on 790 last Saturday, according to Matt Chiernov, that the Hawks like Bogut and Williams over Paul. I think he said that they are high on Williams right now, but might not be able to take him because of our SF situation. He indicated that Paul was a distant third from his informants.

Definitely too early to tell if we're keeping Al or not.

• Premium Member

Quote:

based on what?

Namely.. BK scouting and drafted Al for the Pacer.

Everytime I hear BK talk about the future, he always mentions Al.

I understand some things you do because of courtesy and to not show your hand, but all of BK's people says Smith, Childress, and Harrington too...

I think BK has it in his mind that Al is the PF and that Smoove is a 3 and that Childress will be the 2 for the Hawks of the future.

• Premium Member

I wouldn't put too much stock into anything that somebody has "heard". BK doesn't let anything get out. I don't think all of his people know what BK will do until the very last moment.

I think similar to us here, you have a lot of guys that just speculate on what the Hawks are going to do... Those who are so-called reporters should be ashamed of that... because they suppose to draw from facts, not speculation.

Believe me I'm taking it with a grain of salt, but doesn't BK have to talk to somebody about his plans. BK can't talk to the FO and ownership like he does the media. So he is not the only person who knows what the plan is.

We will never know for sure until draft day.

• Premium Member

I think the only person BK talks to are the owners... And that is right before he does something (according to what was said by them).. I mean, they are in contact every week, but I think BK doesn't let them in on the plan until he has every cog going in the same direction.

Ditto....Al is staying. Everybody and their momma have Al traded on this forum.

I personally don't think BK is going to trade Al and I think he is going to offer him a contract to stay with the Hawks........and I would agree with this move. Al is our best player right now, why in the world would you get rid of your best player for pennies and unproven talent???

BK knows what he is doing.

I agree that Al is likely to remain, but he has some trade value. I think we will begin the year with him, but he may be unloaded at the trade deadline to contender. We may have three #1 draft picks neaxt year. We need talent at every positon right now, except small forward.

I've been saying that for a while.

When Coach Brown was asked about the team recently, he specifically mentioned getting someone that can shoot from the perimeter who can compliment Harrington's inside scoring. I believe Harrington will get an extension before October.

Quote:

I think BK has it in his mind that Al is the PF and that Smoove is a 3 and that Childress will be the 2 for the Hawks of the future.

If that's the case the Hawks will continue to lose

for someone.

1.I don't think Childress is a good enough or quick

enough defensive player to guard top notch SG's.

2,You want your PF to be able to rebound... That is

something Al isn't very good at. You got to have a

bigman that can rebound and Al isn't good at that

and it's so hard to find centers that do rebound.

Hawks have already went with an undersized average

rebounding PF's in the past and it's never lead to

anything of importance.

REBOUNDING AND SHOTBLOCKING. The listed lineup doesn't

give enough of it.