Atlanta signs Kwame Brown

Atlanta signs Earl Boykins

Atlanta Re-signs Obbina Ekezie

Williams/Boykins/Ivey

Chill/Diaw/Garcia/Smith

Smoove/Garcia/Smith

Chandler/Brown/Roberts

Dalembert/Petro/Brown/Ekezie

I like the young players, but who's going to score and where's the leadership? Even young teams like Chicago have vet leadership. Who's our go to guy? Who scores points in the clutch? Who can we rely on for baskets down the stretch?

I think it is essential to get veteran experiance on the roster not just for teaching the young guys how to act properly but also to contribute to the team.

• Premium Member

Other than my disdain for Europlayers...

Isn't this the guy that got SMASHED by Biedrins and Darko?

I'd have to check...

But I don't know if there is anything special about Petro other than he's tall...

I don't get why Chicago would sign & trade Chandler to us. If they sign Chandler, they're going to keep him. Especially with Curry's uncertain future due to his medical condition. Chicago also drafted a similar player to Harrington in Luol Deng last year. They would be left with a center who don't play defense and two SF/PF tweeners that would compete for playing time.

• Premium Member

NBA.COM summary of Biedrins..

Quote:

EUROPEAN CAREER: Has played professionally for Skonto Riga in the Latvian Basketball League for each of the last two seasons, averaging 9.1 points, 6.4 rebounds and 1.54 blocks in 69 contests, while shooting 61.1% from the field...Competed in the 2004 Under-18 European Championship, averaging 21.8 points, 14.4 rebounds, 4.4 blocks and 3.8 steals...
Tallied 21 points and 16 rebounds against France, matching-up against highly regarded French prospect Johan Petro

• Premium Member

First, this "lets look up one or two bad games to rule out a player" surely isn't how NBA scouts make their money. They look at build, athleticism, makeup, potential, etc.

Anyway, from draftcity:

Quote:

Played Andris Biedrins, in a much publicized international youth game where it was reported that he got killed. Statistically, he did.
Having seen this game, what I can say is that Petro guarded Biedrins straight up while Latvia double and triple teamed Petro.
Biedrins was on that night and got Petro into foul trouble en-route to 21 pts on
6/18
shooting and 9/19 from the line. Petro had 8 pts and 5 rebounds in 21 minutes, but what was most impressive was the way he found his teammates for 4 assists as they got open. It wasn’t really the disaster the press reported it as such.

If Knight likes Petro, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him picked at #13. (If, of course, the Hawks acquire #13).

Also, Biedrins looks like a decent pick for the Warriors. His having a better game than Petro isn't a shock...

Quote:

I like the young players, but who's going to score and where's the leadership? Even young teams like Chicago have vet leadership. Who's our go to guy? Who scores points in the clutch? Who can we rely on for baskets down the stretch?

I think it is essential to get veteran experiance on the roster not just for teaching the young guys how to act properly but also to contribute to the team.

Chicago had no idea that Ben Gordon would be there go to guy this year untill the middle of the season. I think we will be able to find our version of Ben Gordon somewhere on our team. Darren Williams? Francisco Garcia? maybe.

• Premium Member

IF he guarded Biedrins straight up... Why did Biedrins get 21/16 in 34 minutes of work...

Telling me how the other team played defense against him does not excuse how he played defense against Biedrins.

The other thing is that we don't know a lot about Petro.. BUT... That's one thing I don't like about a lot of these international players... Don't get me wrong, I watch international ball on NBA.com when I see it.. And the game is just not the same as it is here.

Petro can be the hardest C in Europe... He would still be SOFT by NBA standards.

• Premium Member

Six for Eighteen. He didn't school Petro, he just got him into foul trouble. (Which would also imply that Petro didn't guard Biedrins the whole time, either).

It's certainly not enough reason to avoid Petro.

And, again, Biedrins looks pretty good...

I guess I'm just more of the strategy of keeping quality veteran players to go along with the youngsters. There was only one Ben Gordon last year and only one Dwayne Wade the year before. Without a clutch player we certainly are lotto bound so we better make sure we get the right one if we are to rely on a youngster. I believe we should go after a Ray Allen and/or keep Al Harrrington.

Thankyou....I have absolutely no idea why people on this forum continue think we are going to get Chandler. CHICAGO IS NOT LETTING CHANDLER GO!!! Stop putting him in your fantasy trades!!

Secondly, people need to stop putting Dally in their fantasy trades too. He isn't going anywhere!!!

The only big man options the Hawks have is Kwame, Curry and Swift. That is about it people.

Quote:

Thankyou....I have absolutely no idea why people on this forum continue think we are going to get Chandler. CHICAGO IS NOT LETTING CHANDLER GO!!! Stop putting him in your fantasy trades!!

Secondly, people need to stop putting Dally in their fantasy trades too. He isn't going anywhere!!!

The only big man options the Hawks have is Kwame, Curry and Swift. That is about it people.

Why? We have THE MOST CAP ROOM IN THE LEAGUE!!! There is np just thing as a RFA to BK right now. We have the money to make offers that CHI and PHI can't afford to match.

First of all you need more than just cap room, as you saw last year with Dalambert and Martin. Players have to want to come to Atlanta. Unfortunately, having the worst record in the league doesn't help that cause.

Secondly, Chicago's success was largely do from Chandler's play. They would be taking 12 steps back if they lose Chandler....they will match whatever any team throws at him.

Thirdly, Philly doesn't have any centers either other than Dalambert and Mo isn't going to lose his center. Centers are too hard to come by and there aren't many good ones. Teams will hold on to their good big men....period!!

Word to the wise...Get those two names out of your vocabulary because it ain't happening!!!

Quote:

Other than my disdain for Europlayers...

Isn't this the guy that got SMASHED by Biedrins and Darko?

I'd have to check...

But I don't know if there is anything special about Petro other than he's tall...

Same ol Diesel, if you aint one of his U.S. boys and have one bad game your career is toast. Does not matter what the experts think ...

Guess when Bogut makes the all star team in three to four years maybe he will change his tune. Until then, same channel and same ol news.