• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Majerus says Williams is the best in the draft.

KB21

I think we need to keep an eye on Deron Williams. IMO, if we go any direction other than Marvin Williams with this pick, it will be Deron Williams, IMO.

My projection at this time. The Hawks will select Williams. wink.gif

• Premium Member

It is pure bullshit when anybody is compared to KG. I think the closest in this draft is Villanueva and he doesn't have the drive.

KG is a freak. He's long everywhere. He can dribble. He's wirey strong. He's got a good BBIQ.. Just a freak.

M-Williams is not a package like KG. In fact, he's not even long.

I would say that the closest comparison that I have heard about M-Will was that he was like Worthy...

The only thing is that I don't think that there will ever be another player with a first step like Worthy... Worthy's first step was the stuff. Once he took it, he was already passed the defender. Nobody attack the goal as easily as worthy did it and that includes Jordan. If M-Will has that kind of face to the basket game, he'd be a good guy to have.

what would we do with Al/Smoove and the rest of the log jam?

You would bring Williams off the bench for the first season and sort things out later.

The whole point of drafting Marvin Williams would be to get the most talented player in the draft. When you are as bad as the Hawks are, you can't go into the draft saying that we need this position or we need that position. That's the easiest way to pass on a potentially great player.

As Sekou Smith said, we will not have a glut of forwards if we draft Marvin Williams. Josh Childress plays SHOOTING GUARD, not small forward, and the only way he is moved from shooting guard is if the Hawks can sign Ray Allen.

Marvin Williams is the epitomy of the type of player Billy Knight loves. He's 6'9" to 6'10" tall with a 7 footer's wingspan. He's the most athletic player in this draft, and he is versatile enough to play in the post and on the perimeter. He's not a tweener. He's a 3/4 combo guy much in the same way Mashburn was a 3/4 combo player. I even saw where someone stated that putting Smith and Williams together would be like putting Wilkins and Mashburn together in their primes.

If Milwaukee passes on Williams and Billy has him rated higher than anyone else in the draft, then Marvin will be a Hawk on draft day.

• Premium Member

I don't mind M-Will as long as we can get a trade or 2 to get other talent. The way I see it, we should get as much talent in this draft and next year we should be at a level where we are trying to get that 1 player that completes us...

So..

If we decided that we would get M-Wil and that he's the best player in the draft...

I would trade Al/Drob/1st (boston) for NY's first/Penny.

I would trade Diaw/#31 for #20...

That's three first round picks...

With the money we have in FAcy, we can get somebody!

A potential team:

Felton**/Lue/Ivy

Childress/Penny

M-Williams*/D. Smith

Smoove/Kwame/Googs

Morris***/Gadzuric

This is a realistic view of what we could have. I have the draft picks starting but it could easily be another.. Way..

The point is that from the draft we pick good potential...

what if williams outplays josh smith? Do you keep smith in the starting lineup? If you sit Smith for Williams what does that do to josh smith's confidence? And what happens to danta in all this? Do we give up on him? I think it's a bad idea to have too many young guys playing the same positions regardless of talent.

also, I don't think Josh smith at power forward is very realistic anytime soon.

The thing is, we aren't going to turn this thing around in one year. This is a process that will take some time. If we can't make a deal to get an earlier pick to take someone like Jarrett Jack, then the Hawks will just wait to next season.

They already have two draft picks for 2006, and if they take Marvin Williams, Al Harrington could possibly go to a team around the trade deadline for another first round pick. That would give the Hawks three first round picks next year, which could give the Hawks a great chance at Mardy Collins or Ronnie Brewer, two 6'6" or taller point guards.

I also don't think it would be a bad pick to take Louis Williams with the 31st pick. His potential is filthy, if he learns to be a point guard. Now, that is a big if, but that is a lot of potential you would pass on due to a big if.

Donta plays shooting guard.

In 1984, the Portland Trailblazers passed on a shooting guard because they already had Clyde Drexler and took the more needed position of center. They ended up taking Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan.

Too bad the Hawks cannot wait for Jordan Farmar to become available. I am a big UCLA fan and I really believe he is going to be a very good point guard in the NBA. He will be the type to elevate his teammates. he is very strong going to the basket, has a nice outside stroke, solid defender and makes some amazing passes. He has the potential to be one of the better NBA point guard in my opinion.

"Donta plays shooting guard." He's about as much of a shooting gaurd as josh smith. The two joshes and donta are just as interchangable at 2-3 as harrington and Williams will be at 3-4. Which sounds great until you realize they're all young and we still have no point gaurd or center.

And the bowie/jordan thing is weak unless your comparing Marvin to Jordan or somebody else to Bowie. Tons of other teams have drafted for need and had great success.

• Premium Member

Quote:

n 1984, the Portland Trailblazers passed on a shooting guard because they already had Clyde Drexler and took the more needed position of center. They ended up taking Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan.

If you put 100 GMs in the position that Portland was in, i guarantee you that 92 of them would have done the same thing. Bowie was a good player coming out of college. His only problem was injury. He was the Marcus Camby of his time. However, it was hard for a GM to know that. Jordan was not the Jordan that we know. This is evident by the fact that Krause tried to trade Jordan to Atlanta for Tree Rollins and the Hawks declined... Jordan was a SG with no range on his shooting. He was like a healthy Dion Glover coming out of UNC. Tell me, if you had Clyde Drexler.. Would you take Dion Glover over Marcus Camby?

you do know this perhaps the worst 'analogy' in sports history? it proves one thing, and one thing only: hindsight is twenty twenty.

have you EVER read what Bowie did his rookie year? how good he was? he didn't just pull a Koncak and fade out...dude could play.

KB, I think you and I are on the same page. This is going to be a two year process, not an overnight process. I say keep the pick and draft Marvin Williams with the 2nd pick. I also say pick Louis Williams with the 31st pick. Louis is an Allen Iverson clone re-encarnated. See how the chips fall with all of our forwards and make a trade based on performance to pick up a 1st round pick in 2006. That may be Al or it may not.

We should have 3 1st round picks in 2006 and Baby Shack (Ogden??) will be a Senior an eligible for the draft. Make sure we get him and get talent with the other picks or package the picks and get him.

At this point we should be very talented, experienced and ready to compete for big change!!