• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If we draft Marvin, Is Harrington gone?

tmac13

It seems now a given that Marvin and Bogut will go 1-2 in the draft..If Marvin goes to us how are we going to get developement time for all the 6'8"/6'9" guys we have? Chillz has to play, Smoove has to play, Marvin will need to play, Harrington will not wanna go backwards to the 6th man role in his contract year. How will BK and Woody pull this off without setting back our young guys or offending Harrington if we don't trade him?

How does drafting Marvin affect Josh Childress's playing time?

If Marvin is drafted, he will part of a three man rotation at the forward spots up until it is time to make a decision on Al Harrington. I like Al, but he's not good enough to make the Hawks pass on the player that may be the best player in the draft.

Chillz logged alot of minutes at the 3 last season when we went with the Lue/Delk backcourt..Then there is the chance we will go after a free agent 2 that can shoot. Then there is the fact that Chillz is a natural 3..

Childress played most of his minutes as a shooting guard and is seen by Billy Knight as a shooting guard. Drafting Marvin Williams will have no effect on this.

Looking at a stats breakdown, I found that that the Hawks won 55% of the games that Josh Smith played time at the power forward position in, and they had positive point differential in those games as well.

I definitely think it means Harrington is not part of our future core. When you get down to it, we'd really have six SF's then when you remember Donta and Diaw. None of our core would a true PF so we'd actually still need a backup banger PF and a backup SG to play with them to cover the three swing positions. However, it would not be urgent that be dumped Harrington as soon as we drafted Marvin. With all our salary cap, it woulndt even hurt if we signed him to a long term deal and then dealt him in a year or two even. It would somewhat cut our youngs PT but it could be beneficial in that we wouldnt just be throwing them out there with no leadership.

However, my guess would be that if we draft Marvin, Harrington would probably be traded that same day for a pick or a just drafted player that we want.

Drafting Williams obviously means Harrington will be gone. It could be a draft trade or it could be a deadline deal but there's no way he can be part of the future plans with the money he could command in free agency. Why would the hawks take up precious cap room on him with all their other needs?

I look at this situation a little differently than you guys and I think BK is looking at it differently too. The thing with Al is that people tend to forget, he is very young too and he is still developing his game. He will be much better this year than last year which wasn't bad.

The solution: You keep them all. Think about it for a minute, you need 2 SG, 2 SF and 2 PF. What do we have?

SG: Chillz, ??

SF: Smoove, Marvin Williams

PF: Al Harrington, Smoove

We don't have 2 SG. Next year Smoove will start with Williams backing him up. Al will start at PF will Smoove backing him up. When Al is out it will be Williams and Smoove at the Forward positions. Not to mention you have to take in account THERE WILL BE INJURIES. No team can avoid them.

I think you keep them all and play them all. I don't think it is as much of a log jam as most people make it out to be.