• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Draft Day Trades

thrasherdog21

• Premium Member

In this draft, I believe that you have to pay attention to the tiers of talent.

talentwise, the first ten are equal...

However, we judge on more than just right now talent. When you consider potential and specialization,

the first 4 stand above everybody else. That four would be: Williams, Bogut, Paul, Williams,

Then you have the next 7 or so.. Those guys are a mixed bag of Unknown potential + talent. This is the group that changes suddenly. From Felton to May to Villanueva to Spitter. Guys from 12-34... will probably be a third tier... I think this draft is deep because you can find talented guys all the way into the 2nd round. Even Late... But the farther you go, the more problems you find in their game.

For instance, by the time you get into the second round, you have guys like Brandon Bass who is an awesome talent but maybe too short for his talent to translate in the NBA.

But mainly, I say that trading down for 2 lower tier guys with a 13 pick does give us more players from this draft, but the quality of the players are less too.

I would rather try to take our 31 pick or an existing player or BOTH and MOVE up in the late first than to use #13 or #5 to move down.

Seriously! Can we stop trying to get mass quantities of mediocre players???

I would ONLY do 2 for 5 and 13 if BK knows he wants Green or Williams and that player is drafted by the #5 team. I would make the deal contingent upon particular players being there when Charlotte drafted. So, if they draft Deron and May, and we draft Williams, I might be willing to make the swap of those players on draft day. However, I am completely AGAINST simply and mindlessly acquiring 4 first round draft picks to waste on players who have lots of question marks.

Sure, I'd like to get Wayne Simien, Jarrett Jack, Ike Diogu, Francisco Garcia, etc....but you can't put all those players on the same team and expect them to produce. Maybe one or two of those guys will be at least a sixth man, but it takes great skill and research to select that player. With so many low first round choices, you're going to be picking someone you're not crazy about just because you have to use the pick.

I am for sticking at #2 and drafting EITHER Bogut or Marvin Williams in that order because these are potential franchise players.

• Moderators

Quote:

Seriously! Can we stop trying to get mass quantities of mediocre players???

I would ONLY do 2 for 5 and 13 if BK knows he wants Green or Williams and that player is drafted by the #5 team. I would make the deal contingent upon particular players being there when Charlotte drafted. So, if they draft Deron and May, and we draft Williams, I might be willing to make the swap of those players on draft day. However, I am completely AGAINST simply and mindlessly acquiring 4 first round draft picks to waste on players who have lots of question marks.

Sure, I'd like to get Wayne Simien, Jarrett Jack, Ike Diogu, Francisco Garcia, etc....but you can't put all those players on the same team and expect them to produce. Maybe one or two of those guys will be at least a sixth man, but it takes great skill and research to select that player. With so many low first round choices, you're going to be picking someone you're not crazy about just because you have to use the pick.

I am for sticking at #2 and drafting EITHER Bogut or Marvin Williams in that order because these are potential franchise players.

I agree with every word of this.

I agree completely. We ought to stop talking about trading the 2 pick. We need a franchise player. That is why Charlotte is trying to trade up. They are not much better off than us. They know that Marvin or Bogut will be much better than two players from the next tier or two down.

We didn't suffer through last season just to help Charlotte get their next Okafor. - I'll be very disappointed if BK caves and trades the pick. We'll be back to the same old Hawks.

Keep the pick, get Marvin (or Bogut). Work on a trade of the 2006 LA pick, Al, Diaw, etc to get another pick to get a point guard. Use the FA to get the mediocre players to fill the bench. Try Kwame. - But don't trade the pick.

I'm whining again, Yeti

if bogut is gone you guys should trade the pick. or pick marv williams and trade josh smith (which i know many of you hawks fans dont want to do) Williams is a 3, smith is a 3. smith may (slight chance) develop his body into a 4, but realistically, they play the same position. trading down with Charlotte, or NO, to get rid of Al harrington and/or pick up players and picks would be better than having two young players who play the same position. their development would be hurt. i already said that if bogut is gone, hawks should trade down to get magloire and NO pick for harrington/#2 or getting #5 and #13 from charlotte. either way PG falls into your lap.