• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Should we trade down???

CBAreject

If we don't keep this pick, we are going to end like we have been in the past, a team with no true #1 goto option. How many times in the past have we said about our best player (Al, SAR, etc.), "He would make a good 3rd option on a championship team"? I want to see us get someone who at least has the potential to be that #1 stud.

i wanna draft 1 or 2

i'd pay to move up to get bogut, but if we are 2 and they draft bogut, i take marvin

marvin could live up to the hype and be "worthy with a jump shot"...if nothing else, we could use his shooting on this team...and i'm not sure of al's future here anyway, so marvin/smoove could make a great forward combo in the future

however, if we get marvin, it means that chill is sg and al is gone (maybe not this season, but in the future)...

i'd be thrilled if we could get ukic or jack as our pg along with bogut/marvin

I am really torn on the idea of trading down. I think if the Bucks draft Marvin first then the resolution is easy - draft Bogut as he fills one of the teams biggest needs.

If the Bucks take Bogut, I would strongly consider trading down because I think the Hawks desperately need either a topflight center or topflight point guard from this draft. So trading down to 5th and 13th with Bogut off the board makes a lot of sense. At the same time, there is the fear that Marvin becomes a superstar and the Hawks regret trading his rights away. I am not really as sold on Marvin as others as to me he does not seem like a LeBron, but who knows.

I agree with you completely !!! I was beginning to think that I was the only one tired of us trading our future for guaranteed mediocrity. (Remember there is a reason that Charlotte is willing to make that deal. They are not stupid - look at how they did last year.)

Most of the Great players were intelligent and had character - well as superior skills. (Magic, Dr. J, MJ, Bird, etc.) They not only played great but motivated everyone around them. For that reason, I am not a fan of Chris Paul. I see him as a potential problem that could drag the other young guys down. (example - Missing a tournament championship because he took a cheap shot hitting Hodges in the groin.) On the other hand, I've heard nothing but good things about Marvin's character and work ethic.

We DO need help at PG and C, but there are other options like trading a pick from next year, trading Diaw or Al (but I do like both of them), FA, some of the European players. There were also some writeups from Portsmouth about some guys who may not get drafted (like Conroy) who deserve a chance. (http://www.draftcity.com/viewarticle.php?a=153)

Let's keep the 2 and get Bogut or Marvin and go from there.

Yeti

Yeah I figure with a top 2 we'll improve next year but still get a top 5 pick or so next year, and then really start trying to win the next year.

Even with a perfect offseason, there's no way we'll make the playoffs next year. Let's put the best core we can together and be patient

the way i see it, we have several options at pg for next season that don't involve losing the #2 pick

a) trade up to get ukic/jack (or even felton if al gets us a top 10 pick)

b) trade for jwill/19

c) sign jaskivecus or jwill (not white chocolate) or jaric or watson

d) draft louis williams/gilchrist/etc at #31 and they end up doing great (duhon went in the 30s and is a decent starter now)

if all else fails, we go with lue/ivey/diaw at pg for one more year and get the pg next year

i'd love if we went all-foreign at pg/c...bogut/andersen at center, ukic/jaskivecus at pg cool.gif

he played alright, not great

the offense didn't flow as well through him...it went lue->al->lue->chill->lue->smoove, etc

and he's not the best on defense

however, he's a fine backup, but i'd rather have a better pg and pgs that are a part of our future championship team

but if we can't get anyone else, then sure, sign him for a year or two

Exactly....There are only a handfull of people on this forum truly want to trade down. You will notice two things.

1. 99.3% of all these trade proposal will never happen. This forum has turned into an entertainment fantasy discussions of trades forum. Real information gets scattered here and there, but most of these pages are full of "Trade 3 pennies and Collier for Shaq" nonsense.

2. Anyone who don't think we should keep this pick is in in the minority. I don't think BK is trading this pick. It would be dumb not to take one of the two studs in this years draft, especially when you are going to get another 1st round talent at 31 anyway.

I think there is a rationale basis to consider a trade down. When dealing with prospects nothing is absolute so there is no guarantee that either Marvin or Bogut become stars. Similarly there is no reason to believe Paul or Deron won't be hall of famers.

Quote:

"I think there is a rationale basis to consider a trade down. When dealing with prospects nothing is absolute so there is no guarantee that either Marvin or Bogut become stars. Similarly there is no reason to believe Paul or Deron won't be hall of famers."

I think this is slanted and nonsensical. You want to trade down so you say on the one hand that there is no guarantee that player X will be a star. On the other hand, there is no guarantee that player Y and Z WON'T be stars. Therefore, it is better to have 2 chances with players Y and Z than just one with player X, since there are no guarantees with any of them.

It seems like we always have to go back to a basic discussion of probability on this forum every time someone mentions 'guarantee'. There was 'no guarantee' we'd get a top 3 pick, but we certainly liked our odds more being the team with the most balls. There is no guarantee Bogut or Marvin will even be in the NBA in 3 years, but scouts like their chances to be stars more than those of Williams or Paul. That's why they're rated higher. It's not just percentage points here, either. Most scouts admit this is a 2 player draft. After that, the next 8 players are similar in ability level.

Well said CBA....Of course nothing is guaranteed in any draft. However the success rate of the players most scouts say will be a sure shot to stardum is pretty good. So I don't question much when ALL scouts say above a shadow of a doubt these are the two best players in the draft.

The experts predictions over the years have been pretty good.

Look at Lebron, Dwight Howard, Okefur, Carmelo, and on and on. These guys were projected to be special in the NBA and so far they all are living up to expectations.

If they ALL the GMs, critics, writers say a guy is going to be good, most likely they are going to be good when it is unanimous like that.