• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Where's my crow? Chris Paul is tall enough.

mrhonline

• Premium Member

6'1 in shoes. He actually measured taller than Felton, even though Felton had a greater wingspan.

I would seriously give him a look at the #2. Why? Because Marvin Williams is only 6'8 in shoes. That makes the claims that he can play PF less certain IMO. That 9'0 wingspan isn't going to hurt him, though.

Measurements

Some other interesting measurements:

Sean May - 6'8 (8'9 wingspan)

Bogut - 7'0 (9'2 wingspan)

Felton - 6'0 (8'2 wingspan)

Deron - 6'3 (8'2 wingspan)

Villanueva - 6'9 (9'1 wingspan)

Taft - 6'9 (9'1 wingspan)

Frye - 6'10 (9'2 wingspan)

Andriuskevicius - 7'3 (9'4 wingspan)

This would explain why Bernie is so high on both Marvin and Paul. But I still like Marvin better between the two. Of course I would rather have Bogut than either of them. Paul will go 3rd or 4th no doubt in my mind about it.

Those are some interesting numbers. Frye's stand out for me as well as Taft's.

• Premium Member

Those weren't the wingspans; they were the standing reaches. I got my murds wixed.

Here are some of the interesting wingspans:

Andriuskevicius 6'11

Bogut 7'3

Diogu 7'3

Felton 6'4

Frye 7'2

Gilchrist 6'9

Jack 6'7

May 7'1

Paul 6'4

Taft 7'2

Villanueva 7'0

Marvin 7'3

Deron 6'6

Gilchrist stands out the most to me...

• Admin

Marvin is a SF, the question is can Smith play PF. It now makes me wonder of what is the point to having Smith and Marvin as our SFs.

I was surprised to see that Paul was that tall and that he is actually taller then Felton. Interesting.

• Premium Member

I've always been a little concerned about his height, but after watching him and looking closely at his numbers (and considering his nod for ACC all-defense 1st), I felt much more sure about him. People also don't consider the fact that he is quite athletic which will surely help him in the NBA. I feel that he's going to come in and make a difference right away. He's going to score on this level and he's going to make the right passes in the halfcourt or open court...he's definitely worth considering.

I'm holding out hope that we'll find a way to pick him up, but if/when the Bucks take Bogut...I see a serious decision on BK's plate. Certainly Marvin could be a special player in a few years, but he is also enticing because BK could be looking at that deal with Charlotte.

Still, Paul has what it takes at his position to be special real quick...if not right off the bat.

Damn.

I can just imagine a backcourt of Paul and Chillz...both capable of cutting up the lane...with Smith and Harrington on the frontline. Dimes just thrown around everywhere... Smoove picking up perfectly placed passes in midair... Paul breaking down the defense with penetration, opening up the game for everybody...

He's certainly not going to last passed New Orleans and if the rumors surrounding Portland and Boston are true, then he's going to beantown...

• Premium Member

Those numbers that you are reporting as Wingspan is actually reach.

The Wingspan is the number before it...

WHEW...

If May had an 8'9" wingspan, he'd be longer than anybody alive.

May has a 7'1 3/4" wingspan which is pretty good.

Look at Maxzilla...

He's 6'6" 3/4 with a 7'3 3/4" wingspan.

That means that his wingspan is actually bigger than Boguts'??? That guy is a freak!

Damn. Eric Williams has a 7'4" wingspan...

Marty A must be a tyrannosaurus... He has a small wingspan.

Paul's height should be a non-factor now as he clearly is at least as tall as guys former standouts like John Stockton, Kevin Johnson, Mookie Blaylock, Kenny Anderson, Mark Price, Terrell Brandon, etc. and similar in height to current standouts Mike Bibby, Tony Parker, etc.

It also bears mentioning that he will be taller then contemporaries Sebastian Telfair, Jameer Nelson, TJ Ford, Raymond Felton, Dan Dickau, Luke Ridenour, Chris Duhon, etc.

• Premium Member

Quote:

WHEW...

If May had an 8'9" wingspan, he'd be longer than anybody alive.

laugh.gif

Sorry again, guys. I know the difference between the two, but something got me distracted...

I'm having trouble with my router and keep having to disconnect. By the time I got it working, I couldn't edit the post...

• Moderators

I hope that if BK decides he wants Paul he will trade with Portland for their #3 pick and something else and then draft Paul after they select Williams. I still would stay at #2 and take the guy I thought would be the biggest star unless I knew I could trade down and get the same player or I got an overwhelming offer from another team.

Quote:

I hope that if BK decides he wants Paul he will trade with Portland for their #3 pick and something else and then draft Paul after they select Williams. I still would stay at #2 and take the guy I thought would be the biggest star unless I knew I could trade down and get the same player or I got an overwhelming offer from another team.

I can see trading down if Bogut is gone. I really think (for the 1st time in like forever) we are in a almost no lose situation in the draft.

Only way we lose is with bad picks that do not pan out. With what BK did last year in the draft, I do not see that happening. Thank the basketball gods that Pete is gone. He did well with Free Agents but was always lost when it came to the draft.

• Premium Member

Which means that he's bigger than Allen Iverson. Iverson is 6'0 165 in shoes.

I think Paul can play the position because he's 6'1 178... That's not too bad when you really consider it.

Paul like Terry has blow by speed.

Paul Unlike Terry can run an offense.

Paul Unlike Terry is a good defensive player.

This draft will be interesting!

• Premium Member

Is his durability.

I don't have a problem with his defense. I have watched him enough to know that he plays passing lanes very well and he sticks to his man.

I don't have a problem with his leadership. IN fact, one of the best things about Paul is that he shows up for big games. The one time he didn't was because Deron Williams (well scouted) put the clamps on him... Well scouted meaning that Williams and Paul have played together many times. I don't hold that against Williams because he's the best defensive PG in the draft and one of the best Pure PGs to come out... BUT just to say, Williams knew where the bodies were.

I don't have a problem with his height against other players. Only Phil Jackson subscribes to the Big Gaurd theory... Well, not exactly... But a Big guard will get killed by Paul once Paul learns the league. I was looking at Tony Parker. Parker is fast and has skills but he's not as fast as Paul and doesn't possess the same skill set. That's to say, I expect Paul will be twice the PG of Parker and Bibby...

There's a lot to like about Paul.

What about the Hawks...

Somebody needs to sit down with BK and see why he traded Terry away for Next years 1st rounder? I think it was because Terry couldn't run an offense or play defense. However, if it was about his size, then Paul may not be BK's choice.

Wait a minute, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a really long wingspan only help inside players? I'm pretty sure a rather large wingspan creates a different shooting mechanic where it'll will be harder and slower to get a good shot off. So if Marvin would be a sf the wingspan doesn't help him, while if he were a pf the wingspan would make him play "taller" and him being slightly below the desired length for a pf isn't taken into consideration due to his wingspan..

Bogut or Paul or trade

• Premium Member

I think Wingspan helps defensive players.

Tayshun Prince and Shawn Marion are examples of guys who are not PF/C that have long wingspans and are both good defenders. I think a team full of players with long wingspans could be a very good defensive team. They would be able to cut off passing lanes the way that Detroit does.

Detroit has Wallace/Prince and those guys disrupts lots of offensive gameplans.