• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

who is the best Point Guard in this draft?

ggp

If Bogut is gone, we will need to decide whether we want a PG for the next ten years or not. I would draft a PG without a doubt. The only question is which one? From what I have read, Paul is the top PG, yet when ever the Hawks are linked to a PG, Deron is mentioned.

Which point guard would be the best choice for us?

I think that now that Paul has been officially measured in at 6'1, which was actually 2+" more than many anticipated, he has to be the #1 guy. Most mocks have had him going ahead of all the other PGs all along and the only negative I have heard anyone say about him is that he is too short which we now know for certain isnt the case.

If taking a pg at #2 is a reality, let the Bobcats do it and take our chances at 5 and 13.

To many solid PG's in this draft to use a number two on. We should be able to get Deron or Felton easily with a #5 and who knows maybe The Bucks (take Marvin), Portland and NO pass on Bogut and we still get him plus a 13.

Thats my take on this scenario. Just cannot see a pg worth a number two overall when the top three are not that far apart talentwise.

I like Deron best for his scoring and leadership ability. I like Paul for his already developed pure point guard skills 2nd and I like Felton for his speed and upside.

Honestly three-four years from now Felton could be the one that makes the all star team. The guy has the potential to break down defenses at will from the half court set and on the break, who is going to catch him?

I think it would be a dumb choice to trade down just b/c there are more players available at the same position. You have to trust your own judgement and, frankly, I trust BK's very much. If Paul is the guy, there is no reason not to take him at #2. I definitely think a franchise PG is worth a #2 pick. If that's what Paul is, I won't say a word. Same goes for Deron Williams. If there is a #1 at PG, I want him. I don't want a lesser player just b/c we could get him later and pick up another pick at #13, who might not even be a starter for us. That's assuming BK thinks Paul or DWill are the best prospects. I really have a feeling now that BK does want Paul.

Maybe #2 to POR for #3/future 1st lotto protected

Chris Paul

Josh Childress

Josh Smith

Al Harrington

That core doesn't look so bad, especially, considering we have all that cap space and will probably add a decent player to contribute off the bench at #31. Maybe a Francisco Garcia or Ronny Turiaf.

It's kind of like saying, I like Marvin Williams as a SF but we could trade down and take Danny Granger, Gerald Green or Antoine Wright and load up on extra draft picks. No reason to think that Gerald Green doesn't have the potential to match Marvin Williams when it is all said and done. I just would favor MW b/c he seems to have a good head on his shoulders and is getting so hyped up right now. Playing for UNC definitely helps him.

Quote:

think it would be a dumb choice to trade down just b/c there are more players available at the same position. You have to trust your own judgement and, frankly, I trust BK's very much. If Paul is the guy, there is no reason not to take him at #2. I definitely think a franchise PG is worth a #2 pick. If that's what Paul is, I won't say a word. Same goes for Deron Williams. If there is a #1 at PG, I want him. I don't want a lesser player just b/c we could get him later and pick up another pick at #13, who might not even be a starter for us. That's assuming BK thinks Paul or DWill are the best prospects. I really have a feeling now that BK does want Paul.

It's kind of like saying, I like Marvin Williams as a SF but we could trade down and take Danny Granger, Gerald Green or Antoine Wright and load up on extra draft picks. No reason to think that Gerald Green doesn't have the potential to match Marvin Williams when it is all said and done. I just would favor MW b/c he seems to have a good head on his shoulders and is getting so hyped up right now. Playing for UNC definitely helps him.

I have no problem with taking a point guard at #2 if that is what BK thinks is the smart thing to do. I just do not see a lot of separation between Paul, Deron, and Felton.

So my thinking is not "take a lesser player" it is get "just as good a player (possibly better)" and add a pick while doing it. Which is my judgement

If BK thinks there is a lot of seperation then he will take a pg (paul?) at # 2 but if he thinks that there is not I can see him trading down.

Course I honestly beleive he is holding on to #2 to get Bogut or Marvin and not Paul, which makes sense if I am correct in thinking that the top three PG's are very close talent wise.

Bogut is clearly the class of centers this year and Marvin is in his own class as well. I think there are three point guards who are all in the same class. Which is what my post was all about. Not lesser by any stretch.

Interesting take on the games of the top point guards. I actually think Paul has the much more well developed offensive game as he is a much better shooter then either Williams or Felton. I like Both Paul and Williams for their pure point guard skills. I like Williams for his defense and intangibles and Felton for his speed.

Only time will tell which is the best. They are all talented enough, particularly Paul and Williams, to warrant selection at number 2.

We have to disagree on selecting them at number two. Paul could be the next big point guard, but so could Deron or Felton whom we could have at 5 if a trade was done.

I do like all three and think they will all be starters in this league for quite a few years.

Quote:

PGs are easier to find than centers imo

Exactly The human condition dictates that there are a lot more people under 6' 4" than over 6' 10" so it also dictates that there are a lot more talented basketball players under 6' 4" than there are over 6' 10"

A talented big man is much harder to find than a talented point guard.

I'm not trying to start an argument. All I was saying that, if Paul is indeed believed (here I go putting all my trust in BK) to be THE #1 PG in this draft and have even a Poor Man's Steve Nash/All Star potential then I'll back the move at #2. In Deron Williams, you have a guy with the size of Jason Kidd, supposedly a great b-ball IQ and competitive nature. Those are things I love in a b-ball player. He very well could be worth a #2 pick as well. I guess we'll see. But if Bogut is available at #2, none of this might matter.

Nah man its cool. I am with you, if BK takes Paul you will not hear me complaining at all. I do trust in what he does. I liked last years draft and no matter who we take this year, I have faith he will be a starter also.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The guy has the potential to break down defenses at will from the half court set and on the break, who is going to catch him?

Potential...

But can he do it?

This is my problem with Felton. I've watched a lot of UNC games and the thing about UNC is that you don't know what any of them can do on defense and you don't know how Felton or Williams will really fair in a halfcourt type game. For as much as we like to talk about uptempo basketball.. The teams that win are those teams that can play in the halfcourt set.

UNC never showed me that they were so good in the halfcourt set.

Deron showed me a lot! He's the best defensive guard/pure PG in the game. I think he's a genuine superstar.

Paul, he's good also. I think he's going to be the best player from this draft....IF HE IS DURABLE. He's still a small guy and a lot of his points aren't from outside ala Terry but he drives ala Iverson... That will get you injured.

BUT damn. You got to like Paul's leadership and Speed....

I can almost see us, getting the rebound (we need a C who with a catcher's mit for hands) and Paul leading the break... Tossing it up for somebody to dunk it home! I guess, Felton can do that too.

• Premium Member

I mean you can count them on two hands.... Throughout History...

Bob Cousy.

Jerry West - I wouldn't say he was pure.

Oscar Robinson - The righty.

Lenny Wilkins - The Lefty.

Magic Johnson

John Stockton

Isiah Thomas - I wouldn't say he was the purest.

Steve Nash

Jason Kidd

I don't think I missed anybody. This is it.

There are a lot of jokers that get put in the position, but being in the position, doesn't make you a PG or at least not a pure PG.

This draft has 2 pure PGs with Superstar Potential.

Not even the great PG draft of 1999 had that.

In that draft you had:

Francis, Davis, Miller, and JT. Only Miller and Francis were considered PURE. And both have become combo guards of sort...

The draft is going to interesting for us Hawks fans. A lot of options when you have the 2nd pick.

The only guarantee I can give you is I will not be disappointed in whoever we get. There is no doubt in my mind that player will be a starter at a needed position (Center, Forward or PG) and that is what is important. We have to improve every year.