• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bogut has a 33 inch vertical!!!!

LastDon

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Bogut was slower than expected in the sprint and lateral quickness drills, though. Chad Ford put him down as one of the losers in the drills in Chicago and said it would not help him in the draft.

The Bogut vertical is a solid number, but the bench press scares me. The guy had 13 reps of 185 pounds, while Deron lifted the same weight 15 times and Paul 10. If Bogut is a true center and is going to play in the post, he should have lifted that thing at least 25 times. 13 reps for a 7 footer with his body is just frickin awful. I dont want this guy on our squad. He rated as one of the least athletic players at Chicago, and didnt even put up good numbers in the strength tests, a test where he should clearly have the advantage over smaller players that dont even weigh 185 pounds.

Thats what a lot of people dont seem to understand, I guess because its hard to quantify just how huge the distance is for a 7' person to have to push the bar. I would like to see the numbers for other players his size over the recent years, can anyone find that?

• Admin

It means absolutely nothing in the game of basketball. They aren't linemen. They aren't trying to break a guys face with a chest pass. It's nothing more than a stat for people to put on paper and compare guys. In the game of basketball, it's meaningless.

And for a 7' guy, or any guy with that kind of wingspan. It's very difficult to get that strong. At his position he needs bulk and whole body mass so that he can't be moved around in the post and can move other people around. He has that, that's all that he needs.

While arm length is a factor, Paul doesnt even have a weight of 185 pounds yet he got the bar up 10 times. Further, strength does matter in basketball, especially if you are playing a post position. I bet you Shaq could get that bar up 30 times. When you are talking about a top 3 pic, you should be talking about a guy that is a stud or has stud like qualities. Bogut has none of these. he's the white Michael Olowokandi, who is going to get drafted high just because hes 7 feet and has a few skills. Bogut is not athletic, hes not strong, he hasnt played against top competition in college and he tested poorly in Chicago. We can only pray that the Bucks fall for over rated 7 footer like other teams have in the past. Otherwise, its gonna be a wasted high lottery pick for us.

• Admin

and your thoughts on strength in the NBA are shortsighted. There's a reason that very few basketball players lift weights to continually gain strength. It's because weight lifting strenght, in the NBA, even for post players, isn't much of a factor.

• Admin

Ben Wallace is the only one of those guys with upper body strength and muscle worth mentioning. KG, despite his cut, is not a muscular guy and neither is Duncan. They use their bodies to move guys and to prevent themselves from being moved, not their arms. It's about having a strong center of gravity, good balance and good body control, not strength.

Olowakandi does not have fire. Bogut has fire. To me that's the difference between a bust and someone who succeeds. He has the physical tools, and he has the fundamentals. And guess what, he has that fire to want to kick someone's azz.

Quote:

While arm length is a factor, Paul doesnt even have a weight of 185 pounds yet he got the bar up 10 times. Further, strength does matter in basketball, especially if you are playing a post position. I bet you Shaq could get that bar up 30 times. When you are talking about a top 3 pic, you should be talking about a guy that is a stud or has stud like qualities. Bogut has none of these. he's the white Michael Olowokandi, who is going to get drafted high just because hes 7 feet and has a few skills. Bogut is not athletic, hes not strong, he hasnt played against top competition in college and he tested poorly in Chicago. We can only pray that the Bucks fall for over rated 7 footer like other teams have in the past. Otherwise, its gonna be a wasted high lottery pick for us.

Again for the record, Bogut dud more reps then beefy power forward types like May, Villaneuava, and Simien.

Strength is important is establishing position in the post. In boxing guys out, and in finishing around the basket. Are you trying to tell me that Bogut is weak in the arms and strong in other areas?

Further, for those of you that are comparing Boguts numbers to Simien and May..who cares?? Those guys are mid first round picks. When you talk about top 3 picks, you should be talking about guys with stud qualities. Bogut has none. he has size and thats it. So many busts have come in the top 5 when people draft for size over talent and ability.

Lets talk about the big man busts of the drafts. Start with Darko. Big dude with skills sits on the bench while Wade and Anthony light it up. Same draft is Chris Kaman. 1998 was Olowokandi and Lafrentz going before players like Vince Carter, Dirk Nowitzski and Paul Pierce. There was also the Shawn Bradley debacle in 1993. Finally, you can look at Sam Bowie taken ahead of Jordan.

Yes, this draft is not as strong as past drafts as far as studs at the top, but you cant take a big stiff when you have the chance to get a star like Marvin, or a true point guard with amazing quickness like Paul. if we take Bogut, he will never be a great player, and this whole season of tanking will be wasted and rebuilding will yet again be put on hold.