• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Williams at the Milwaukee Workout

Diesel

• Premium Member

Some news and views on Marvin Williams’ audition Sunday for the Milwaukee Bucks, who have the No. 1 pick in the June 28th NBA draft and are contemplating picking either the North Carolina forward or Utah center Andrew Bogut, who works out for the team Monday.

* Virtually everyone involved in the basketball operations of the Bucks’ organization was in attendance at the Cousins Center, the team’s training facility. Seated at tables near midcourt were general manager Larry Harris, assistant general manager Dan Kohl, head coach Terry Porter, player personnel director Dave Babcock, scouts Chris Gilmartin and Scott Roth, player personnel/scouting assistant Dave Dean and last but certainly not least owner Herb Kohl. The Bucks two assistant coaches – Bob Ociepka and Mike Sanders – along with strength and conditioning coach Tim Wilson conducted the nearly one-hour workout..

* It’s no secret the 6-foot-8 Williams is a marvelous athlete and he exhibited his athleticism at various times during the intense workout, several times soaring effortlessly above the rim for an eye-opening dunk. He also showed exceptional quickness and good ballhandling skills that are essential for creating one’s own shot.

What Williams didn’t demonstrate was any consistency with his jump shot. He was streaky throughout shooting drills and struggled noticeably from beyond the 3-point line. He definitely wasn’t “James Worthy with a jump shot’’ as some of his supporters have touted him.

Despite his shooting woes, Harris nevertheless was impressed with Williams’ shooting mechanics.

“I love his stroke,’’ Harris said. “I liked how his hands were positioned on the ball, the rotation on his shot and his followthrough. It was picture-perfect.’’

Williams also showed he needs to get much stronger and in better condition. In low-post drills, Williams had difficulty establishing position against Sanders, a former NBA player.

As for his conditioning, Williams sweated profusely early in the workout and his legs tightened up on at least two occasions, forcing a stoppage in the workout. On a couple of other occasions, Ociepka delayed a drill to apparently let Williams catch his breath.

* Harris and Porter both agreed after the workout that Williams has the capabilities to play either forward position. However, they differed as to which forward spot Williams would begin his pro career.

In Harris’ opinion, Williams would start out at power forward and might even challenge incumbent starter Joe Smith. Conversely, Porter felt Williams would be more suited as a small forward but didn’t know if Williams could unseat current starter Desmond Mason.

“He would probably have to start out at the three spot,’’ Porter said. “I wouldn’t say he would be a starter; he would be in the three position. We would have to see how that played out.’’

In other words, Harris and Porter echoed what many other NBA officials have been saying: Williams doesn’t have a true position and is, in NBA jargon, a tweener.

* Harris said the Bucks have yet to receive any offers for the No. 1 pick, perhaps because the overwhelming perception around the league is the Bucks are committed to selecting Bogut. In fact, at the recent pre-draft camp in Chicago, I asked nearly a half dozen NBA officials who they believed the Bucks would pick and each and everyone said Bogut.

But Harris insisted he’s all ears to a potential trade.

“I’m still open to listening,’’ Harris said.

* Williams celebrated his 19th birthday Sunday. On Saturday night, the Bucks presented him with a cake at downtown Milwaukee restaurant. Williams’ main entrée was New York strip steak.

* Jim Tanner, Williams’ agent, said his client would be content playing either in Milwaukee or Atlanta, which has the No. 2 pick. “We had dinner the other day and he told me it didn’t matter where he played. He was just so happy to have the opportunity to provide for his family.’’

* Williams will have his second and only other workout for Atlanta on Wednesday.

* The Bucks plan to give Bogut a thorough eye examination today. Former Utah coach Rick Majerus has been quoted as saying Bogut has “macular degeneration’’, an eye disease. Bogut and Utah officials have vehemently disagreed, saying Bogut has some nearsightedness and wears contact lens to correct it.

* Williams said his favorite players are Kevin Garnett and Gary Payton: “They’re both very intense. They play hard every night.’’

* When asked what other player he’d compare Williams to, Porter said: “Being a 19-year-old, the only guy I can compare him to is Kevin Garnett. Kevin was a lot thinner than Marvin, but he was a lot taller. Kevin didn’t have some of the fundamental skills he (Williams) has, but Marvin doesn’t have some of the athleticism and quickness Kevin had at that age. And Marvin obviously doesn’t have the length Kevin has. Kevin was 7-foot at that point. Marvin is 6-8, but I think he is going to get taller and grow an inch or two

This doesn't sound as if the Bucks are going to take Williams. Most teams that have the #1 overall usually don't take a player to only have him sit on the bench. The more I think I about it, I wouldn't mind if we took Williams at #2, but I'd rather see us take a different Williams. I would like to do a simple trade of swapping the #2 & #3 at the cost of Portland's unprotected first next year.

Yeah I'm starting to think that I might be happiest if we somehow ended up with Deron if Bogut is gone. And it sounds like Marvin didn't have the unbelievable workout that might have convinced the bucks to take him. I wish his atlanta workout was open to the public.

Do we have anything Milwaukee would take to give us the top pick?

The Bucks would be stupid to base their decision on whether Marvin was tired or whether he was cold behind the arc. This was his first workout and he was certainly very conscious of all of the eyes on him. Marvin's mechanics were flawless; that is what is most important. He is still quite young and you can expect his game to grow a bit more. If I were them, I would consider him a future star Power Forward.

As a Hawk fan, I would be happy to have Marvin on the team. He and Josh would make a formidable Forward duo that could make an average Center's life a lot easier.

If we take Marvin, we should trade Harrington and hopefully get a Point Guard later in the round. Someone like Jack would fit in nicely.

Filet mignon is a sucker's steak. It's usually the only prime cut of beef that isn't aged, and is usually shipped swimming in its own watery blood. It may be tender as a result, but it's certainly not as flavorful as a dry-aged ribeye or ny strip.

I agree. I think Al and Marvin have totally different games. Al is primarily a work horse inside the paint with his back to the basket. Al has a short mid-range jumper and that is about it for his outside game.

Marvin has much more range on his jumper. He may be able to consistently shoot the 3.

I think Marvin conflicts with Josh Smith's position more than Al. The problem is that Al is a tweener in terms of his body size, height and type.

The more I think about it, there is a delimna if we draft Marvin Williams, however I think the biggest problem is with Josh Smith at the 3.

Can Josh Smith play the 4 naturally???

• Premium Member

I think Williams is tweener who is probably much more suited to play the 3. I don't think Smoove is ready to play the 4 and I don't think BK will move Al. If we get Williams, then either he or Smoove will be on the bench.. It's that simple.

Marvin Williams is not Al Harrington. Harrington shooting threes would be a nightmare. Worse than watching Toine launching ten a night.

Williams is more of a take your man off the dribble type of player who has a good stroke. He is only 19 and his accuracy should improve with reps. Could have been a off night and he might have been a little tight to start with as well.

I am all about how he works out for us. If BK see's him as the next 20 pt a game scorer for us then let BK take him (as if we could stop him:)

It's really all about what BK thinks. We can post negatives and positives till we are blue in the face and it will not change the draft in any way shape or form. I just gotta believe he will get it right.

• Premium Member

One of them will have to play off the bench...

It could be Smoove starting...

However, you're not going to bench team captain and 17 ppg Al Harrington. You're not going to bench Chillz...

Quote:

If we get Williams, then either he or Smoove will be on the bench.. It's that simple.

If BK beleives he is worth the pick and this is how it turns out .... Then so be it.

Quote:

I think Williams is tweener who is probably much more suited to play the 3. I don't think Smoove is ready to play the 4 and I don't think BK will move Al. If we get Williams, then either he or Smoove will be on the bench.. It's that simple.

I unfortunately agree. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't take him. I think if that was the case Williams would get alot of minutes off the bench for now, and eventually either he or Smoove will have to be groomed into a 4 or get traded.