• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If We Go PG, I Think we Should Go With Paul

Traceman

In fact, I'm beginning to agree with Wretch that MAYBE we should take Paul REGARDLESS of who is available at #2, including Bogut (I'm still undecided on that point though). Of all the players in the draft, I think Paul has that "it" which will make him a terific player and COULD allow him to become a star. Worst case, I think he's Mike Bibby or Kevin Johnson. Best case, I think he is somewhere between Steve Nash and Isiah Thomas.

I like Deron Williams' size and D a lot better but overall, I think Paul is going to be the better player. In addition, I think Paul fits better with THIS team. We need a PG who can not only run the team but take his man off the dribble and knock down the open J as well. Paul can DEFINITELY do those things. I think Deron does a great job of running a team and seeing the floor but his J is not as good as Paul's and he can't take his man off the dribble as well either. If we had Ray Allen at SG and Rashard Lewis at SF (2 very good perimeter shooters), I could see going with Williams but that is not the case with this team. A perimeter lineup of Williams, Chillz and Smoove would allow teams to just pack in the lane and cut off drives to the hoop but Paul has the ability to help shoot them out of that kind of D.

If I had a choice, I would like Paul over Deron too. Paul will be special. I really wish we good get another high 1st round pick somehow and get either one of those guys.

I see absolutely no way to do it however. BK is going to go with the safe pick and choose Marvin at No. 2.

How can we get No. 4 or No. 5 pick?

from CNN SI

Quote:

Word around the league is that the Hawks found Chris Paul to be more impressive than Deron Williams during their recent workouts. There are also new whispers that Atlanta may be having second thoughts about picking Marvin Williams at No. 2 after he told the Hawks that he has never seen an NBA playoff game, which created questions about Williams' passion and commitment. But don't put too much stock in that: The Hawks told Marvin Williams that he shouldn't bother working out for Portland, a strong sign that they still intend to pick him. ...

Quote:

The Blazers are searching everywhere for the best deal. They asked Atlanta about giving up the No. 2 pick in exchange for Darius Miles and the No. 3, but the Hawks had no interest.

link

• Premium Member

For me, it's way too early to tell what kind of PG this team is going to need. There are way too many roster spots to be filled over the next few months, but:

If you want an up-tempo, offense-first team, I don't think there will be a better PG to do that in the next two or three drafts than Chris Paul. His ability to get steals would make for an exciting team to watch.

Of course, in today's NBA, up-tempo teams are rarely championship teams. They tend to be very successful, but rarely win it all. Case in point: the Phoenix Suns (obviously).

Defensively-minded PGs, on the other hand, are a real hit-or-miss bunch. Deron could turn out to be another Jamaal Tinsley: a good, serviceable PG who is as detrimental at times as he is helpful.

I've said before that I would rather gamble on a Jason Kidd wanna-be than a Stephon Marbury wanna-be, but I'll be the last one to complain if the Hawks' PG is Chris Paul next year.

If the Hawks take a PG, then the one they pick will probably determine the type of team that's put together over the next few years.

IMO, Knight's unending desire to have long, defensive types makes Deron the more likely to be selected. (Plus the fact he's proven to be just as athletic doesn't hurt).

• Moderators

One of the fastest-plummeting prospects is 18-year-old forward Ersan Ilyasova from the Turkish league. The 6-9 Ilyasova was rated as a smaller version of Andrei Kirilenko, with the same kind of lively body and better shooting skills from the perimeter, but last year he underwent major surgery to place screws in his ankle. He returned this season to average 4.5 points in 11 games for his club Ulker Istanbul, and is currently on a whirlwind tour of auditions in 10 NBA cities. The workouts aren't going well for him -- he's looked rusty -- but NBA doctors say that his surgery was a success and shouldn't hinder his career. What this means is that a team at the end of the first round or early in the second could come up with a steal should Ilyasova regain his confidence. But Ilyasova has no interest in returning overseas to continue his development in Europe -- he is intent on playing in the NBA next season.

• Premium Member

Mostly because I would hate passing up the BPA and people (lots of people) are making it sound like that player is Williams at #2. I would certainly consider Paul at #2. However, if we can come away with Deron or Paul PLUS say the 13th pick, or some of the other players being discussed...I'd do that; in a heartbeat. I think Knight will to. I think a deal with NO or Charlotte is almost a certainty. Especially with either of these guys being available at #4.

.........is still in college, but the Hawks may have a great shot at getting him next season considering they are armed with two picks.

3orubrewer2.jpg

Ronnie Brewer is a 6'7" athlete who is a tremendous ball handler and sets the Arkansas offense. He's probably got a 7+ foot wingspan and a standing reach of close to 9'. I think this is exactly the type of player Billy Knight wants to take a long look at for his point guard position.

I'd also keep an eye on J.P. Prince who will be a freshman at Arizona this season. He's a 6'6" point guard with super long arms. Very similar to Shaun Livingston.

I think Boris Diaw will be given a legitimate chance to be the point guard this year though. Some may not think he can play it long term, but Billy sees something in him.

I agree about Boris KB21. I think the key concerning Boris is whether or not he arrives to summer camp. If he does, Woody will be ok with him, I think if he doesn't he will be in Woody's doghouse.

I hope that Boris foregoes some of the French national team work for the sake of the Hawks this summer...

If we weren't, why wouldn't we consider Portland's offer? Obviously, they would take Williams at 2 and we could get Paul or D. Williams at 3. Miles isn't great but his contract isn't that bad and I'm sure we could have sent Drobnjak/Delk to Portland if we were worried about maximizing our salary cap room for this year.

Brown (or preferably Chandler or Curry)/Collier

Harrington/Smoove

Miles/Diaw

Johnson (or Hughes)/Chillz

Paul/Lue

That looks like a BK team to me.

I would put Paul way down the list because of "GroinGate." No excuse for that behaviour and it reflects on his character and intelligence. In the longterm I think that is too important.

Deron seems to be a solid pick. But I still would like Marvin. Either Williams is ok by me.

yeti