• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Insider on the Hawks pick with trade talk

Admin

I agree, BK will not give away this pick. If a team wants it, be ready to pay for it with real value. The only one that I think is possible is the bobcats offer. I do not see Deron or Paul being available at five for the deal to happen.

• Premium Member

Quote:

a guy who has the elite ability to be a true superstar player in the NBA.

In your first sentence... You readily admit that Marvin has more potential than known ability. Because the truth of the matter is you guys are gassed over his potential... read this:

Quote:

His potential, however, is nothing to sniff at. Absolutely superior

quickness, as well as excellent ball-handling skills, are tantalizingly

packaged in his 6-10 frame. He looks great running the floor. Any

polished half court skills are not so apparent. He's only a freshman, but

so was Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

He is looked at as a power forward because his body looks more readily

transformable into a muscle bound NBA body than most young players. But

his game looks much more like a small forward's.

This is just one of the draft report on a player and it speaks to potential... The problem is that Potential doesn't always equate to "elite ability". Potential is a word that is readily tossed around but what it really means is "you don't know".

I wish you guys would quit trying to talk MWill up as if he's the next coming of Lebron James. I mean really. All he has right now is Potential and if his potential was so radically close to being Elite ability, he'd no doubt be the first pick of the draft!

Quote:

I agree KB. Every team and their mama wants to move up to get Marvin. Marvin is argueably the prize of this entire draft and we have relatively untalented team (only three players of some potential - 1 only being a proven player). Chillz and Smoove have a long way to go.

I can see if 50% (at least 6 players) of our team was in place and we knew they were proven. I definately would move down and get a guard, but people we are not even remotely at the point right now. This will not be an overnight fix even if we drafted Deron or Paul. We still have to get much more talent.

BK HAS TO DRAFT MARVIN at this point.

The people on this forum who are saying pass on him will be the same ones complaining about the choice that BK made in the 2005 draft when Marvin is starting to make All-Star games and putting up double doubles everynight!! Mark my words those same people will be complaining.

At this point I would be OK with any of the frequently named prospects. I lean towards a PG because a top-notch PG can make good players great. The same can not be said about Forwards.....if they are great, they don't necessary make the rest of they team mates better.

I am aware that Marvin is an incredible talent, but from what I have heard, Paul and Deron are phenomenal players too.

If we can trade Marvin for an all-star Center and an elite PG, we should do it.

That's exactly why the Hawks should take him and why teams are falling over each other in attempt to trade up and get him.

The Hawks aren't talented enough to pass on a player with his potential, which is what the draft is about regardless of if you are taking a young player or a four year college guy. When you get the chance to get a player that has his dimensions, his athleticism, and his skill set, you have to take that player.

Marvin Williams is a player that combines the ball handling and passing skills of Lamar Odom, the shooting skills of Carmelo Anthony, the strength of Amare Stoudemire, and the athleticism of Tracy McGrady into one package.

Quote:

Marvin Williams is a player that combines the ball handling and passing skills of Lamar Odom, the shooting skills of Carmelo Anthony, the strength of Amare Stoudemire, and the athleticism of Tracy McGrady into one package.

say what???? you can't be serious...If he was that great he would be the no.1 pick hands down. He IS NOT the next Lebron James, he doesn't even have as much potential as Dwight Howard, his athleticism was extremely overrated, In my opinion he is very similar to Luol Deng, same size, Similar athleticism, and similar skillwize, althouth id say Deng was a little better on the perimeter.

Taking Marvin Williams would be extremely stupid unless they trade him for the 5th and 13th picks and take Paul and a big man, the Hawks DO NOT need another forward, we have plenty of young talent at forward. Chris Paul, and Deron Williams have just as much potential as M.Williams and they play a position the Hawks need

When did Luol Deng ever show the explosive athleticism that Marvin has?

The answer is never. Deng is not nearly as fast, as quick, nor as explosive as Marvin Williams. Williams's vertical is 5 inches better than Deng's, and he performed better in the agility and the strength drills than Deng.

Marvin had better numbers in the combine, but has absolutely nothing to do with what a player can do on the court, Deng was more polished in his first of college than Marvin. You shouldn't rely on scouting reports and combine numbers to determine how good a player is, I have seen Marvin play several times and i think he is a good player, but he is not near the player he is being hyped up to be

Another thing...If Marvin was actually 6'10" like was being reported in some scouting reports, his athleticism would be " elite" and he would be worth the 2nd pick no doubt, but he is only 6'7" he just isn't that great...good, not great, the Hawks Wont pick him unless they pick him and trade him, Billy Knight isn't dumb enough to keep him with the roster the way it is now

Yeah. Billy Knight isn't dumb enough to keep the best player in this draft when he gets the chance to take him. He's smart enough to move down and get a point guard that will have defensive problems his entire career because he is too small.

We've got fans who are smart enough to want the Hawks to draft like Pete Babcock did....by drafting based on need and not drafting to get the best player.

And some wonder why Pete's drafting record is as lousy as it is.

So in summary of the posts so far, it seems close between keep MWill or drop down if one of the top2 points falls to Charlotte and they will give up both picks.

I dont think Charlotte will give up both picks, if they would, that would be my choice. But actually I keep getting a feeling all of this is not even going to be an issue, the Bucks are gonna take MWill. We get Bogut.

The best player in the draft is Andruw Bogut, If the Hawks have a shot at getting him then they will take him. The Hawks have 2 very good forwards already, they need a good point guard to distribute the ball to them and a big man to help with interior defense and rebounding, with the 5 and 13 picks the Hawks could fill both of those needs with young players with good potential. Theres no guarantee that Marvin will be better than Al or Smoove anyway.

Quote:

So, you would have passed on drafting Michael Jordan because you had Clyde Drexler in place?

That isn't a fair comparison, nobody knew Michael was going to become the greatest player ever when he was drafted. Nobody knows what kind of player Marvin will become either, only time will tell. Marvin is a good player, but Dwight Howard, and certainly Lebron James were much better prospects than Marvin. Marvin just isn't one of those can't miss, sure fire superstars...If he was the Bucks would be taking him no.1 instead of Bogut. And if that was the case we wouldn't be arguing about who to take 2nd, it would be Bogut.

• Premium Member

Quote:

So, you would have passed on drafting Michael Jordan because you had Clyde Drexler in place?

YES! I would have...

Especially if Hakeem Olajuwon was on the board and I was PTL!!

Can't say Sh!t now huh?? Damn Diesel.. Why did you have to kill his weak argument so effeciently!

grin.gif

i'm just praying Bogut falls to us. His abilities combined with his fire and desire to win intrigues me. I can see him block a shot and start yelling to get his teammates pumped up while he runs back down the court.

Alot of the centers busts in the past (Kandi for example) is because they lack that meat and potatoes desire to kick someone's azz. Bogut has that.

oh my bad, we were talking about MWilliams again. Well you'd hate to pass up on that talent but honestly i'd only want to keep him IF we're trading Harrington and MWilliams should be able to play PF.

• Premium Member

Back to Jordan.

If I'm in PTL's shoes and I have Clyde Drexler (back then) I would take Hakeem with no hesitation.

The thing you fail to understand is that nobody knew how good Jordan would be. Atlanta turned down a trade of Jordan for Tree Rollins. Had they known how good Jordan would be do you think they would have turned this down. Do you think Chicago would have offered to trade?

Drexler was established.

I would have taken a potential superstar C without hesitation.

Quote:

If I'm in PTL's shoes and I have Clyde Drexler (back then) I would take Hakeem with no hesitation.

i was reading this article... and it said something about how HOUSTON (coaches + management) have no regrets (even to this day) with their selection.

Houston won 2 championships w/ hakeem olajuwan.

at the end of the day, Olajuwan is a top 5 center in the HISTORY of the game. Offense, Defense- he had the whole package.

im not sure what i would have done- but i just wanted to point that out to u guys. Houston (and their fans) do not have any regrets.