• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

KB21 makes crazy statement on RealGM???

Admin

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=384815

What exactly makes Chris Paul and Deron Williams better than Marvin Williams?

Let me guess. You would try to justify the drafting of the established Jerry Stackhouse over the potential that Kevin Garnett exuded during the 1995 draft? How many today would still take Stackhouse over Garnett?

This is the same situation. In Marvin Williams, you have a guy that brings a combination of skills, size, strength, and athleticism that no player at his position has ever brought to the NBA. A 6'9" speciman that has the ball handling and passing skills of Lamar Odom, the overall shooting ability of Carmelo Anthony, the strength of Amare Stoudemire, and the athleticism of Tracey McGrady. His potential is unmatched in this draft.

This is a young player that has showed elite athleticism, great range, consistency, and form on his jump shot, the ability to run the break with the ball in his hand, the ability to find the open man with the pass, the ability to defend as a help defender as well as an on the ball defender, and a team first attitude.

In Chris Paul, you have a guy who did well at the college level but has obvious size limiations for the pros and will likely never be any better than an average defender.

In Deron Williams, you have a guy who lacks consistency on his jump shot and lacks the explosion that the great ones have.

In Marvin Williams, you have a guy who has no apparent weaknesses to his game at all. The complete package. He has everything you can want in a power forward or a small forward, and his skill set will even allow him to play some shooting guard at times.

This guy is just a tremendous prospect, easily the best prospect in this draft, and that's why Atlanta should and will draft him.

My jaw dropped when I read that statement by KB, who has obviously had too much of the Marvin Kool-Aid to drink. However, I went back and looked at the pre-draft workout numbers from ESPN Insider that I posted on Hawksquawk from the 2002 draft. Check out how uninspiring Amare's numbers are.

http://www.hawksquawk.net/forums/printthread.php?Board=homecourt&main=837&type=post]Link

Amare

Bench: 12 reps of 185

Vertical: 35.5 in.

3/4 Court Sprint: 3.25

Lane Agility: 11.19

Now, check out the numbers for Marvin from this year

http://www.hawksquawk.net/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=homecourt&Number=83530&Forum=,f1,&Words=combine&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=83473&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=0&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post83530]Link

Marvin

Bench: 12 reps of 185

Vertical: 35 in.

3/4 Court Sprint: 3.17

Lane Agility: 15

Clearly, those are the important measurables since they are used every year and clearly, Marvin was able to hang with Amare in everything except the Lane Agility drill where he got smoked. I was stunned to see that he did the same amount of reps that Amare did, but mostly because I would have thought that Amare could have done far better.

Marvin's wingspan is also greater than Amare's. Amare measured in at a shade under 6'10" when he came out of high school. His wingspan was measured at 7'1".

Marvin measured in a 6'8" and a quarter, and his wingspan is 7'3".

I still dont see the NBA body on him that I saw on Amare. Amare always looked like a beast. Marvin looks like the typical NBA prospect. I would like to see some photos close up of his arms or without his shirt on. I want to see muscles on him that intimidate other players in the paint like Amare does.

but when people talk about him having an NBA ready body, the strength to bang down low, I just dont see it. He looks very thin and unmuscular for a guy to be regarded as having that ability to play with his back to the basket. I know its not the most important thing, but when you look at Amare or Kevin Willis in his prime, you knew that teams are/were intimidated by them in the post because they could simply outmuscle players with better position and could fight through double teams to get to the rim. I am just not convinced that Marvin can do that.

lets just go ahead and take Marvin, play him off the bench and the following year we have Childress, Smith, and Marvin as a helluva good core to build around.

I forgot about the part where the Hawks need to hire me to bulk Marvin up about 25 lbs so he can bang with the big PFs in the game.