• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Diesel Breaks Down MWiLL

Diesel

• Premium Member

I have been looking at it... MWill is the biggest hype job in the history of Hype jobs... The Hype Machine deserves it's credit.... I dare somebody anybody to tell me how MWill is better than Tim Thomas...

Here's the scouting report on Tim Thomas coming out...

Quote:

Tim Thomas is being rated in this draft mostly on potential, which I can't say he is any closer to reaching since he came out of high school one year ago. Many scouts had him pegged as a lottery pick back then, ahead of Air Kobe.

His potential, however, is nothing to sniff at. Absolutely superior

quickness, as well as excellent ball-handling skills, are tantalizingly

packaged in his 6-10 frame. He looks great running the floor. Any

polished half court skills are not so apparent. He's only a freshman, but

so was Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

He is looked at as a power forward because his body looks more readily

transformable into a muscle bound NBA body than most young players. But

his game looks much more like a small forward's. The double-edged word

"finesse" comes to mind with him. Webberitis--too much dribbling, too much

flash--might be the preliminary diagnosis of any hoops doctor watching him

play last year.

Unless he develops an interest in the power game, look for him to resemble

a Kevin Garnett. . . or a Charles Smith. . . at the pro level.

Now, let's start to reveal the facts about MWill..

KB will be quick to point out that he shot the ball very well. 50.9% from the field to be exact.

I am quick to point out that this number is just a product of the style of play UNC Played. They played run and gun uptempo basketball which normally caught their opponents off guard and led to many uncontested layups. As proof of this fact, look at the FG% of the guy who shared a spot with MWill. His FG% was 54.2%. Much higher than MWill's. He also scored more than MWill while only playing 2.4 mpg more than MWill...

KB will be quick to point out that he has a high basketball IQ

What does that mean? Does it mean that he can catch the ball and finish.. If so then he does. However, I haven't seen him outwit anybody on the court. I haven't seen him overcome his shortcomings the way that Kidd overcomes his lack of explosion (Deron too) or the way that Bird overcame his lack of athleticism. So give me an example please...

KB will be quick to say that He's a good ball handler and passer.

I have seen MWill handle the ball. On the fast break and 6 feet from the basket he's good. However, he's not a guy on the perimeter with the ball blowing pass anybody with his first step. Sir, I have seen Worthy play and he is no Worthy...

About being a passer. he average 0.7 apg. Over the season he had 26 assists in 36 games...

Jawed Williams had 51 assists in 36 games playing on 2.4 minutes more.

Tim Thomas had 66 assists in 32 games and the funny thing is that Marvin Williams had more people to pass to.

KB will mention Defense and he shouldn't.

There is nothing remotely defensive about MWill. He doesn't block shots even though he's athletic and has all that reach. He doesn't get many steals.

KB will try to boost MWill's 3 pt shooting

He hit 19 of 44 3 pters. At Villanova, Thomas hit 47 of 140 3pters... There's really nothing to brag about with these three pointers. He shot one or 2 per game. Most of the time when I saw him hit one, he was wide open on the kick out.

KB will try to bring up MWill's leadership

Sorry.. The guy rode the bench. Then he did not show up for big games. Say what you want about Deron/Paul, but both of these guys played in and showed up in big games. Both of these guys were their teams leader. Without Paul, WF would be Nothing. Without Williams, there's no way ill goes 27-1. Without MWill, UNC is probably still cutting the nets down. MWill did not show up in those last two games. I was so mad at him in the ill game because he committed a few dumb turnovers.

I will stop there. I'm sure there will be responses from guys who don't consider these facts. However, I don't see much difference in MWill and Tim Thomas. Actually Thomas is probably better coming out...

In fact, Jawed is probably better coming out.

Mwill is just potential with a lot of hype behind it.

I can't remember how many times I heard Lebron James was overhyped, and after one preseason game aganist the Lakers, everyone was talking very poorly about him.

Look what he has done. People were saying how he wont be able to take all the pressure due to his age, but I have yet to see anything that has been a problem for him.

Marvin Williams has stardom all over him.

Tim Thomas can produce some very good numbers, but he seems to be a bit lazy or the Knicks just don't get him involved much. At the tail end of the season Tim Thomas was putting up some outstanding numbers, so he might just keep that going come the start of the upcoming season.

P.S. Oakfor was also talked badly about, because of his back, and that didn't get in his way.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Say what...?

I mean, well, one day Diesel says this player is overhyped, then the next day a player is overhyped, then another, then another...

I get confused real easy, that's all.

Seriously, I wish Tuesday would get here. There's only so many ways we can argue back and forth the same issues...

• Premium Member

It's true. James did have a lot of hype... However, Lebron was consensus #1 pick.. He had to live up to that. MWill is not even the best player in this draft. His hype is based purely on speculation and in a lot of cases Hope. He has not shown us anything remotely worthy of being called the next WORTHY. Other than he wears a UNC jersey.. I guess that makes Raymond Felton the next Kenny Smith. I guess that makes McCants the next Jordan.

I asked.. Tell me the difference between MWill and Tim Thomas. no takers? But don't tell me what you gut says or how you feel, try to back it up with something other than the hype machine readout. If you haven't seen but 1 UNC game this year then you need not say anything.

• Premium Member

But in every instance, didn't I provide information to prove my case.

I mean, come on.. MWill does not project better than Jawed Williams... A guy that plays in the same system for the same amount of time puts together better stats and showed up bigger in big games... and he's considered a 2nd round prospect at best. Why is MWill considered #2 overall? I say it's HYPE!

Give me a freaking break!

You've probably seen Marvin Williams play, what, two times in his entire career.

So, all the scouts are wrong and the great diesel is telling the truth about Marvin. Yeah, whatever man!

I take it that when Billy drafts Marvin, we are going to be subjected to the daily "Marvin Williams for XXXXX" deals that will be forthcoming from diesel.

That's the difference between Tim Thomas and Marvin Williams. Marvin understands the game of basketball (IQ) and has a great work ethic. Tim Thomas is a dumbass when it comes to basketball and has no work ethic whatsoever.

• Premium Member

If UNC didn't have May dominating that game, they wouldn't have won it.

I know Williams hit the big shot and got fouled late...

But damn... Wasn't that the game where May put up 24pts/24 rebs?

I'm sorry, I can't recognize Williams for hitting a timely shot when May was carrying the team on his back the whole game. The same thing happened against Ill.. May carries team on his back. Williams hits the tip in.

Should Williams get credit for that vic too?

If you're a Duke fan, you should be happy to see May gone...

Who would you rather come back..

May or Marvin?

I think solves the question!

• Premium Member

Read Me

Quote:

Jesse (Hampton): If the hawks got the #1 pick in the draft who would you want them to draft?

Josh Smith: Either the Bogut kid from Utah or the Deron Williams kid from Illinois.

Now KB... It seems to me that Josh and Marvin go back a ways. Josh has played AAU ball with Marvin and he knew that Marvin was coming out at the time of the interview. I would take it that J-Smoove represents an expert opinion being that he has been on the very same floor competitively with Williams.

And when asked who do you want on your team to make your team better in the future.. Josh mentioned 2 players and neither was Marvin??

Neither was Marvin!!

It doesn't matter how many UNC games I watched. I watch a lot of college basketball, so there is no telling how many times I've seen Marvin play.

Show me one scouting report that doesn't say that Marvin has more upside than any player in this draft.

• Premium Member

Quote:

But in every instance, didn't I provide information to prove my case.

First, I was just kidding ya'.

But you're right, many draftees have been overhyped...but many have been "underhyped."

How do you tell the difference?

You wait until they play. That's the whole point - the draft is a gamble.

Again, I can't wait until Tuesday because the bickering has ran its course.

I don't understand. We hate Bogut because he's a big white stiff. We hate Marvin because he is an over-rated loser.

So the only acceptable choice is an undersized thug who slugs people in the nuts.

God. I think I may switch to Soccer.

Being a good basketball player isnt just about stats, especially when you are looking at someone's potential. So Jawad is better then Diesel, let's work them both out just to see, I wonder who'd look better then. I'd put Hakim Warrick or Charlie Villaneuva in the overhyped category, but not Marvin.

One interesting argument for your point is though, let's take the top four picks for this year and stick them in last years draft. If that were the case, I bet it'd go more like:

Howard

Okafor

Paul

Bogut

Livingston

Gordon

Marvin?(or maybe even Deron or Harris, depending on the team)

So maybe he is overhyped but largely just because no one wants to draft an undersized point guard too high.

• Moderators

Quote:

Being a good basketball player isnt just about stats, especially when you are looking at someone's potential. So Jawad is better then Diesel, let's work them both out just to see, I wonder who'd look better then. I'd put Hakim Warrick or Charlie Villaneuva in the overhyped category, but not Marvin.

One interesting argument for your point is though, let's take the top four picks for this year and stick them in last years draft. If that were the case, I bet it'd go more like:

Howard

Okafor

Paul

Bogut

Livingston

Gordon

Marvin?(or maybe even Deron or Harris, depending on the team)

So maybe he is overhyped but largely just because no one wants to draft an undersized point guard too high.

I would rank them based on their stock on draft day:

Howard

Okafor

Bogut

Marvin

Gordon

Livingston

Paul