• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2004 Mock Draft v1 from Hoopsworld, a MUST SEE

Admin

And that, my friend, is what a lot of us posters are trying to get at. Mocks mean jack. You go for what you need. Yes, you look for those outstanding players, but the draft is about getting better at a position you NEED to get better at to become a overall better team.

Right now Bogut, D.Will and Paul fill a HUGE need for us as a team. I'm not denying that M.Will has potential, but I don't see him helping us as A TEAM as much as the others would.

On a side note...

I still would love to come out of this draft with Channing Frye.

Can you people only see next season when looking at this?

How is it possible that you cannot see how much better the Hawks would be with a legitimate superstar player 3 years from now than they would be with a slightly above average point guard 3 years from now?

This is a 13 win team that probably has less overall talent than any other team in the league, and you want to pass on the most talented player in this draft. Why?

We want to continue drafting like we did under Pete Babcock, I see. Ignore talent and just draft based on need.

Did you see the post where I mentioned the NO/Tor trade? If there is any chance that it goes through and somehow we could get the 4 and 7 from NO, we could come away with Deron/Paul and Frye/Webster/or Granger. That would be pretty sweet. It might even be possible to black mail the Lakers into giving up Caron and their lotto pick for the #7 to get Webster to swap with Portland for Green. Then with the Lakers pick we could get Petro or May or Bynum.

you are starting to sound more and more like Diesel on one of his crusades. Nobody here is saying that Marvin will be "slightly above average" so why do you feel the need to bash 2 legit star PGs like Paul and Deron in order to justify taking Marvin?

Every single source on the draft that I have seen has compared Deron and Paul to superstar NBA PGs, past and present. They ALL think that both will become star players. I dont see why you cant see how good these players will be and how much they could help the Hawks young players.

It's simple.

Deron Williams lacks the expolsiveness to be a great player in the NBA, and Chris Paul lacks the size to be a great player in the NBA.

Where Marvin has no weaknessess in his game, Deron and Chris both have obvious weaknesses. Deron, like I said, lacks explosion and is a streaky shooter. Chris Paul lacks size and will be pushed round by bigger point guards much like he was at Wake Forest when he was constantly pushed around by Jarrett Jack, John Gilchrist, and Daniel Ewing.

I can't justify using the #2 pick in the draft on an Andre Miller clone or a Terrell Brandon clone.

and although I dont put much stock into these guys that I have no idea who they are....but I know you do....

Offensively, Marvin has only shown that he can score in one of four ways: open stand still jumpshots, lay-ups / dunks on fast breaks, put-backs and free throws. Marvin hasn’t shown he has the ability to put the ball on the floor and create his own shot consistently, whether it’s driving around a defender to get all the way to the rim or merely shooting off the dribble. If Marvin is going to be a great small forward in the NBA he will need to develop this part of his game. Also, Marvin has shown no post moves outside of trying to overpower his opponents with a drop-step toward the basket. When surrounded by defenders in the paint Marvin often gets his shot blocked because he has yet to show a jump hook, a fadeaway or an up-and-under move. In fact, Marvin’s best offensive move in the paint is trying to get to the free throw line. He will not be able to draw fouls easily against more experienced defenders. If Marvin is going to be a great power forward in the NBA he will need to develop this part of his game.

Defensively, Marvin still needs to improve his footwork to be able to guard quicker players on the perimeter and he needs to add some strength to guard some of the stronger players in the post. He also needs to improve his defensive communication, especially on pick and roll situations. While Marvin has the tools to be a good shotblocker we have yet to see it from him. Per minutes played, he was only equal to Jawad Williams and slightly behind Rashad McCants in this aspect of the game.

Here might lay the biggest question mark with Marvin. While his versatility can viewed as a strength, the fact he is still a bit of a tweener can not. Is he going to primarily play small forward or power forward in the NBA? Can he become great at one of the forward spots or will he merely be good at both? That’s the tough part about Marvin. At this point in his career it’s almost impossible to project just what kind of player he is going to be or what position he will end up playing the most.

http://www.layerfx.com/squawk/vids/2005/dr...otion_trans.wmv

Just watch the clip.

The very first thing they show is, oh my gosh, Marvin Williams putting the ball on the floor, getting into the lane, and creating his own shot. The third clip shows Marvin putting the ball on the floor and creating his own shot. Another clip shows Marvin putting the ball on the floor and creating a shot for a teammate.