• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Comparison of the "trio" of PGs

Admin

Deron Williams

Key Stat: A/TO ratio 2.4/1

Draft Projection: No. 2 to 6 overall

Similarities: Jason Kidd

Notes: Williams, not Wake Forest's Chris Paul, was the best point guard in the NCAA Tournament. His performance should come as no surprise to Insider readers. We first ranked Williams as the No. 2 point-guard prospect in the draft at the start of the season after scouts raved about his play last summer. That really hasn't changed all year.

Positives: Williams has firmly established himself as the second-best point guard prospect in the draft behind Chris Paul. While Paul is getting tagged as the best point guard prospect since Jason Kidd, Williams is getting the rep as the player whose style and body most resemble Kidd's. Williams' floor leadership skills, strong body and physical defense make the comparisons work. "Deron is a lot like Kidd in the half court," one NBA scout said. "They play the same way. They're both straight-line guys. Once he gets his hip on you, he's gone. Deron's not as fast as Kidd in the open court, but Deron can shoot. Jason can't."

Chris Paul

Key Stat: A/TO ratio 2.4/1

Draft Projection: No. 3 to 6 overall

Similarities: Isiah Thomas

Notes: Former McDonald's All-American. A Winston-Salem native who always dreamed of playing at Wake Forest. Has struggled with the decision of whether to leave school due to his loyalty to the program. Bobcats GM Bernie Bickerstaff is a huge fan and would love to keep Paul in state as part of his rebuilding of the Bobcats.

Positives: Paul is T.J. Ford with a jumper. He's lightning quick, has unbelievable court vision, is a superb decision-maker and shoots the lights out from the field and the 3-point line. He pushes the ball relentlessly on offense and already is one of the best penetrators in the game. Despite the pace he plays out, he keeps turnovers to a minimum. His defense is also top notch. He'll be one of the steals leaders in the NBA when he gets there.

Raymond Felton

Key Stat: A/TO ratio 1.9/1

Draft Projection: No. 5 to 13 overall

Similarities: A quicker Jamaal Tinsley

Notes: Felton has declared for the draft and hired Yao Ming's agent, Bill Duffy.

Positives: Blazing speed and excellent court vision are Felton's best attributes. He's absolutely terrific in the open court and loves to push the ball up the floor. He's built like a quarterback and plays like it on the floor -- directing traffic, making pinpoint passes and weaving through the defense to get to the basket. He's also a top-notch defender. Scouts have blasted his shooting stroke in the past, but he shot 44 percent from 3-point range this season.

So, which PG should we take if we do take one. Isiah Thomas, Jason Kidd, or Jamaal Tinsley. Yeah KB, thats a real equal "trio" dude.

• Premium Member

lol @ Dolfan, how are you going to go by who they are compared to? That makes NO sense whatsoever. Felton is a great defender, super quick, more hops than either Paul or Williams (he jumps much higher than his vertical), I believe he is a better passer than both also. The only thing against him is his shot, but he shot like 44% from 3! Deron shot 36%, and Deron is also only a 60% free throw shooter! Tell me how Deron is going to keep up with the likes of Francis, Marbury, Iverson, Kidd, Nash, Wade, Arenas and all the other super quick PG's today. All the good PG's are quick as hell, I just don't see Deron keeping up with them, now that's not to say that it can't happen, but just unlikely IMO. Let's not forget that he had Dee Brown on his team who guarded the quickest player most of the time, and we know how quick Dee is. I don't think his defense will translate as well as everyone assumes. Deron's NCAA performance is just blinding people, he wasn't even considered a top 15 pick before that.

if Felton is faster, quicker, as good or better of a shooter, better passer, better running the break, better defender, etc. as you claim he is.......then why is NOBODY talking about him getting picked before Deron or Paul?

So, are you trying to say that Felton is not faster and quicker than the other two? Are you trying to say that he isn't the best fast break point guard in this draft?

You will go to no lengths to make up stuff to denigrate a player you don't like, won't you?

I dont care if he is faster, quicker, or better on the break when you consider that he is only SLIGHTLY better at those things.

Paul is a much better shooter and dribbler and runs a team in the half court set better than anyone. He can also score almost at will if his teammates arent getting it done. Felton cannot do that.

Deron is much stronger and is a LOCK DOWN defender from the PG spot. We could put him on Billups from day 1 and not have to worry about it. Neither Paul nor Felton could even dream of that. Deron is the best mid range shooting PG that has come out in God only knows how long. That is a vastly underrated part of a PGs game.

Felton turns the ball over more than both of them, even with better teammates and a system that thrives on the fast break.

I want my PG to be able to run the break and run the half court offense. I want him to be able to completely shut down the opposing PG. While Felton can dribble the ball up the court quicker, Deron gets the ball up the court quicker because he is smart enough to realize that he doesnt need to dribble since he can pass it and passing it up the court is faster and more fundamental.

Look, unlike you, I dont have to bash the other players to promote my guys that I like. I think that Bogut, Marvin, Deron, Paul, and even Felton will all be good NBA players. I just dont see Felton on the same level as Deron and Paul and clearly Billy doesnt either.

Hopefully you havent forgotten what he said about their being 4 stars in this draft and we will get one of them, have you? Hopefully you know that we only worked out 4 star players........Bogut, Marvin, Paul, and Deron........notice how Felton isnt in that group?

• Moderators

Quote:

Felton turns the ball over more than both of them, even with better teammates and a system that thrives on the fast break.

Very true. I will be so pissed if we tanked this season (by putting ourselves in a position where we could not compete regardless of effort) and the best player we got was Felton.