• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

That rumor is really worrying me

Admin

• Premium Member

Quote:

Have u seen May in person...if that is a SF's body then that is a big SF.

I've seen him play in over 40+ games.

And, yes, that's exactly my point. He's too bulky for SF, too short for PF.

There are probably a dozen players in the NBA with similar builds and almost all of them are best in a 6th man type of role.

But he's definitely not worth a lottery pick.

• Premium Member

The question has nothing to do with what his teammates feel about him. Because he could have still come of the bench and logged more minutes than Jawad if he was more valuable.. However, there's nothing to suggest that he was more valuable.

Jawad played better defense. Scored more and scored at a better percentage. Passed better... And is considered a late second rounder.

I think that when the hype machine starts up, there are a lot of things that are just excepted by the crowd then suddenly one day wonders.. What happened.

Marvin Williams is a carbon copy of Tim Thomas. Point blank. IN fact, I believe Thomas was better coming out.

You guys are experts at quoting his praise.. What about his weaknesses...

Quote:

Weaknesses:

(David Mosley, Chris Potts, April 2005:) Despite Marvin’s size and athletic ability he is still very raw and unpolished. At times he appears very awkward and tentative, whether it’s dribbling the ball, fighting for position in the post or trying to get a shot off in the paint. He’s almost a little bit too unselfish at times, but this is understandable considering the team he played on. To this point in his career he has been able to rely on his size, strength and quickness to overpower his opponents. In fact, he has a tendency to rely too much on his athleticism offensively. He also seems to be in a bit of a rush at times and it must be noted that Marvin appeared to get slightly rattled during the championship game (again he’s just a freshman).

Offensively, Marvin has only shown that he can score in one of four ways: open stand still jumpshots, lay-ups / dunks on fast breaks, put-backs and free throws. Marvin hasn’t shown he has the ability to put the ball on the floor and create his own shot consistently, whether it’s driving around a defender to get all the way to the rim or merely shooting off the dribble. If Marvin is going to be a great small forward in the NBA he will need to develop this part of his game. Also, Marvin has shown no post moves outside of trying to overpower his opponents with a drop-step toward the basket. When surrounded by defenders in the paint Marvin often gets his shot blocked because he has yet to show a jump hook, a fadeaway or an up-and-under move. In fact, Marvin’s best offensive move in the paint is trying to get to the free throw line. He will not be able to draw fouls easily against more experienced defenders. If Marvin is going to be a great power forward in the NBA he will need to develop this part of his game.

Defensively, Marvin still needs to improve his footwork to be able to guard quicker players on the perimeter and he needs to add some strength to guard some of the stronger players in the post. He also needs to improve his defensive communication, especially on pick and roll situations. While Marvin has the tools to be a good shotblocker we have yet to see it from him. Per minutes played, he was only equal to Jawad Williams and slightly behind Rashad McCants in this aspect of the game.

Here might lay the biggest question mark with Marvin. While his versatility can viewed as a strength, the fact he is still a bit of a tweener can not. Is he going to primarily play small forward or power forward in the NBA? Can he become great at one of the forward spots or will he merely be good at both? That’s the tough part about Marvin. At this point in his career it’s almost impossible to project just what kind of player he is going to be or what position he will end up playing the most.

• Premium Member

I think that May is definitely not a PF like Dirk, KG, or Rasheed.. BUt he has the mentality of Tim Duncan in the offensive post. I question his defense because he played in the UNC system.... You must question all of their defense.

He could indeed be the next Corliss Williamson or he could be the next Elton Brand. It's hard to say but I think he's closer to Brand than to Big Nasty. I will say this.. He measured much bigger than expected at Chicago.. So his stock should rise.

I also agree with your post, i like sean May alot, but he won't be available at 13...take at 5 and see what is available for guards at 13, may be J.J.

BY THE WAY IF the Hawks get lucky and can draft Bogut at 2, why not draft Scheuscher with our last pick? Bogut would make Scheuscher a better player and Scheuscher would probally make Bogut a happy camper (a team buddy to pal around with) and who knows but at 7' 1" Scheuscher might actually develope into a NBA player in 2 years.

Let me rephrase. he didn't saying he was easily the best this past year. He said he'd easily be the best player (in the draft) in the future, after working on his game. And given his work ethic, they know it's going to happen. The guy's physical and mental tools are on another level from anyone else's on that team, and in the draft if you listen to May.

I really wish you would understand these two things:

- he's getting drafted based on what he's expected to do in the future, not what he did at UNC

- he has a solid head on his shoulder and an unbelievable work ethic

All the busts like Olowakandi, Miles, Tim Thomas all were punks with no work ethic. They are people who conned teams into drafting them high. Marvin williams is a smart, polite guy, who is dedicated to becoming the best player he can be. The same never could be said of the busts I mentionned

• Premium Member

Quote:

I will say this.. He measured much bigger than expected at Chicago.. So his stock should rise.

No, he was the player who lost the most at Chicago.

From DraftExpress:

Quote:

May is the third of the undersized PFs vying for a place in the lottery, has great strength and hands but a sub par standing reach, 8’9. Despite a fantastic tournament, it is difficult to recommend him over Diogu or Simien; their length will allow them play on even ground with most NBA starters, but May’s weakness in this area leaves many question marks. His listed weight of 258 pounds isn’t doing him any favors either. Its one thing dominating 6’5 centers like Powell; how will May react to the situation being reversed?

• Premium Member

Quote:

I will say this.. [May] measured much bigger than expected at Chicago.. So his stock should rise.

another diesel lie!

Check your facts son... May measured in at 6'8 1/2 in shoes. It was expected that he would measure in at 6'7 in shoes. Listen to me talking...

Quote:

Diesel

Hawksquawk Supporter

Reged: 06/08/02

Re: May/Felton/M. Williams all coming out... [Re: gohawks11]

#77661 - 04/21/05 09:36 PM

Edit Reply Quote

I like May..

No Doubt..

But I would have to see what he officially list as..

If he comes in at 6'9 or better, he will be a lottery pick.

If he doesn't, he will be about 20 or so.

May has very solid offensive skills in the low post. He's more consistent than Eric Williams.

BUT. Defensively, he has question Marks.

Still...

with his size, he will get a good look. Because Size and Power sells. He could be the next Elton Brand.. But he has to be 6'9.

--------------------

I said that. I was under the belief that May would NOT be 6'9 or even 6'8. I had been hearing that we should expect a 6'7-6'8 may. may measured between 6'8" and 6'9" with shoes. To me, that's bigger than expected. I felt his stock should rise.

And what do you know.. Before Chicago, he was about 20 on most mocks. After Chicago, he got into the teens and about 13-15 on a lot of mocks...

Nick, you're the only one that continues to lie here... You ought to go back to hugging Bogut's nuts or something.

• Premium Member

Click... then go to weaknesses.

Like I said.. Some sources (before the measurement) believed that he would measure out to 6'7"... I felt that because he measured 6'8 1/2" that he measured out bigger than expected.

Now... I have already given you a quote from me back when he decided to get in the draft. MY expectation from this and from seeing him in person was that he would be 6'7"..

What more do you need? An avadavit? An Eyewitness? And please don't tell me that DraftCity is not good enough for you?

good, u have valid reason to think that he measured better than expected...i take back the accusation

that profile (last updated prior to measurements) says he's 6'8 (and the quote is 6'7-6'8), but 6'8.5 IS larger than listed, so he did measure larger than they thought

the same site somewhat contradicts itself by putting him as the only player in the "lost stock" category for the measurements, so I guess while they thought he was 6'8, the fact that he really was less than 6'9 hurt his stock?

• Premium Member

Contradiction?

I guess that's why they are going out of business.

They have been saying 6-7 6-8 this whole time. How could his stock drop from measuring 6'8 1/2"?? Impossible!

Plus, every other person is saying that May's height doesn't matter because his hands are so soft.

If we don't make a move for him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him drafted by 10.