• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What would be the crime in taking...

ATL_BALLER

Paul at 2? He is being heralded as the next great PG - a commodity much harder to find than a talent like M-Williams(though admittedly, I do like Marvin).

I don't see it as a devaluing of the pick. It would clear up alot of headaches just to take Chris there-

Thoughts?

Why is he too high? He is the premier point guard in this draft, and exactly what we need.

Assuming we don't make any deals for the #2 pick, what's wrong with taking Paul. It would be one thing if the drop off in talent was significant. Also, players like Marvin are plentiful every year it seems - players like Paul are not.

While I agree that there is always a Marvin Williams type athlete in the draft, mainly built up on hype, taking Paul with a 2 just doesn't seem like the "right" thing to do. Gamble on greatness...I think Paul is going to star sure, but I think Marvin is going to be a superstar. Just my thought anyway.

When all is said and done, if BK can do the unthinkable and come away with Ukic and M.Will....I'd be happy at the end of the night.

that even though we can talk about these trades all day long, it still takes two to make a trade happen and who knows if they have offered us anything to move up to get Marvin. The really crappy thing now is that with this Utah trade, there is almost a 100% certainty that Paul and Deron will be gone at 5 so if Billys goal is to get one of them, New Orleans becomes our only trading partner which decreases the value of our pick.

I think its pretty much set in stone that if the Bucks take Bogut as expected, Marvin will be our selection and we will be drafting him to keep him.

New Orleans needs a lot more help than the Hawks do, especially after losing Baron and having to compete in the West. They just might be willing to give up a pick or two in order to move up, and if the Hawks want a PG, it can't hurt!

Hell, even if it was a first rounder in 3 or 4 years, with some protection on it, it'd be well worth it.

But yes, I agree, it takes two to tango. I'm just saying that New Orleans might be willing to at least take the floor!

It would be a crim to take Paul 2nd. Clearly everyone sees this as a two player draft. Saying that I want Marvin, but can live with Paul, but dont draft him at two. If everyone wants Marvin dont let them have them, make them pay. You are in the situation to use the wants of others. You must not be good at business sense. If you have one of two products that everyone wants you dont just give it to them and let them have it for free. I want Marvin, but I agree we need a pg and seeing Paul lob it to Smoove would be nice, but dont draft him at two its a must trade down. Even if it is a second rounder this year, though it should be a first or talent. Maybe Maglorie from New Orleans you have ot get something for that 2nd pick in a 2 pick draft. There are only two spots teams really want

we don't get any of those sweet offers? Those deals you proposed are likely pure speculation. So, taking Marvin is good if we get valie for that pick. If not, it's moot, and we should take Paul, who has the potential to be just as impactful, and at a coveted position-

Conventional wisdom tells you to take the best player available, and at this time most agree that it is Marvin Williams. I want a Point Guard but I am reluctant to take him OVER Marvin; in a perfect world I want both, but we know this world is not perfect don't we. I say take Marvin and wait and see if someone wants him bad enough to sell the farm to get him.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Conventional wisdom tells you to take the best player available, and at this time most agree that it is Marvin Williams. I want a Point Guard but I am reluctant to take him OVER Marvin; in a perfect world I want both, but we know this world is not perfect don't we. I say take Marvin and wait and see if someone wants him bad enough to sell the farm to get him.

Sage, are you Billy Knight? Cuz' that's probably what he's thinking...

No, I am not, just a bivocational man with a newborn who sneaks on this board from time to time. The closest I ever been to being Mr. Knight is having lunch near him at the CNN center downtown, (He and Nique were having lunch).

I lobbied hard to pick a point with the two but now that portland has pulled the trigger, I think we must take williams if we are going to have any leverage in deal making this summer.

Quote:

Exactly, Paul at two would be a waste of leverage. Charlotte has already offered their 5 and 13 and BK turned them down. We will see as the night goes on.

Wish I could join the chat but I work a weird shift, time for me to get ready for work. But you can bet, I will be breaking the rules tonight as I keep up with this on espn.com

Go Hawks!

What leverage? Lets assume that the Hawks do pick Marvin. Utah is trading up to get a point guard, they do not need a forward (Kirilenko, Boozer, Harpring). NO needs a point guard also and will select either Paul or Deron depending on who Utah selected. At that point Charlotte does not have anything the Hawks would want at 5. So the only trading partner is NO, and there is nothing from their team the Hawks would want other then Magloire and possibly JR. They are not unloading JR to move up two spots. That leaves Magloire, but they want two first rounders this year, the Hawks have one.

Point is, the Hawks have no leverage. Trading to get back into the first round is not a guarantee, the only assets the Hawks have are Harrington, 31 and a future pick. If you trade Harrington the team will way way too young.