• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

BK on 790 the zone: Salim a PG

Lascar78

Obviously I can't make a full transcript, but basically the most important stuff was what he said about Salim. He said he would be playing the point, even though he's a shooter. He said too much is made of position. He said Salim is not "a certain kind" of PG, but that he would be guarding PGs, and bringing the ball up. In the offense, he's a shooter obviously, and will prevent the D from collapsing on the young guns on the inside. He said Chill had given him high praise about Salim, and that they loved that Salim had hit 6 game winning shots this last season alone.

He also mentionned that they did indeed try to get Jack but they wanted too much, and that he was interested in Robinson even though he didn't fit his long and atletic model.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

I think he'll get exactly what he needs. I don't know how much of a distributor or playmaker he will be. But he certainly has the quickness and handles to bring the ball up and setup a play. He's also got the shot to force defenders to stay on him, which is something we've sorely lacked. I think he'll be just fine in that respect and he's a seasoned player who knows how to play.

• Premium Member

I'm not feeling it. BK has no respect for positions. I think he will learn that there is a reason why positions are important in basketball and that there are types...

I think he will learn this when we play Utah and Deron Shuts Salim down and we can't get the ball across the halfcourt line. It happened to JT.. Salim will face the same tribulations.

I think he will learn it with our "Forwards" when we play a team like Detroit and Rasheed is shooting over everybody with no discouragement.

Quote:

Obviously I can't make a full transcript, but basically the most important stuff was what he said about Salim. He said he would be playing the point, even though he's a shooter. He said too much is made of position. He said Salim is not "a certain kind" of PG, but that he would be guarding PGs, and bringing the ball up. In the offense, he's a shooter obviously, and will prevent the D from collapsing on the young guns on the inside. He said Chill had given him high praise about Salim, and that they loved that Salim had hit 6 game winning shots this last season alone.

He also mentionned that they did indeed try to get Jack but they wanted too much, and that he was interested in Robinson even though he didn't fit his long and atletic model.

I just listened to the same interview, and I think you are reading into what he was saying. Salim was definitely drafted to be a shooter. BK did say that he could bring the ball up the floor, but I don't think he anointed him our starting PG. Also, I don't think he meant that Salim would always be playing PG when he's in the game.

Diaw brings the ball up the floor sometimes too, and guards PGs, but he is not always playing the PG position when he's on the floor. I think what BK was getting at is that Salim was drafted to be a shooter, and as the shooter he could be bringing the ball up some of the time. Nothing he said made me conclusively believe that Salim is our PG.

I think Salim is a good pick but I am absolutely baffled as to who this team expects to play point guard next season. I imagine free agency will shed some light on this.

So I love what the team has done in terms of stockpiling talent at the 2,3, and 4 position but am confused as to the complete disregard for the point guard and center positions.

Quote:

I think he will learn it with our "Forwards" when we play a team like Detroit and Rasheed is shooting over everybody with no discouragement.

When we get to the point Detroit was playing at two years ago=you know=one player away. We will just have to go out and get our Rasheed or Billups.

We are a long ways from one player away, but we just added two good ones last night. Patience my friend, two drafts and four quality players added, and that's not counting Harrington, Diaw, Ivey, and Donta.

You gotta remember Detroit took several years to build as do most teams. Hell, five years ago we were beating Detroit!

Quote:

I just listened to the same interview, and I think you are reading into what he was saying. Salim was definitely drafted to be a shooter. BK did say that he could bring the ball up the floor, but I don't think he anointed him our starting PG. Also, I don't think he meant that Salim would always be playing PG when he's in the game.

Diaw brings the ball up the floor sometimes too, and guards PGs, but he is not always playing the PG position when he's on the floor. I think what BK was getting at is that Salim was drafted to be a shooter, and as the shooter he could be bringing the ball up some of the time. Nothing he said made me conclusively believe that Salim is our PG.

I didn't say he annointed him our starting PG. They asked BK about his position, and he did say that Salim would be bringing the ball up and guarding PG's when he plays. I don't know what else to tell you.

• Admin

last night said he would be our starting PG next year. I take that to mean that 1. they recognize we need a PG. 2. they both feel this guy has the ability to fill that role for us.

There's no reason he can't be a chauncy billups type player for us. Chauncy is more of an SG than a PG. I would say that Salim is further along at this point thant Chauncy was when he came into the league. But many now consider Chauncy to be a top 10 PG in the league.

• Admin

They said that because we don't have a point guard. Salim is not a great ball handler so I am sure we will be going after a PG in FA or trade. I hope trade because the FA crop is not that great.

We should have offered next years Bos first for Jack.

Lascar, you could very well be right, but I still think that you've read into it to assert that Salim will always play PG when he's in the game.

BK emphasized that Salim's role was to shoot. The fact that he will bring the ball up the court sometimes makes him more of a combo guard. Depending on who's in the game Salim will sometimes play PG.

Consider Hinrich in Chicago. When Duhon is in he plays SG. When Gordon is in he plays PG.

Quote:

So basically he understands little about the Pg spot. He

should be fired in the next year or so. Are the Hawks

going to run a triangle offense? If not, then undersized

SG's like this will lead not very far.

Basically Billy Knight likes a playmaker less team. We

will see have far that goes.

• Premium Member

Dies, I have respect for what you're saying. I really do. It's a kind of basketball evolution that we've come to the point that, instead of there being 3 basic positions (G, F, and C), specialization has brought us to 5... and even 6 (ie "6th man" now even has its own award). There's a reason we've reached this point, probably that we tend to like highly-defined roles in the workplace... and that's any workplace.

But having said that, I think BK is correct in a sense that specialization is overrated.

West and Goodrich shared ball-handling chores, as did Frazier and Monroe, as did Thomas and Dumars, and as did Jordan and Kerr and Pippen...

McMillan and Hairston were co-equals as forwards, as were Bradley and DeBusshure; one could argue that the Wallace brothers are co-equals with one being more offense and the other being more defense of course.

The point is merely that there are examples of success on BK's side of the ledger as well.

I think he's on the right track personally... accumulate the best talent regardless of position for now, and save enough salary cap room that when we see we're a player (or two) away, he can go get that.

I don't think he can ever guard a SG on defense. Ever. He's shorter than JT and his feet aren't as quick. So I think anytime he's in the game, he's guarding a PG. On offense, he's not a distributor. So if a guy like Diaw is in the game, Diaw might be bringing the ball up and setting the offense up, but Salim will guard the other team's PG. So I don't know if you want to call that a combo guard or what, but I think we all understand that what he'll do for us primarily is shoot.

• Premium Member

Quote:

next year, or the year after, we'll get that true pg that'll eventually lead us to contention

Haha...

First off... PGs don't grow on trees. If they did, we'd have more than Lue. Secondly... the draft won't produce PGs this calibre for some time. Even if it did, that's still at least 2 years waiting for them to become good enough to lead us to a championship.

Last.. While we're waiting... we're going to start losing our own FAs.. We're the Clipps.