• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

There is no absolute formula to winning guys......

emeans

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm satisfied with Salim because he's a shooter, but this talk of him being our PG of the future is crazy.

Last night in the chatroom everyone was hoping we would draft Gilchrist at #59, and nobody said we should use Salim as our PG.

I want Salim to be our firepower off the bench, if he has to bring the ball up every once and awhile fine. A starting NBA PG he is not.

Exactly....you can't win with these people. I don't care what you do there will be compulsive complainers.

Hell we could win the championship next year and people will be complaining because we didn't win in 4 games, etc.

You can't pay these guys any attention, they know nothing and that is why they will NEVER have any type of decision making authority with any sports organization.

Well you are in for a big surprise my friend.....BK (remember the guy who runs this team) has said numerous times today that Salim Stoudemire will be one of our Point Guards.

Unless you are one of the owners (which I don't think your are), I don't think your word or anyone elses words that differ mean much.

If he turns out to be a good point guard that is great, but he never was a point guard in college. He may learn but it could take a while like it did for Chancey Billups, Antonio Daniels, Gilbert Arenas, Delonte West, and other college shooting guard-to-professional point point guard convertees.

Really not sure what you are complaining about. No one has denigrated the selection. Everyone likes Stoudamire as a shooter, just not as a point guard, mainly because he has never played that position.

Quote:

Well you are in for a big surprise my friend.....BK (remember the guy who runs this team) has said numerous times today that Salim Stoudemire will be one of our Point Guards.

Unless you are one of the owners (which I don't think your are), I don't think your word or anyone elses words that differ mean much.

Well, it doesn't seem as if Billy Knight understands

the position anyway. I really don't understand why

some treat Billy Knight like a god around here. He

hasn't earned the right to get the really high praise.

It isn't like Travis Hansen and Boris Diaw have given

the team alot.

Quote:

Championships have been won by all types of different philosophies (i.e. Shooting PGs, No Centers, Two SG lineups, etc.)

Teams win without being pigeon holed into a tradition way of building a team (i.e. PG must not shoot...only distribute, Must have a 7'0 Center, etc.)

Detroit, the Chicago dynasty teams, The Lakers with Magic. Just about every Championship team didn't have a tradition PG, traditional SG, traditional SF, traditional PF, tradition Center. There are always non-tradition players and positions on probably every championship team.

I say this because I am sick and tired of seeing all of this negativity about players having to be a certain type in order for the TEAM to do well. THAT IS AN ABSOLUTE LIE AND I AM SICK OF SEEING THESE NEGATIVE POST!!

I can't think of many Championship Teams that have had the "Tradition Standard player at Every Position". That just doesn't happen.

Just because Salim Stoudemire can shoot, he can't player PG is absolutely ignorant and people on this forum need to stop with this non-sense. Salims handles and ability to distribute the ball can be just as good as anyone else in this draft. He just happened to be the best shooter on Arizona's team and he had to shoot. That is a good thing!!

Atlanta had an EXCELLENT draft. They are slowly putting together a hell of a roster. Add in a few FAs and you have a scary team from top to bottom.

I reiterate that is NO ABSOLUTE FORMULA TO WINNING, so stop acting like we had to get, what you guys call a Pure PG. There are no "PURE" positional players at every position for a lot of Championship Teams I can remember. Detroit is a very good example!!

Shut-up with this non-sense and praise BK for doing a very good job!!!!Most of you sound like whining children!!

Excellent draft...

A couple of things:

1.They might not have all had true centers... But they

had double figure rebounders that was a factor in the

paint. Don't see that type of player on the Hawks.

2.It's true the Bulls and Lakers haven't had a true

PG... However, they have been running the triangle

offense.... Are the hawks going with the triangle

offense?

Salims handles and ability to distribute the ball can be just as good as anyone else in this draft. He just happened to be the best shooter on Arizona's t"

3.Why was nobody suggesting this guy as the PG of the

future for he as drafted? It's amazing how people start

braging about him because the great god Billy Knight

drafted him. Give me a break.

"Atlanta had an EXCELLENT draft. They are slowly putting together a hell of a roster. Add in a few FAs and you have a scary team from top to bottom."

4.Billy Knight took the safe pick that didn't address

the hawks main need. If Williams had ThAT much potential

to be a superstar the Bucks would have drafted him.

5.The Hawks need a H*llva lot more than a few FA's to

have a shot at winning. Guys that can run teams

effectively don't come as often as tweener forwards.

That's not fair though. Hansen was drafted as a 2nd rounder, and Diaw was taken specifically to help with JT's lack of playmaking and height. If he had gotten the green light to re-build sooner, he would not have picked Boris. Since the re-build,

Childress

Smith

Williams

Salim

That's pretty damn solid. That's 1 good pick, 2 steals, and one potential superstar. He doesn't exactly make himself very likeable, but he's doing a good job of rebuilding for the long term

Anybody could have made the Williams pick. It's the

safe pick. Billy made the draft picks and they didn't

work out. Blame has to be taken for that.

Superstar potential? Why wasn't he taken with the 1st

overall pick then? Sorry, I'm just not going to eat

up the hype.

"He doesn't exactly make himself very likeable, but he's doing a good job of rebuilding for the long term"

He hasn't done a great job. He has so far got the

pieces to have a disjointed team. When he starts

making a move to put a TEAM together then we shall

see.

All of this is subject to your opinion. You think BK is doing a sorry job...that is your opinion and quite frankly you haven't had enough time with BKs team to make that kind of evaluation. Look what mess he inherited and look where we are going and the talent that we now have with spendable FA money. The future looks much much brighter since he has arrived.

The problem with most of you all is you think this is an overnight rebuilding process.....it is not. We are not going to go from worst to 1st in a year.

Again that is your opinion, but I am glad to know most Hawks fans see the excellent job BK has done and is continuing to do with this organization.

Stay tuned!!

All of this is subject to your opinion. You think BK is doing a sorry job...that is your opinion and quite frankly you haven't had enough time with BKs team to make that kind of evaluation. Look what mess he inherited and look where we are going and the talent that we now have with spendable FA money. The future looks much much brighter since he has arrived.

"

What has Billy done? Opps. He drafted Josh Smith. Alot

of that probably had to do with the fact that Josh is

from Atlanta. You can argue Childess... But I believe

Al Jefferson will be a better player and Iggy is already

better than Childress is.... So it isn't like it was an

outstanding pick there. In fact, some say Childress was

going to slip to mid first round. He took the safe pick

in MW and he selected a guy that possibly will be a good

ROLE player.

He did the Al Harrington trade... But if he keeps AL

and AL leaves as a FA then it will become pointless.

Billy has made a really good pick, a so-so pick, a

safe pick and a fairly good second round pick. Along

with two guys that appears to have little value in

Hansen/Diaw.

It's fine if you disagree.. but that's just my opinion.

well, at least we can all agree we're happy we have bk over isiah thomas?

isiah inherited an overpriced mediocre team and has made it an even more overpriced mediocre team with no future anytime soon

bk inherited an overpriced mediocre team and has made it an underpriced bad team that is on it's way to being better than mediocre and has a good chance at a bright future soon

I agree with you about traditional PG, SG etc.--- I agree with CBS Sportsline the Hawks Draft grade A --- but this Message board would not be a message board if you did not have the naysayers. The problem I have with the naysayers views are that by saying we did not fill a need is essentially giving no props to Mike Woodson as a player developer. I think Marvin is super versatile and I definitely think he can adjust to being very good at the 3 or 4 position. Al Harrington and JSmooth can play the 3 or 4 and Josh Childress can play the 2 or 3. In fact Mike Woodson was assistant on a CHAMPIONSHIP Detroit Pistons team that featured no true Center at all. Salim is also versatile and I am certain Woodson can get Salim to play as a solid PG and you get the bonus of him being able to shoot the lights out. Critics of Jason Terry watched Dallas fit JT in just fine as the PG and they were a very solid team. Yes we still need a Center through free agency but the rest of the team is getting solid. Popovich got Manu late and Tony Parker and they just won a championship not because those players were great but because Popovich is a player developer supreme --- lets hope Mike Woodson is because the talent level increased considerably with this draft.