• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Stoudamire vs JT

Vol4ever

yeah and he still ended up with the 9th highest 3pt shooting record in NCAA history. Not to mention that most of them came from waaay back. People not familiar with him are in for a shock. He makes JJ Reddick's shooting look like Shaq's free throws. My money's already on him to win the 3 pt contest next year.

He is also a scorer, used to having the ball in his hands down the stretch. He is not, at this point, a distributor. He is not as quick as JT. He is ok on D, nothing to write home about.

JT isn't really a good comparison except for they're both natural SGs forced to play PG.

Quote:

oh yeah, and salim singlehandedly won 6 games just last season...

jt disappears when the game is on the line

Wasn't JT college player of the year as a senior? Also, I believe he did play point guard at Arizona as a senior. Stoudamire has never played the point at Arizona. JT also had no quetionable character issues coming out of college.

Salim is the better spot-up jump shooter to be sure, be he trails JT in just about every other skill. I do look forward to seeing him knockdown some jumpers for the Hawks.

I should add, that he is a good pick at 31, just not sure he can play the point.

not sure why you quoted those lines and then talked about the player of the year, etc

my argument is that jt constantly disappeared (or rather, didn't disappear but made dumb moves that cost the game) at the end of games, which hurt his value to us and hurt our record

however, salim's being a clutch, take-the-game-winning-shot-and-make-it, player in college bodes well for his prospects in the nba...

My point was that the "disappearing from big games" was not Terry's MO entering the league. Rather, he was a highly decorated collegiate senior.

• Pac-10 Player of the Year and all-conference first team

• AP First Team All-American

• Named National Player of the Year by Sports Illustrated, CBS/Chevrolet & Basketball Times

• Led the Pac-10 in scoring, assists & steals – first player to accomplish that since Gary Payton in 1990

• Career-high 30 points at Oregon – had two other games over 30

• Led team in scoring 21 times and assists 22 times

• Played all 40 minutes in 17 games

Craig Hodges was a hired gunman off the bench for the Bulls during their early championship run. A devestating three point shooter. He actually shot 54% in one season in the NBA and had a career 40% three point percentage. Early in his career, he was scoring around 10 points per game.

I think some downgrade Salim because he isn't a pure point guard, yet some also may be expecting too much thinking he will start at point guard this year.

I see Salim as a guy who will be a hired marksman off the bench. Championship teams have role players like this, and Salim is a player that will be able to come off the bench and knock down some jumpers. If Tony Delk can stay healthy, we should have two very good shooters coming off the bench.

exactly. we're talking about a second rounder. He's a miracle for a second rounder. He's probably not the fix we needed at PG for the future, but he is a fix to our lack of shooters.

That being said, my guess is that he'll get plenty of time at PG this year to see if he can make the transition or not. I think it's our last throwaway year and we won't want to waste any time finding out if he can play PG once we're really trying to win games in 06-07. If he can't, he'll be a hell of a sharpshooter off the bench. I don't expect him to become our PG, but you never know. Alot of players turn out to be quite different from what they were in college.

but did he make game-winners?

u can be all-american, highly honored and still have not made game-winners (maybe there were no opportunities for him to do that)

anyway, my point is that we know jt isn't clutch, but so far salim is clutch, so i'm confident that salim will be more clutch and a much better shooter than jt

I havent seen Salim play, but I have to say I'm pleased that we've aquired a role playing PG that has some caliber. IMO it should have been either a PG or C that we should be after for the long haul. Would you rather have tiny Earl Boykins starting for us? I would but owell

JT was a #10 pick. Salim is a #31 pick. I don't see why Salim has to produce what JT has.

Salim just has to be in our 8-9 man rotation to be a really solid pick at 31.

I think this pick is the most criticized 2nd rounder we've ever had for 2 reasons:

1) We've never picked so high in the 2nd round

2) We expected to draft a starter with this pick

It's really baffling to me that people would criticize this pick so much.

Man you some of you guys are blowing Salim up too much. You have to realize that as good as a shooter as Salim is, he was still a second round pick and not a lottery pick, so even if he comes in next year and averages 6ppg, then it is safe to say that Salim had a good rookie season. Lets not put too much pressure on him yet.

He is just a second round pick.